Sign in to follow this  
KNOSSOS

Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA)

Thank you KNOSSOS for your excellent contribution to our community.  I followed your initial settings recommendation and everything looks great !

We are very blessed to have so many contributors such as yourself, Pe11e, and many many others in our community.  THANKS :wink:

WAT1460.png

I did start with a clean default SHADERS HLSL, so from an untweaked state. Do your sliders take shadow depth as far as RSP? it just seemed a lot less contrasty. I'll have another play later. I do like the additional water controls, and if you fix the adaption that would be great.

Yes, shadows depth could be the same. 

Some examples:

1.RSP settings Terrain brightness = High, Shadow Intensity = High make in GPUTerrain.fx shader following changes:

const float3 sunAmbient = cb_mLights[sUN_LIGHT].mAmbient.xyz * 0.8;  - modification for shadows depth
const float3 finalSunColor = (sunAmbient + (saturate(sunDiffuse * (sunContrib * 1.4 * shadowContrib)))); - modification for terrain brightness

And so did PTA with checked tweaks "General shadows intensity" = 0.80 and "Boost light on illuminated areas" = 1.41.

2.RSP settings Terrain brightness = Low, Shadow Intensity = High make in GPUTerrain.fx shader following changes:

const float3 sunAmbient = cb_mLights[sUN_LIGHT].mAmbient.xyz * 0.2;  - modification for shadows depth
const float3 finalSunColor = (sunAmbient + (saturate(sunDiffuse * (sunContrib * 1.4 * shadowContrib)))); - modification for terrain brightness

Respectively this can be done by PTA with checked tweaks "General shadows intensity" = 0.20 and "Boost light on illuminated areas" = 1.41.

And so on.

Also you can try lower value for "General shadows intensity and higher value for "Boost light on illuminated areas" if you want max.contrast.

Thank you KNOSSOS for your excellent contribution to our community.  I followed your initial settings recommendation and everything looks great !

We are very blessed to have so many contributors such as yourself, Pe11e, and many many others in our community.  THANKS :wink:

Thank you, Vincent!

Some examples:

Thank you for all that Yuri. I will experiment once more and see what I end up with.

:smile:

Yuri

I have finally managed to get it to work and looks fantastic. Restored to default settings, deleted some shaders and used the settings you provided in your earlier post.

It has now changed the appearance of the sim for the better. Very impressive!  I should have thanked you earlier for your work and genereous donation to the comunity, unfortunately I was at work, and plainly forgot to do so. I will have to mess around with settings to try and learn how they affect the sim. In the meantime once again thank you and kind regards.

Yuri

I have finally managed to get it to work and looks fantastic. Restored to default settings, deleted some shaders and used the settings you provided in your earlier post.

It has now changed the appearance of the sim for the better. Very impressive!  I should have thanked you earlier for your work and genereous donation to the comunity, unfortunately I was at work, and plainly forgot to do so. I will have to mess around with settings to try and learn how they affect the sim. In the meantime once again thank you and kind regards.

Great! Thanks a lot, Joaquin!

Hi,

Those of you who have had the foresight to backup your P3D default ShadersHLSL folder, have achieved a good result with the 'RealismShaderPack' tool and now wish to experiment with the new 'Prepar3D Tweak Assistant' utility might consider doing the following:

1. Rename the current ShadersHLSL folder to, say, 'ShadersHLSL_RSP'

2. Rename your Shaders folder to 'Shaders_RSP'

3. Restore a COPY of the default ShadersHLSL folder (always keep a backup).

4. Start tweaking with PTA

You should now be in a position to revert back quickly to the results achieved while using the RSP tool by simply deleting or renaming the PTA-tweaked 'ShadersHLSL' folder and its associated 'Shaders' folder. Then rename, you've guessed it, the 'ShadersHLSL_RSP' folder to 'ShadersHLSL' and 'Shaders_RSP' folder to 'Shaders'.

Strictly speaking, step 2 is not necessary as the Shaders folder can be safely deleted and Prepar3D will rebuild a fresh shader cache the next time the sim is started. The content of this shader cache will be determined by the active settings in the ShadersHLSL folder.

Hopefully, this will reduce the chances of future self-induced heartache if things don't work out ;)

Mike

• Upvote 1

Mh,

i am confused :)

The info boxes tell us, that lower numbers in the shadow settings mean darker shadows...but in the example above, shadow HIGH is shadow intensity 0.2 OR 0.8?! To me it seams, that general shadow intensity is for the brightness of terrain and not for the shadow itself?

Please brighten my brain :)

Matthias

Hi,

Those of you who have had the foresight to backup your P3D default ShadersHLSL folder, have achieved a good result with the 'RealismShaderPack' tool and now wish to experiment with the new 'Prepar3D Tweak Assistant' utility might consider doing the following:

1. Rename the current ShadersHLSL folder to, say, 'ShadersHLSL_RSP'

2. Rename your Shaders folder to 'Shaders_RSP'

3. Restore a COPY of the default ShadersHLSL folder (always keep a backup).

4. Start tweaking with PTA

You should now be in a position to revert back quickly to the results achieved while using the RSP tool by simply deleting or renaming the PTA-tweaked 'ShadersHLSL' folder and its associated 'Shaders' folder. Then rename, you've guessed it, the 'ShadersHLSL_RSP' folder to 'ShadersHLSL' and 'Shaders_RSP' folder to 'Shaders'.

Strictly speaking, step 2 is not necessary as the Shaders folder can be safely deleted and Prepar3D will rebuild a fresh shader cache the next time the sim is started. The content of this shader cache will be determined by the active settings in the ShadersHLSL folder.

Hopefully, this will reduce the chances of future self-induced heartache if things don't work out ;)

Mike

Good post. Thanks for remembering!

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Thanks Mike! A very wise action to take.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

This is a pretty awesome utility! Thanks!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Screenshots guys   :wink:

warm evening above Pelloponesse  :smile: 

eveningpng_5584897_22088757.png

edit : thanks knossos !

Pls upload the peloponese preset (there's sepia in it right ?) !!

One very annoying this with this, is if you untick sections, the shaders are overwritten by default values. I wanted to keeps my own cloud.fx shader, so unticked all the related section, but it was still changed.

It would be nice for unselected items to have no effect at all, so it can be combined with other custom values.

i am confused :)

This is where I went wrong too ;)

edit : thanks knossos !

Pls upload the peloponese preset (there's sepia in it right ?) !!

No sepia actually. Navid's Hashemi sky textures (http://navidh.se/misc_navids_skyset_2016_v3.html) make fantastic warm tint at down/dusk an look pretty good. 

There are some water, shadows, hdr tweaks:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=39306A3D995B2A25!148671&authkey=!ALN_Tp3KvFPPzq4&ithint=file%2cini

One very annoying this with this, is if you untick sections, the shaders are overwritten by default values. I wanted to keeps my own cloud.fx shader, so unticked all the related section, but it was still changed.

It would be nice for unselected items to have no effect at all, so it can be combined with other custom values.

This is where I went wrong too ;)

Yes, but when someone will decide later apply PTA tweak to already manually edited shader, it may cause unpredictable results: no information what was changed before. I think it's quite dangerous for ordinary users.

Edit: However, it's great idea to make in next release separate management for applying core shaders, custom shaders and *.cfg file. But tweaking core shaders already edited manually is dangerous I think.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.