Richard Sennett

Night Lighting

Ditto.  I just upgraded to 3.3.5 and for the first time used PTA.  As far as I can tell, works fine.

May I also say Thank you so much for your hard work on this!!!  With this tool, now I think the only advantages XPlane has over P3D is 64-bit and night lighting.  Just amazing!!!!

For now Chris Bell Black Marble lighting for entire world is in development and looks awesome

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

For now Chris Bell Black Marble lighting for entire world is in development and looks awesome

Yeah, I've seen that too.  I'm hopeful as well about this product.  But, even still, I think X-Plane will still have the slight edge due to just the way lighting works more like the real world than in FSX/P3D.  In X-Plane, light is something that shines on things and those things react to that light.  In FSX/P3D, it's just textures changing, more or less.  Right?  At least that's my feeling on the difference between the two.  So unless Chris is/can do something new in regards to the way the lighting system works, I think X-Plane will still have the edge.

• Upvote 1

we already brought volumetric lightning to all platforms!

the only thing keeping us from fully running all our light as volumetric is current 32bit limted VAS space,

if we were not limited by this we would be running all light full 3D volumetric out of the box as default config,

at the moment it is an option to use volumetric lighting with our system,

(its an option we offer if you have VAS to spare or if the area is not crazy dense)

as shown below; compare left (yellow non volumetric) line of lights to the right orange street lights show with Volumetric lighting,

these are naturally aspired with no added bloom!!! (enlarge so you can clearly see volume lighting there!)

Moscow.jpg.15eec97d872c9bc7d783b17ded17b

• Upvote 1

Oh man looks great - cant wait for this - good times ahead - was a bit shaky but P3D 3.5 seems very nice so far - well done Chris  :dance:

• Upvote 1

Thank you Rich :)

among the 24 different (and not in size!!!) all NEWLY!!! developed light libraries Black Marble comes with;

we included two full sets (set = 4 different colors) of different volumetric styles!

Edited by Chris Bell
  • Upvote 1

thought it would be better to split this thread out rather than hijack the PTA thread.

Vic

• Upvote 1

thought it would be better to split this thread out rather than hijack the PTA thread.

Vic

Nice Vic

• Upvote 1

Vic

Thanks Vic,

was just being informative there; no hijack plans :)

This is the missing piece for all regions where I do not have Night Environment...

Ready to purchase when ready.

• Upvote 1

What is the VAS/performance hit of volumetric lights?  I've seen that the performance hit of the regions isn't small.  I'm hoping that they come in different sizes as well.  I tend to use the smallest possible.  Any P3D 3.x installers for the regions yet?

• Upvote 1

Thank you Rich :)

among the 25 different (and not in size!!!) all NEWLY!!! developed light libraries Black Marble comes with;

we included two full sets (set = 4 different colors) of different volumetric styles!

Just an instant purchase Chris looks like great work :-)

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys,

What is the VAS/performance hit of volumetric lights?  I've seen that the performance hit of the regions isn't small.

that is correct Greg, volumetric lighting is a far more complex model to render then a none volumetirc model,
lights layout is 100% modular, from distance to size, color, and shape, mixing volumetric in the grid is hardly noticeable with Black Marble,

with that said we learn new things everyday; all our new lights models been redesigned from scratch using every possible advantage we know,
the result are volumetric light models that practically acts like a normal 3D light with very little overhead in comparison,

physical size of 3D light bawls is something you can set via our GUI; you can scale up or down any light up to 3 time its original size,
thats why i emphasis that the difference isn't in size! when i say 24 new light models... they are different model each you can resize as you see fit,

Any P3D 3.x installers for the regions yet?

not yet,

i cant be too specific atm, something is coming through the pipeline!

if all goes as planned; something will come up in matter of days!!!

With BM will we have the ability to have the lights but if VAS is an issue have something other than the volumetric model sets?

• Upvote 1

Hi Eric,

YES! you will have 24 different light models to choose from! 2 of the sets (set=4) are volumetric lighting,

the rest (16) are "simple" 3D bawls in different colors and shapes,

you can select any light model you want to use with each road class you set,

further more you can mix in the same class random colors or shapes you pre-assign,

Hi Eric,

YES! you will have 24 different light models to choose from! 2 of the sets (set=4) are volumetric lighting,

the rest (16) are "simple" 3D bawls in different colors and shapes,

you can select any light model you want to use with each road class you set,

further more you can mix in the same class random colors or shapes you pre-assign,

Chris, will the distance thery are able to be seen be the same as in your regional packs or will they be limited to LOD radius?

physical size of 3D light bawls is something you can set via our GUI; you can scale up or down any light up to 3 time its original size,
thats why i emphasis that the difference isn't in size! when i say 24 new light models... they are different model each you can resize as you see fit,

I'll be curious about the 3D, though...not sure if it'll perform well.  With lighting it seems like I'm *always* trying to make the bulbs smaller and I hope the street lights are down in the trees. 

Chris, will the distance thery are able to be seen be the same as in your regional packs or will they be limited to LOD radius?

Hi Kevin,

its the same as with any landclass elements; LOD's are bound to LOD Radius Slider,

we also use proprietary elements that are not bound to landclass radius to help blend smoother your horizon,

ultimately NE's 60Nm Radius is something only NE brings in that department (few other elements as well),

platform developers reserve this ability for library objects only atm,

with Black Marble your NET radius is currently max 12Nm!

that radius is for LandClass 3D lighting only!

other elements we use in the mix extend 12Nm further,

I'll be curious about the 3D, though...not sure if it'll perform well.

im glad to hear that skepticism in your voice Greg; im actually smiling as im reading,

id love it if you can record your first WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW when Black Marble loads for the first time :)

BTW... that pic i posted on the other page is a random spot in Moscow,

With lighting it seems like I'm *always* trying to make the bulbs smaller

our lights? are you sure?

I hope the street lights are down in the trees.

again... our lights? are you 100% sure?

again... our lights? are you 100% sure?

I honestly can't remember if your streetlights are down in the trees.  I haven't loaded them in 3.x yet.  They should be, though, right?  Trees are usually taller than streetlights.  In terms of size of the bulb, it's a fine line.  Lighting is a subtle art, right?  The real bulbs are, perhaps a foot wide.  With some lights I've seen down by the airport in the sim they're absolutely HUUUGE.  When you get up in the air they seem bright...perhaps the halo too large.  Again, I don't have NE loaded so I can't remember any more...still waiting patiently for those installers.  :)  BTW, here's a good RW example video with 6 miles vis that captures the subtleties...

I could watch these night flights all day.  :)

I honestly can't remember if your streetlights are down in the trees.  I haven't loaded them in 3.x yet.  They should be, though, right?

that would be wrong Gregg!

you're confusing our work with another publisher's work :)

as for trees; some are taller some are shorter,

lights should be positions no more then 15-20m above ground depends on their class and application,

as you go with height above ground; the bigger the 3D bawl needs to be to comply with real world visuals,

that would be wrong Gregg!
you're confusing our work with another publisher's work :)

Ah, well, that's very possible.  It's been a good while since I've seen them....ahem.  :P 

• Upvote 1

Hey there,

please have mercy on me if this is not the right thread: As far as I get it, there is night textures and night lights. Both kick in at a given time, like 10pm in summer. Is there a way to have them kick in earlier? And may be have the lights already enabled at 8pm and textures following at 10pm? Is this something add ons can do for me in P3D? Another thought I had was to have night lights running depending on sunlight, not time - any add ons?

2 very dark screen shots following - lights are missing.
2016-12-27_14-29-36-29.jpg

2016-12-27_13-56-43-598.jpg

there is a way to set light to come in or out at a specific time, there is also a way to toggle lights on or off with hot keys,

unfortunately night enthronement doesn't offer these functions with our system, reason being...

in order to have individually timed light one must use FX type model instead of a library models,

this limits distance, VAS and many other functionalities sacrificed ,

the biggest is... all FX model are not 3D model, FX only offers 2D modeling!

the visuals rendered by Night Environment cannot be achieved using FX model!

i hope this answers your question there,

Hmmmm p3d 64 bit does not seem to be too far away.

Think ill keep my wallet in my pocket.

there is a way to set light to come in or out at a specific time, there is also a way to toggle lights on or off with hot keys,

unfortunately night enthronement doesn't offer these functions with our system, reason being...

thanks! Well is there then no solution? No way to have lights at dusk and down allready? I love flying at those times but it never looks real when it comes to lights.

Look at that screen, its 5am summertime at LOWS:

2017-1-3_18-19-44-383.jpg

Look at that screen, its 5am summertime at LOWS:

That doesn't seem right.  Lights should be on.  What happens if you roll back the time an hour...are they on?