Sign in to follow this  
OwenHewitt

Recording/Replay module: public beta released!

Hi,as the FS instant replay cannot save recordings and doesn't record aileron/elevator/rudder movements, and the FS flight video recorder plays back videos with terrible stuttering, I started to work on a module, which can do it better, last year.I decided to release it as freeware and sent some alpha versions to a small group of testers. As I didn't get much feedback on the last version, I now decided to release a public beta version.It can be downloaded from http://www.neusinger.net/recorderThe module has the following features:-Recording and playback of flights of unlimited length-Replaying the last minutes of the flight-Jumping forward/backward within the recording during playback-Looping part of a recording during playback-Playback at different speeds-Elevators/ailerons/rudder will move as recorded during playbackIf you are interested, please download and give me some feedback.Best regards,Matthias

Interesting idea. I'll try to look at it this week.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest ben_hewitt

Wow I love it!, its exellent to see the control surfaces move in the replay. I've also noticed its much smoother and accurate than the default replay. Just one problem I have noticed when you have the controls showing while replaying the screen stutters- I don't get this when the controller is not showing.Thanks!, its a great little module.

Guest Brianw

I'm also very impressed Matthias! Well done.I just recorded a circuit in a 737 at KSEA (approx. 10 mins) & the saved file was only 167kb! I've mailed it to a friend, along with your zip file to see it he will be able to see it on a different system. I'll let you know.I really like the fact that all control surfaces etc are recorded - and the BIG plus...the AI traffic is still there! Great!Just one bug so far. I find in spot view that I do get the stuttering you mention, but I prefer to keep the gradual transition on. I hope you can get around that somehow.Once again, great job Matthias. Thanks for sharing

Yes, that problem is described in the manual. Are you using fullscreen mode?Regards,Matthias

If you use the FS instant replay, you will note, that the gradual transition also doesn't work there. It seems MS had the same stutter problem and just disabled gradual transition during replay.So, I'm afraid it's not possible to solve that problem :-(Regards,Matthias

Hi Matthias,Thank you very much for providing this very useful utility. I've just tried a quick circuit at KSFO. Watching the replay and taking on the viewpoint of a passenger it was wonderful on take-off watching the ground drop away. Something I can't normally enjoy as the pilot ;-)Unfortunately the module appears to clash with the GoFlight DLL (GFDev2k4.dll) as none of my GoFlight comms would work. Neither would the gear lever. I renamed recorder.dll, restarted FS2004 and the GoFlight modules worked as normal.I hope you can find a solution to this as it has real potential.Many thanks,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Matthias,This is an incredible new add-on--an amazing improvement over FS9's own recorder and I suspect it will become a "must have" in just about everyone's list. My system specs:P3/800 (really, that's not a typo)GEF 4200384 Megs RamWin 98I'm including them only to help others gauge the impact this has on performance. My observations--None! Other than the issues noted in the readme, I haven't had any problems. I have some other add-on modules loaded--FDSConnection, FSConnect, and F1_view, and I haven't noticed any issues with those. I've written two programs that interface to the first two modules and they have no communication issues caused by introduction of recorder.dllI've recorded a couple of flights, and they both looked great. For anyone who has ever missed FS98's recorder, that's what this reminds me of in terms of the end result. And talk about smooth playback!I am also pleased that view switches aren't recorded, but if you can, you may want to consider that a selectable option in case people wish to make "Kiosk" type recordings to showcase the sim.Great job--please keep us posted on any updates! -John

Haven't tried it out yet but I'll be watching this with interest!

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Hi.Excellent idea, and so far things look very good. Here is my feedback, only with the intention to be helpful / constructive.My system: Athlon 3200, XPhome, Ch Pro Pedals, Sidewinder Precision Pro, ATI 9700 Pro 512MB RAM, 2x160GB HD

Matthais,,First off apologies....I haven't even started FS in over 5 monthes and still have BETAS to test :-( Shoot.. The first version was nearly perfect except for dealing with LDS. As a member of the of one of the original BETA testers I can wholeheartedly state that this module rocks!!!GREAT JOB !!!!Regards,Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I am going to try this module tonight, I've been waiting for something like this to come along. Isn't it awesome how far FS9 has come? FS10 can wait, I'm having to much fun playing with this one!Off topic: Should we start a "Get John a New Compy" fundraiser?:-lol-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Pilot-The friction locks are causing the throttle levers to stick.Mechanic- Umm, that's what they're there for...

I have to add my sincere thanks for such an incredibly useful bit of programming! Even on my somewhat anemic system (P4 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, X700 Pro 256MB), I've gotten outstanding results. Butter smooth...Having the AI during "replay" is a definite plus, although it did seem a bit strange to have my Liberty XL2 popup under an AI MD80 at Sky Harbor apt...Also, if the engine isn't running, the recorder won't start it. But it was incredible to watch all the panel gauges I've programmed responding correctly. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

"Off topic: Should we start a "Get John a New Compy" fundraiser?"lol - I won't part with my computer until it parts with me :)Aside for sentimental reasons (I built my box shortly after I learned my wife was pregnant with my daughter more than six years ago), I have some great reasons for sticking with my system, even though I don't use it for work any more.About a year ago, with visions of FS10, I was going to upgrade to "state of the art" and basically build a new box. When FS10 didn't materialize I thought long and hard about whether I should upgrade just to eke out more performance from FS9. And the answer was, why? I fly MSFS for hour after hour, and with few slider compromises my fps hover around 20 or so--fine for me. I don't fly with a lot of AI buzzing around, and would rather fly over open country than over built up fps hogging cities. Lockups are foreign to me. I can start FS9 at dawn, and land my last flight at midnight. It's been several years since I've done anything close to a "tweak". I spend my time flying and not stressing over performance, or stability, or whether to spend my next check on RAM or cooling fans. I don't think anyone could argue that my screenies I post from time to time show FS9 in any less beauty than those with near Crays as their platforms.I will upgrade, but I will wait for FS10 and let that dictate my choices, rather than investing in what would amount to a technical "guess" of what FS10 would need. In tbe interim, I have all I need for FS9. FS Nirvana (even more so with this great recorder add-on!)-John

Hi.I forgot to include the Turn Coordinator error, on play back. It shows a continuous Right uncoordinated turn. TV