Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Some images using AS16 and ASCA

It's not on the download page yet Rich - I have asked and will post as soon as I get an answer. They were quite busy trying to get this ready for initial release.

Vic

Thanks Vic  :wink:

Rich Sennett

AS16 is on the downloads page now Rich:

http://www.hifisimtech.com/downloads/

Cant submit for trial code - filled it out properly ? thanks Robert

A trial key was not able to be issued

Well it was sent even though I got the error - thanks

Rich Sennett

A trial key was not able to be issued

How  did  you go   got it sorted, 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Other than for testing, I leave it on global dynamic setting and forget about it.

Vic

Vic,

Two questions. If you leave it on Global Dynamic setting can you control the size and compression of textures that it loads? Meaning can you have it just install either 512 or 1024 sized textures in DXT format?

Also, cloud you post some shots of the clouds and sky colors used in the Global Dymamic settings? Some of the screen shots shown so far with the far our sky colors and crispy looking clouds didn't look to good to me.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

How  did  you go   got it sorted, 

All set thanks  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Vic,

Two questions. If you leave it on Global Dynamic setting can you control the size and compression of textures that it loads? Meaning can you have it just install either 512 or 1024 sized textures in DXT format?

There are settings in ASCA where you can set the texture sizes and even which type can be loaded - Sky colors, Cirrus, Cloud structures, cloud textures.

Also, cloud you post some shots of the clouds and sky colors used in the Global Dymamic settings? Some of the screen shots shown so far with the far our sky colors and crispy looking clouds didn't look to good to me.

Since there are a lot of new users, I'm hoping there'll be a bunch of varied screenshots to give a better example. It's tough because each user has different preferences, especially as to colors and textures. In one pic I posted in another thread, one person complained that the cloud edges were to blurry and another complained that they were too sharp and needed to be softened.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

There are settings in ASCA where you can set the texture sizes and even which type can be loaded - Sky colors, Cirrus, Cloud structures, cloud textures.

Since there are a lot of new users, I'm hoping there'll be a bunch of varied screenshots to give a better example. It's tough because each user has different preferences, especially as to colors and textures. In one pic I posted in another thread, one person complained that the cloud edges were to blurry and another complained that they were too sharp and needed to be softened.

Vic

:lol:

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I thought from what Jessica said earlier in this thread that in Global Mode you can't suppress certain textures from being chosen?

Vic

Ok, fair enough. I'll wait to see some of the user screen shots.

I'm still on the fence with the ASCA product as I have been using a certain set of FEX cumulus textures, a particular set of REX cirrus clouds and HDEv2 for the sky, which I have been very happy with the past few years. I like the thought of weather influenced texture injection, just worried about getting unrealistic looking sky and cloud sets. I can understand the reasoning for not having an ASCA trial, but feel scared of wasting money on it and being disappointed with the textures.

It's really a catch 22 for me.

For once I like the look of the clouds in the REX Sky Force video but am expecting their weather engine to still not be up to par with what AS16 has to offer, but if you want dynamic injection from either source you'll have to have that companies associated weather engine.

Of course I could just run ASN or AS16 with the textures I have no or get Sky Force or whatever it's called and use them together and forego the whole dynamic texture loading idea.

Decisions, decisions....

I'd also be interested to know how much better the actual weather depiction in FSX is using AS16 over ASN. I don't care so much about UI improvement or map functions as I don't use that stuff, but ASN already does a great job. I guess I'll load up the free trial and give it a shot.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have ASCA and AS16 networked  (both installed on my networked PC not my main FS PC) ... so far so good.

It's very nice to be able to change entire sky and cloud sets on the fly.  I only have a couple of observations:

1.  The fly thru cloud effect (appears to be an FX positioned in front of the aircraft in VC view) can sometimes run on after I exit a cloud.

2.  Would still like to see more random clouds (not weather, but visual presentation of clouds - too many clouds look the same).

3.  Performance and VAS seem very good even when using 4096 bmp sets.

A very solid product and I'm glad I purchased it ... some moments of flight do indeed capture that sense of actually flying around and thru clouds.  IF REX or HiFi  can figure out how to produce more randomness in the clouds (visuals) and perhaps some better dawn/dusk textures, I think that would be an excellent combo.

Cheers, Rob.

1.  The fly thru cloud effect (appears to be an FX positioned in front of the aircraft in VC view) can sometimes run on after I exit a cloud.

I think I even had it on the ground departing runway 22R at FlyTampa's EKCH.  Weather there was FEW007 BKN034 with good visibility.  So, I'm not sure why I saw it*.

*At least I believe this was their "in the cloud" effect.  This is my first flight with AS16/ASCA, so not 100% sure.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I thought from what Jessica said earlier in this thread that in Global Mode you can't suppress certain textures from being chosen?

Hopefully Diana will chime in and clarify but as I understand it - you can NOT select which THEMES will be used in dynamic mode but ASCA will honor your selection of texture sizes and types.

@Rob - As you can imagine, the in cloud fx is a precisely timed action. As HiFi gets more feedback they will be able to tighten up several items. 

This is day one - it should be interesting down the road. I also have had several breathtaking moments in various flights..

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Bit hard on fps but AS16 is a very nice product - ASN goes in the dumpster  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Hard on FPS? I don't se any performance hit at all. AS16 + ASCA (Global Dynamic) works perfect for me and looks very nice. 

Philipp Schwaegerl

Bit hard on fps but AS16 is a very nice product - ASN goes in the dumpster  :wink:

Ouch well that worries me now.  I will be home soon to try the demo but I know you have quite a powerful system and if its hard on FPS for you its going to kill my system.

I will just have to try the demo and see.

Sean Green