These were from a quick trip from EDNY to LFML in Carenado CJ2

Using Prepar3d 3.35 - ActiveSky 16 and ActiveSky Screen Art -

27469761514_d9f69791e1_h.jpg

27469761244_baad9bd691_h.jpg

27468958883_ba2b43e004_h.jpg

27468958843_e0b26da19d_h.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I like the stratus okay but, do those TCU look a little weird?

• Upvote 2

Ya something isn't right, it looks like a bunch of small clouds smashed together to make the TCU look big. 

I hate to say it, but those Cumulus clouds look terrible. Far too busy, with odd shading and like nothing I've seen in nature.

I'd have to agree with the above. The cloud textures don't look right to me. Kind of hard looking like the older generations of REX clouds that looked like they were pasted into the sky.

How's in-cloud performance compared to ASN?

No significant difference here, but I do avoid loading 4096 textures.

And there's a wide variety of cloud textures to chose from.

No significant difference here, but I do avoid loading 4096 textures.

And there's a wide variety of cloud textures to chose from.

Thanks for the answer, Wayne.  I was hoping for an increase in performance in broken / ovc ceiling. Will still buy AS16/ASCA tho.

cheers

-E

I agree with the above comments. The clouds do not look convincing for a 2016 product.

• Upvote 1

I think i'll use REX's new Force Product and use AS16's WX engine......REX + HiFi has always been a great combo .

• Upvote 4

I think i'll use REX's new Force Product and use AS16's WX engine......REX + HiFi has always been a great combo .

I was thinking the same but you need ASCA if you want it AS16 to be able to load new texture sets on the fly, it's part of the integration. If you use the new REX product it will work but without the realtime texture changes.

I have to admit I am a bit disappointed in the shots Vic posted as the clouds don't look that good to me.

Although I'm really looking forward to AS16, I can't say I'm overly impressed with the ACSA cloud textures in some of those pics.  The REX soft clouds have made clouds look much more realistic for me.  

Having said that, I'm looking forward to experimenting when this is eventually released.

thanks for posting Vic.

Again, there's a variety of cloud textures and texture sizes available with ASCA.

I like the stratus okay but, do those TCU look a little weird?

Have to agree with that.

That extreme .3 zoom usually does not help with cloud appearance though.

gb

I was thinking the same but you need ASCA if you want it AS16 to be able to load new texture sets on the fly, it's part of the integration. If you use the new REX product it will work but without the realtime texture changes.

I have to admit I am a bit disappointed in the shots Vic posted as the clouds don't look that good to me.

If I'm not mistaken REX Skyforce actually replaces the complete cloud system within both FSX and P3D, it also works with all 3rd party weather engines, realtime textures by REX will be applied whichever engine you use.

Again, there's a variety of cloud textures and texture sizes available with ASCA.

It would be interesting to see some other sets then. Not all REX sets are wonderful, with some messy ones I avoid, so it would be nice to see something with more subtlety. Apart from the messiness, the worst aspect of these shots is the number of repeating textures within each cloud structure.

Some more here. Unfortunatelly the pictures do not "render" the physical effects, and indeed flying near to convective clouds can become an even more challenging task in AS16.

Same applies to microburst, shear and other adverse weather events...

Please note that since my rig is an old i5, I run P3D and AS16 / ASCA with mid-low settings. Better results can be obtained - be sure of that... - and as others have stated, you can choose among a good range of themes. 

These shots were taken after searching in AS16 for an area with good activity. I then moved my PMDG 777 200 LR there, took off and made various flight tests ( with the aircraft ), and also to feel the effects of the more active cells.

In the first picture, the Cb is to starboard, and while there is another one ahead, the one I just passed near is really HUGE!!! You can see it's tops growing way above the 777 in the next shots...

as16-1.jpg

as16-2.jpg

as16-3.jpg

as16-4.jpg

as16-5.jpg

I think anyone that has been using REX soft clouds (me included) will find the CB shots in the first post a little unnatural looking.  I have also found that I cannot even use the regular REX cloud textures any longer as I prefer the look of the soft clouds.  That being said, it's nice to actually see some CB!  I am unable to achieve this in P3D although I did use to get nice towering storms in FSX on occasion.  I am more curious about how the texture changes work and the performance.  I've used Active Sky since it first came out (2002??)....always look forward to their new products.

I Like it very much!  I'm looking forward to its release. I definitely see the improvement over the previous version of ASN!  

PS. Cant believe some of the comments in here, you ladies a difficult bunch to please :) 

PS. Cant believe some of the comments in here, you ladies a difficult bunch to please :)

Although I completely agree with the last part of your sentence, :smile: ... the key to a convincing screenshot is that it should resemble a photograph, not a painting.

The cloud textures depicted in some of the pics look like a bad good attempt at impressionism on the first day of art school.

Although I completely agree with the last part of your sentence, :smile: ... the key to a convincing screenshot is that it should resemble a photograph, not a painting.

The smaller clouds tightly grouped looks odd in these pictures.  It jumps out since they're pictures of cloud shadows instead of actual shadows.  Gonna take some tweaking.