Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Has anyone moved from FSX to Xplane?

I think this is the way I will go. I have invested too much in FSX, but I do agree, from what I have seen, flying at night time seems to be awesome in XP.

Great choice,  FSX and all your addons will never bad or wont work when you installed x-plane ;)

Just use the strength of each sim.  I recently bought the FSLABS Airbus for FSX allthough i havent used the sim in a long time ;)  Have not regretted the purchase for a second.

These threads are always very emotional, as people tend to defend their often way to high investments. And nothing riles people up more than other people telling them they are wrong :D

Each sim has their strength and despite some diehard fans on either side, no sim is spectacularily worse than the other.  Some things bother people more than others. Personally i could care less about visual seasons, because the effects of seasons are fully simulated (eg. ice etc). For others seeing a white ground texture is the most important thing.  It's all a matter of preference

• Upvote 1

I tried and ininstalled XPX. We just couldn't see eye-to-eye. It has twinkly night lights and some scenarios which are nice and all but.....there is ALOT of immersion lacking. Sounds, weather, in depth systems, variety of aircraft.

• Upvote 1

I think this is the way I will go. I have invested too much in FSX, but I do agree, from what I have seen, flying at night time seems to be awesome in XP.

Hi Jose, so my question is, can you get that degree of quality of scenery with Europe? Or is it just one single area ie, Colorado?

You want quality scenery?  I give you quality scenery.

It's donationware, so consider donating to this genius!

Be warned.  File sizes are massive, but definitely worth it.

• Upvote 2

Hi Jose, so my question is, can you get that degree of quality of scenery with Europe? Or is it just one single area ie, Colorado?

This is the coverage area for UHD Mesh:

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-uhd-mesh-scenery-v1/

Note that you need 16megs of RAM & a solid video card.

• Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

If Europe is your main area of interest then you are in luck. With Ortho4XP you can download multiple photoscenery tiles at very high resolution. (To demonstrate, go to Bing maps, zoom in on an area until you can't zoom in any more without pixelation. That is the detail you get in sim.) Then you lay down the OSM buildings and trees atop the photoscenery with World2XPlane, (these two mentioned and easy to use programs are free btw.) they will sit atop their photoscenery footprint in sim. Couple this with the aforementiond HD meshes. It really looks fantastic but has to be seen to be believed. It's as real as it gets as they say.

• Upvote 2

I tried and ininstalled XPX. We just couldn't see eye-to-eye. It has twinkly night lights and some scenarios which are nice and all but.....there is ALOT of immersion lacking. Sounds, weather, in depth systems, variety of aircraft.

As always, the priorities are highly subjective. For example, while FSX/P3D is globally more refined and complete, some people really can't stand its scenery system, with vector roads superimposed on pre-baked textures. Now for some people that kills the immersion A LOT, maybe more than sounds or in-depth systems. But a lot of people are satisfied with that obsolete scenery, so for them it's not an issue. As I said, highly subjective.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Last two computer upgrades were done with the intention of running both X-Plane & MSFS products.  They both run very well, even though I can still slow both products down.  I wouldn't get rid of either, or just go for one. May never make it to P3D.

I always wonder why someone will say that they switched, but still miss this & that from the other sim. If a system is powerful enough to run these sims well, then it's certainly cheap enough to have the capacity for both.  

As always, the priorities are highly subjective. For example, while FSX/P3D is globally more refined and complete, some people really can't stand its scenery system, with vector roads superimposed on pre-baked textures. Now for some people that kills the immersion A LOT, maybe more than sounds or in-depth systems. But a lot of people are satisfied with that obsolete scenery, so for them it's not an issue. As I said, highly subjective.

I really do like Orbx scenery for FSX.  A lot of difference from the usual default.  In one instance, a Mister X freeware airport for X-Plane appears visually better than the Orbx counterpart. However, for many other parts of the world, the Orbx addons are what keeps me with FSX.  As I said, no reason to settle with just one sim. 

I really do like Orbx scenery for FSX.  A lot of difference from the usual default.  In one instance, a Mister X freeware airport for X-Plane appears visually better than the Orbx counterpart. However, for many other parts of the world, the Orbx addons are what keeps me with FSX.  As I said, no reason to settle with just one sim. 

If one can afford to spend money for ORBX sceneries, that is fine. Of course they're limited to one specific area each.

Global ORBX addons improve the scenery worldwide, but they retain the pre-baked texture approach and some people may still prefer the X-Plane approach.

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Glad someone touched on performance - XP10 does use gpu more than P3D but it also uses CPU - so you'll still need a powerful system to run addons in city areas with eye candy. In SoCal where I'm usually flying I only get about 20 fps. HDR is on and that's HD Mesh v3 - usually with Aerobask Epic victory or Carenado stuff.

I get about the same with P3D addons in that area.

I go back and forth often - and like it has been said - nighttime flying in xp10 is unbeatable.

Try the demo!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If one can afford to spend money for ORBX sceneries, that is fine. Of course they're limited to one specific area each.

Global ORBX addons improve the scenery worldwide, but they retain the pre-baked texture approach and some people may still prefer the X-Plane approach.

Happily, I'm never stuck with either approach to scenery visuals..........................because depending what & where, one method is always going to look better than the other.  I've probably spent more simming time, switching between scenery visuals in both sims, than actually flying. But then of course, I've always said (over & over & over, all of these years), that I took up real flying for the scenery...

Happily, I'm never stuck with either approach to scenery visuals..........................because depending what & where, one method is always going to look better than the other.  I've probably spent more simming time, switching between scenery visuals in both sims, than actually flying. But then of course, I've always said (over & over & over, all of these years), that I took up real flying for the scenery...

What plane do you fly?

:Big Grin:  :Big Grin:  :Big Grin:  :Big Grin:

If Europe is your main area of interest then you are in luck. With Ortho4XP you can download multiple photoscenery tiles at very high resolution. (To demonstrate, go to Bing maps, zoom in on an area until you can't zoom in any more without pixelation. That is the detail you get in sim.) Then you lay down the OSM buildings and trees atop the photoscenery with World2XPlane, (these two mentioned and easy to use programs are free btw.) they will sit atop their photoscenery footprint in sim. Couple this with the aforementiond HD meshes. It really looks fantastic but has to be seen to be believed. It's as real as it gets as they say.

Actually Ortho4XP creates it's own mesh so the other one is overridden i think.

As always, the priorities are highly subjective. For example, while FSX/P3D is globally more refined and complete, some people really can't stand its scenery system, with vector roads superimposed on pre-baked textures. Now for some people that kills the immersion A LOT, maybe more than sounds or in-depth systems. But a lot of people are satisfied with that obsolete scenery, so for them it's not an issue. As I said, highly subjective

I don't disagree with you, and of course my view is subjectove - as are all others. For me the FSX/P3D offering is a more complete experience as most of the world is covered in a reasonable to high level of detail with a  MUCH broader range of aircraft/airport choice. It's a better tubeliner sim

• Upvote 1

Glad someone touched on performance - XP10 does use gpu more than P3D but it also uses CPU - so you'll still need a powerful system to run addons in city areas with eye candy. In SoCal where I'm usually flying I only get about 20 fps. HDR is on and that's HD Mesh v3 - usually with Aerobask Epic victory or Carenado stuff.

I get about the same with P3D addons in that area.

I go back and forth often - and like it has been said - nighttime flying in xp10 is unbeatable.

Try the demo!

Ryan, that's one of the most important pieces of info in the thread!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Guest Mik75

I love the visuals of XPX. You can get so much free- and donation ware that make the sim just look superb. The flight model of most planes is absolutely superb as well.

If you choose reasonable settings, it will run very smoothly, and there is no need to tweak like crazy, and you don't need to fear an OOM!

There are some very nice aircraft addons for XPX, like the FJS 727 and 737 (200 Adv).

But I am big fan of (modern) tubeliner flying, and there is nothing that could compare to PMDG or the FS Labs A320. I bought all of the major releases for XPX (FF 767, 777, 757, A350), the JAR A320/330, the IXEG 737 classic, but they all have major flaws and don't come even close to the high end add ons in FSX/P3D.

The other weak point is the weather. AS16 & ASCA deliver such an immersive weather experience in FSX/P3D, and XPX is light years away from that.

That being said, I uninstalled XPX months ago, and went back to FSX and P3D 3.3, which became my main sim.

I'll have an eye on the further development of X-Plane for sure, and version 11 will hopefully bring improvements in the weather department. But still, an addon developer has to deliver a true high end commercial aircraft, to make me install XPX again.