Sign in to follow this  
vesalius

Xplane 11 beta, I'm impressed...

That's nothing...lol...at night, on the Cessna 172...when the strobes flash...they light up the ground...AND...you see a high-light flash and stand-out of the metal ridges on the flaps.  I have never seen this in any other sim to date.   There is no pressuring of your mind to accept, that you are at the airport...and watching real-world events...lights, shadows, head-lights, glow from aircraft interiors at the gates...at taxi...PHENOMENAL...

I've never seen it on the real plane, either, since the 172S has little metal flaps that hand below the strobe lights to prevent exactly that occurrence. 

That said, XP11 looks pretty damn amazing, even if the night lighting is a LITTLE overboard.

I had to go look for an emergency vehicle speeding down thre highway, and sure enough every now and then you will see one, lights going and all.

Aaron Tirrell

I must say

[...]

Could anybody suggest some sceneries/addons which are worth looking into? (I'm thinking about purchasing this one, indeed)... You may have gained a 'follower'  :wink:

Do a search for MisterX, his free scenery packages are legendary, payware quality. On the payware side, JustSim, Nimbus, PilotPlus, Aerosoft and a few others have some very good airports.

As just pointed out, there are indeed plenty of great donation/free- and payware sceneries available for X-Plane, such as HD Mesh by AlpilotX, Tony's World2XPlane

sceneries or simHeaven - just to add a few more here.

I'd also check out Beti-X as they also have to offer some super wonderful scenery!

:smile:

I'm positively impressed by the new interface, and the populated airports, at least at the demo region area. I'll keep the beta installed, but skipped buying XP11 right now...

Performance on my old i5 2500 was also very positive, specially taking into account that I had no way to lower "cloud puffs" to 20% like I used to do with XP10 when not using SMP...

I hope something worth happens to weather - even default, and not counting only on 3pds miracles to do the job... I do like the new weather interface though. Apparently we're still limited to 3 wind layers ( ? ). Not really a big deal, provided some good blending between layers is programmed, but my 737 flipped on it's back twice after having set some veering and turbulence ( not extreme ) through the new weather menu.

ATC never worried me too much. It is probably as good / bad as FSX default now, and I think 3pd products can really be welcomed in this area, just as weather injectors.

Regarding the mentioned updates to the PT-6 modeling, I found that it didn't yet make it's way into the pesent beta. We still have the old not very plausible turboprop model.

Wasn't able to check if the Cessna engine still works like it did in XP10 at FL300 and above... because I couldn't find where to place my aircraft at a given altitude ?

Jet engines are still as limited as they were before too, and with less than desirable parameters in plane maker to fine tune.

The daylight period is still wrong most of the year, as can be tested even at the demo area :-/  Not even going to mention the Moon and it's phases ( well... just did :-) )

XP11 has potential, but I will wait until I really see something worth the investment.

Presently I am not using any civil flight simulator ( well, a professional one ELITE is the only exception, for specific reasons... ). I still can't find in XP11, just as I couldn't in FSX ( or ESP derivates ) anywhere near the same quality and accuracy of flight dynamics and overall physics modeling, and even some aspects of World modeling ( with the Moon :-) ) and weather like I do in sims like DCS and IL2, which being combat oriented could even be excused for not including such World modelling details... but they do :) 

I look forward for developments in AEFS2, which includes default aircraft IMO much better fine tuned ( flight dynamics wise ) than default XP or FSX and derivates... Should something worth the re-install happen to AEFS2 in the next months, including the announced Q-400, it can easily turn into my civil platform of choice. The flight dynamics are already there, and can only get better!

But! Austin mentioned some fine tuning would be done to XP11's FDM too, namely in the are of control surface efficiency at higher AoA and near / across stall region. This is promising - at least it means Austin will work again on X-Plane's core FDM, and the potential of that core is, IMO, probably much deeper than I think it already is... I wouldn't be surprised that with some fine tuning in this and other areas ( Moments of Inertia / Radii of Gyration default calculations and fine tuning for instance ... ) a well designed aircraft for XP11 can reach the level of detail of a DCS or IL2 module.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

All valid criticism aside, this is my first foray into the world of X-Plane and I'm kind of blown away. There is a lot to like about it!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Hmm , guess its about time to find some space to install this demo after being a FSX/P3D customer all these years.

Have almost everything worth buing in P3D (95% ORBX/FTX ,PMDG,FLYTAMPA,FSDT Flightbeam etc etc,)

Havent even got a clue about scenerys out there for XP11 actually

Anyone who has experience with SLI in XP11 ? I have 2 x GTX970SC that needs to stretch there bits and bytes.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I'm positively impressed by the new interface, and the populated airports, at least at the demo region area. I'll keep the beta installed, but skipped buying XP11 right now...

The demo area is impressive indeed. But once you buy XP11, as I did, and give the rest of the world a try the out of the box experience is pretty shocking. Totally empty airports everywhere.

After the initial WOW experience (those reflections! those lights at night!) my appreciation for XP took a hard fall. As in 'I will check it again once the beta is done and hope for the best'. Because apart from those reflections and the lighting system it's all very disappointing to me. I won't name everything I don't like because I don't mean to bash XP: it simply isn't the sim I like to see at this current moment. It's all very subjective of course because others already posted they are getting more and more impressed. :wink: Yesterday I went back to P3D for a flight and I immediately bought an extra FTX region LOL because I simply like it a LOT more. Flying in FTX Norway and Northern California made me wonder why the heck I even bothered getting XP... Probably it was just wishful thinking because no matter how nice P3D is, it is FAR from perfect, of course. But I will keep XP installed (since I bought it anyway) and it's nice being able to keep it up to date and see where it is going. You never know where this may end up.  :wink:

The demo area is impressive indeed. But once you buy XP11, as I did, and give the rest of the world a try the out of the box experience is pretty shocking. Totally empty airports everywhere.

After the initial WOW experience (those reflections! those lights at night!) my appreciation for XP took a hard fall. As in 'I will check it again once the beta is done and hope for the best'. Because apart from those reflections and the lighting system it's all very disappointing to me. I won't name everything I don't like because I don't mean to bash XP: it simply isn't the sim I like to see at this current moment. It's all very subjective of course because others already posted they are getting more and more impressed. :wink: Yesterday I went back to P3D for a flight and I immediately bought an extra FTX region LOL because I simply like it a LOT more. Flying in FTX Norway and Northern California made me wonder why the heck I even bothered getting XP... Probably it was just wishful thinking because no matter how nice P3D is, it is FAR from perfect, of course. But I will keep XP installed (since I bought it anyway) and it's nice being able to keep it up to date and see where it is going. You never know where this may end up.  :wink:

Nice little review

Thanks (as a massive P3D/ORBX etc etc customer)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Food for thought Jeroen: Tried flying over Norway in P3D without having spent 120$ at ORBX before taking off..? It does not look anything remotely like Norway out of the box. Last time i checked, by looking out my actual window, there was no dessert in Norway :Tounge: I find the X-Plane "plausible scenery" a lot more plausible than Lockheeds attempt.. makes me wonder: where on (sim)earth do they intend to teach pilots to fly their physical, paid for by tax payers, million dollar destroyers of worlds?  Iraq perhaps?  :wink:

What X-Plane is lacking, in my mind, are add on airports that are on par with the ones available for purchase on the ESP platform. Granted, there are many great, free (!!) add-ons for X-Plane, but hopefully more payware designers will convert their masterpieces in the future! Ground scenery is easier, now that the brilliant Ortho4XP is pretty stable. Flew from Zurich to Barcelona the other day, over Ortho4XP tiles at zoom level 17, and was blown away! It looks so real! Coupled with OpenStreetMap-data via World2Xplane, it is pretty much identical to the real world.  :wub:

I´m really excited for X-Plane 11 - considering what we have seen so far - this will evolve into something brilliant! 

• Upvote 7

For me, this was always my hope - having the real night feeling at an airport. I mean all that light ... electric blue, glaring white, soft yellow ... looks like X-Plane11 will finally deliver this to us!

Last time i checked, by looking out my actual window, there was no dessert in Norway :Tounge:

Not even an afterdinner mint chocolate :wink: ?

How many planes come with X11 and how many with P3D? And what quality are they? I'd be interested in a personal view on this (or a link to a comparison review?).

The 11.00pb1 update (which updated my X-Plane yesterday) seem to have improved performance with regards to reflection rendering... I can run at MAX reflection now, where it was a complete performance killer before... 

Fantastic!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

X-Plane airports need some work - ako AFCAD from the FSX and derivatives World. 

I am only using the demo version ( * ) so, I can't say how Lisbon Airport looks... The old Tagus River bridge looks just as ridiculous as it did in XP10 default scenery ( the real one is a suspension bridge pretty much like the San Fran Golden Gate ... ) but there are some really nice and free alternatives at the .ORG for LPPT and surrounding airfields, as well as W2XP for the cityscape...

I like the new ATC interface. Very nice, and finally better IMO than default FSX / P3D ATC. The same goes for the aircraft positioning menu at the airports.

The moving map is another great feature.

Flight dynamics wise, I can be wrong, but somehow I find all of the aircraft ( and yesterday trying the AS-K21 which I know so well from real life makes me think I am not wrong... ) a bit more damped in all axis. Might the internal Raddi of Gyration calculations have suffered an update ?

(*) and really enjoying pretty much everything, including performance on my old rig, and that's why I am holding on buying XP11 right now, because I know that I will only be able to really profit from what it offers if I can set flight models per frame at at least 4, and run the graphics settings at higher than those I am using right now in the demo... )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Uh? there are about 3000 (and growing) airports installed by default. Something might be wrong with your install. I noticed that if you install HD mesh or UHD mesh for some reason the default airports are hidden. Check your scenery_packs.ini inside the Custom Scenery folder. The meshes should be last.

IMHO, the demo area is not the most beautiful. Many european cities are really nice with the new autogen. The mountain ranges are generally very well done.

Cheers,

Pascal

• Upvote 3