Sign in to follow this  
Manny Ortiz

X-Enviro is OUT

Most of these latest screenshots and videos look really, really good.

Once (if) they ever get around to implementing some sort of a historical weather or at the very least, a basic theme generator, they'll have me as a customer. 

Until then, I'll just admire the screenshots.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

i have a glitch with my xp10/11 where xe wont download current weather conditions. If i restart everything works. It only started with v1.06, anyone seen this?

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Once (if) they ever get around to implementing some sort of a historical weather or at the very least, a basic theme generator, they'll have me as a customer. 

100% in agreement with you as well.

I just bought it. I had the kind of concerns you're mentioning, but the current version allows the following adjustments for the current weather pulled from their server:

Minimum runway visual range (RVR)
Minimum ceiling
Maximum wind speed
Maximum turbulence

I think that should allow flying light GA and helicopters in otherwise prohibitive current conditions, although I haven't had a chance to really test it yet. For me it's better than historical weather because what I want is what it looks like NOW, but able to adjust for smaller planes and helos.

There is also a choice on the plugin menu for CAVOK, so if the injected weather is really rotten, it looks like you can disable it and fly blue skies. I haven't tested that yet.

I'll post some screenshots for lower level GA flying when I have a chance. My Turbo Goose in FSEconomy is up in Prince George Canada, and I'll be flying it down to Kamloops and then Salmon Arm. We'll see how it looks this time of year.
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Curiosity: XP10 and XP11 have a stupid bug, sunset not exist, exist only dawn.  :unsure:

xEnviro correct this bug?

tSxBbK8.jpg

I just checked this and XE does not use this bitmap at all.  I overwritten the default x-plane png with this file and verified that it showed.  When enabling the upper and lower atmosphere in XE settings the numbers disappeared.

Converted the texture to bitmap and moved out the original sky.bmp and replaced it with yours and adjust the time and still no numbers.

I even removed the sky.bmp and XE continue on displaying fine so i don't know what this texture does.

Nathan

When enabling the upper and lower atmosphere in XE settings the numbers disappeared.

So if you disable Xenviro upper and lower atmosphere, default Xp sky textures are used with Xenviro and when you enable these atmos xenviro uses its own sky textures.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Yeah, I think I will wait until 1.1 and then move over to XE for good. Can someone confirm the quality of the winds aloft? NOAA does a good job with this and it's very important when flying online for obvious reasons.

The winds aloft generally seem OK however they seem fairly inaccurate when flying over oceans. I did a flight from NZAA to RKSI the other day crossing the Pacific and had a tailwind almost the whole way when there should have been headwinds, this greatly affected fuel burn and I ended up a bit heavy on arrival.

Midway through the flight I would disable xEnviro and turn on default XP 10 weather, then compared the winds with the ones reported on SkyVector for those altitudes and they were the same. Both sources use NOAA so would expect them to be accurate. I then turned xEnviro back on and got the tailwinds once again.

Everything else about xEnviro so far is excellent and it produces some stunning visuals and effects however I do hope the devs put a bit more focus on areas such as wind data.

Correct, however it seems it's not texture based but shader based.

I think by clicking upper and lower atmos, Xenviro takes control of the armospheric "dataref values", the plugin will build the atmospheric, lighting, raleigh scattering on the original sky textures in xp. Recently i tested by replacing sky textures i noticed there is a change but not very pronounced because Xenviro will do the shader calculations whatever was the xp sky textures and try to normalize or standardize the sky

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

I just bought it. I had the kind of concerns you're mentioning, but the current version allows the following adjustments for the current weather pulled from their server:

Minimum runway visual range (RVR)

Minimum ceiling

Maximum wind speed

Maximum turbulence

I think that should allow flying light GA and helicopters in otherwise prohibitive current conditions, although I haven't had a chance to really test it yet. For me it's better than historical weather because what I want is what it looks like NOW, but able to adjust for smaller planes and helos.

There is also a choice on the plugin menu for CAVOK, so if the injected weather is really rotten, it looks like you can disable it and fly blue skies. I haven't tested that yet.

I'll post some screenshots for lower level GA flying when I have a chance. My Turbo Goose in FSEconomy is up in Prince George Canada, and I'll be flying it down to Kamloops and then Salmon Arm. We'll see how it looks this time of year.

Looking forward to your findings. If you can indeed tone down winds I might buy this and not wait any longer. Concerning the CAVOK: this sounds in fact like a simple 'disable X-Enviro' option?

As of 1.06 you can turn the winds down by a percentage, so you can switch them off. The minimum ceiling I believe only extends to 1000ft, but I've not got it to work properly, if it's really cloudy, it still means I have to click Cavok which just removes all weather until the next update. It's getting better, but still needs some work. I noticed the ATIS reported in X-Plane doesn't match since it doesn't update X-Plane's internal weather. Anything that uses X-Plane's internal weather map will show incorrect weather. Yep, we need custom weather and the ability to use it offline. I simply don't like the fact it uses their servers and there is no way for me to use it without. 

• Upvote 1

The winds aloft generally seem OK however they seem fairly inaccurate when flying over oceans. I did a flight from NZAA to RKSI the other day crossing the Pacific and had a tailwind almost the whole way when there should have been headwinds, this greatly affected fuel burn and I ended up a bit heavy on arrival.

Midway through the flight I would disable xEnviro and turn on default XP 10 weather, then compared the winds with the ones reported on SkyVector for those altitudes and they were the same. Both sources use NOAA so would expect them to be accurate. I then turned xEnviro back on and got the tailwinds once again.

Everything else about xEnviro so far is excellent and it produces some stunning visuals and effects however I do hope the devs put a bit more focus on areas such as wind data.

That's a shame.

That's a shame.

True, but that's also what you get with a brand new product. Take note that it took HiFi years and years to get where they are now in FSX/P3D: X-Enviro is brand new and already on par with ASN in certain aspects.

I just checked this and XE does not use this bitmap at all.  I overwritten the default x-plane png with this file and verified that it showed.  When enabling the upper and lower atmosphere in XE settings the numbers disappeared.

Converted the texture to bitmap and moved out the original sky.bmp and replaced it with yours and adjust the time and still no numbers.

I even removed the sky.bmp and XE continue on displaying fine so i don't know what this texture does.

xEnviro's sky colours are done by hardcoding, not bitmaps.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

True, but that's also what you get with a brand new product. Take note that it took HiFi years and years to get where they are now in FSX/P3D: X-Enviro is brand new and already on par with ASN in certain aspects.

Very true, it's just that NOAA already does an excellent job in this area. Would be nice if XE allowed you to use a NOAA in conjunction with their data.