Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

38 minutes ago, John V. stated there will be NO X-Plane Orbx development

That is true, however you got to consider how many developers Aerofly has (as far as i remember you could count them on a single hand), the fact it's a product that arrived only recently and the fact it offers a more "casual" way of flying, which would probably make at least complex weather systems a bit less needed.

x-plane has 2 developers that work on the sim (ben and austin), 1 person for mobile,  then 1-2 freelancers that work once a while on projects (like phillip with the fmc / garmin  or the guy for the sound mod) also a few freelance artist.

Basically its two people working on the core sim thats it.  People dont realize how small the x-plane development team is. I mean they don't even have an office ;)

• Upvote 1

Orbx has made it clear for a year now that version 4 of P3D will require a completely new purchase of products as the upgrade to version 3 was the last free upgrade!

Sorry, but this is not correct. They said that it will not be a free upgrade but they also said that it will not require a completely new purchase but rather an upgrade fee.

• Upvote 4

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I've got to hand it to ORBX though. Unlike most developers they've been the best of the bunch in terms of upgrading their addons for each new version of P3D - and free of charge. How many other devs have shown the same dedication and generosity?

Pretty much every x-plane developer that supported xp10 during its run. heck most even make a basic compabillity for free for xp11. 

It is the most normal thing you do when you have an active developing simulator. FSX/P3D wasnt used to that for the longest time though

• Upvote 1

Unlike most developers they've been the best of the bunch in terms of upgrading their addons for each new version of P3D - and free of charge. How many other devs have shown the same dedication and generosity?

Absolutely! most other devs take the p*** in this regard, but not Orbx. Plus look at the amazing freeware stuff they give to the community, stuff many would be happy to pay for, but as some say 'haters gonna hate'

I think this a major loss for XP but it'll keep ticking over as it has done over the years. I bought 11/10 but really can't stomach it as a platform and removed it just over a week ago. The only thing that gave me any hope of reinstalling it was the fact that Orbx were going to bring some of their much needed talent to the simulation. I've never had such terrible buyers remorse in giving $60 to a developer before and now wish I'd spent it on some Orbx scenery instead :sad:

Oh well, live and learn.

• Upvote 3

I wish them good luck with FSX/P3D and Aerofly FS 2 (I still don't see why they are so hyped about it: probably because porting to AFS2 is extremely easy and hence cheap)

JV may well be impressed with the plans that IPACS have for AeroFly FS2. They must have had discussions regarding ORBx developing for the platform, so maybe JV knows more than we do?

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, I posted a few things in the Orbx XP announcement topic that weren't all negative (imho), I even posted some lighthearted remarks, but, my bad, I ended a post saying something like 'Who knows what will happen in the future: JV always has a lot of surprises. Unfortunately not always positive ones'. Result: all my posts have been removed from that topic (even the nice and funny ones) and I am banned for a week. LOL Yes, that's JV alright.  :wink: Ah, well, no problem: I already lost interest in anything Orbx anyway. 

I think, as some already posted, the decision to stop the support of XP after the BIG $ R&D of a whopping two weeks :hi: is 1. personal as well as 2. technical (it would cost them too much to simply port things to XP) so in all possible ways this was a doomed idea. It is a shame but I do think XP11 on its own is already creating enough buzz to make it without Orbx. I wish them good luck with FSX/P3D and Aerofly FS 2 (I still don't see why they are so hyped about it: probably because porting to AFS2 is extremely easy and hence cheap). And whenever JV announces something in the future, I would take it with a pinch of salt. Well, let's make that a ******** of salt.  :P

It's called divided loyalties.  If anyone thinks that the team doesn't troll this site, I have a nice bridge in NY to sell you cheap.  It doesn't surprise me Jan that your posts were deleted.  I saw a couple you posted there and they didn't appear inflammatory, but I suspect someone took them the wrong way.

It's the hardline approach to it all, likened to "put up or shut up" has caused great disdain. Issues with download limits, increases in product costs and the subsequent payment option removal hit a lot of nerves.  Then, all of a sudden, everything is great, their all excited to roll out plans for the new year, only to walk back from one major one, which still appears to be a publicity stunt to generate hits to the site and more revenue.  I honestly lost respect for them at this point and that is hard to say, considering that at one point in time, I thought no one was better at creating great looking scenery.  Looking at the company objectively, they once had a great thing going, but now they are trying to become some mega corporation, monopolizing on the scenery market for FSX and P3D, little by little.

I will no longer contribute one red cent to that company, no matter their "direction" or "vision" they have.  I think it's fair to say that for their support, the customer is always wrong, because too many times, I saw people with legitimate issues with the products asking for assistance, only to be stonewalled by the support staff saying there was nothing wrong on their end or they tested the scenario and it couldn't be replicated...world-class support my fanny.

• Upvote 8

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I'm still in awe as to why this is such a big deal to so many. We are even being labeled as "Camp X." LOL

X-Plane has survived and improved without ORBX. I'm sure this trend will continue.

BTW: After I heard that ORBX was going to develop for XP, I posted that it was more of a marketing ploy and that it will never happen. I deleted the post because I didn't want to spoil the fun. :smile:

• Upvote 4

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

It's the hardline approach to it all, likened to "put up or shut up" has caused great disdain. Issues with download limits, increases in product costs and the subsequent payment option removal hit a lot of nerves.

I will no longer contribute one red cent to that company, no matter their "direction" or "vision" they have.

The hardline approach doesn't seem to be a real problem because people like what they create and buy it anyway. I think that most Orbx fans even kinda like the hard approach. In fact, I sometimes also like the approach but things become problematic for me when there is a hardline approach without a clear reason, when things seem rather random or personal or vague. But when it comes to business I don't really care about a hardline approach, as long as it is honest. And in that regard JV sometimes fails imho.

Nevertheless: whenever Orbx releases something of interest to me, for whatever platform, and I think it is worth the money, I don't mind buying it. It's not that they butcher animals or make use of children labor. When a product is good I don't mind if the boss of the company is a <insert your favorite description here> or not.

X-Plane has survived and improved withOUT ORBX. I'm sure this trend will continue.

I think you made a typo there...?  :wink:

The hardline approach doesn't seem to be a real problem because people like what they create and buy it anyway. I think that most Orbx fans even kinda like the hard approach. In fact, I sometimes also like the approach but things become problematic for me when there is a hardline approach without a clear reason, when things seem rather random or personal or vague. But when it comes to business I don't really care about a hardline approach, as long as it is honest. And in that regard JV sometimes fails imho.

Nevertheless: whenever Orbx releases something of interest to me, for whatever platform, and I think it is worth the money, I don't mind buying it. It's not that they butcher animals or make use of children labor. When a product is good I don't mind if the boss of the company is a <insert your favorite description here> or not.

I did! :smile:

That's what happens when you use a small phone.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Orbx has made it clear for a year now that version 4 of P3D will require a completely new purchase of products as the upgrade to version 3 was the last free upgrade! So yes they have wrote that and that's why I've not wasted a penny on Orbx in over a year. Prior to that statement I purchased approximately 1 product a month from Orbx to the tune of about $1000. I am sure I am not the only person who stopped buying Orbx products when they announced that!

As I said. Read carefully. They only wrote, that it will not be for FREE. And that is completely understandable. Tell me something: All the Add-Ons you bought for FS2000 or FS2004. Do they still work in your P3Dv3.4... and do you really expect that. If there is a reasonable upgrade path (not PMDG-style to pay 150% of the old price), then it is fair for both sides.

They made it quite clear, that even for X-Plane or Aerofly you would have to pay MAXIMUM 50% of the price. Pr P3Dv4 i expect 5-10$ per update.

Georgian Virtual Airports (UGMS Mestia / UGGT Telavi / UGAM Ambrolauri)

LOL I actually spend more time here than I do flying! ;)
+1 I have the same problem.  Back to the original OP.  XPlane technology is very different than what ORBX is used to.  I am always suspicious of ORBX support for "platforms" as I doubt they support a single platform well (I still see FSX stuffs in my P3D install of ORBX).  Plus what ORBX to do when there is only one season in XPlane ? LOL

The market for add-ons for FlightSim is very small and is shrinking as the average simmer ages.  I stopped buying ORBX stuffs because of poor performance, their stuffs look gorgeous but flying with sub 20 fps and stutters is not helping.  I would have thought that ORBX would include XP to increase sale but I guess the anticipated revenue is not enough.  

Also let's face it, JV is a strong character and having to deal with a eccentric like Austin won't help.  How many times do we ask LR for seasons and a decent ATC?  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

All of this is transitional... Welcome to 2017. Xp11 has strong merits that will attract allot of people... me included. As per orbx supporting XPlane, as a major contributor to fsx/P3D, it would be nice for them to expand into XPlane. But XPlane has its own characteristics and features for which I would expect more from orbx over a simple port of their current products. I think XPlane is raising the bar in their Rendition with xp11....where you really don't miss orbx in the way you do with fsx/P3D.

Also, I do recall orbx putting up some resistance to supporting P3D initially as well. So, in time, all of this will change and things will work as developers see opportunity. The base product is the key and Xp11 is looking real good. It will work out I think....or bust.

• Upvote 1

The attitude towards this company can be likened to another major world-dominating company who really doesn't care about it's customers but yet they still fight over in droves to get their hands on the latest tech...one word: sheeple.

One resolution I made for this year (I know cliche), was to start aggressively supporting up-in-coming developers, more specifically for XP because for what I have seen so far, there really is some great talent out there.  I already bought into GPB500's work and it's paid off and I am seeing more an more of that sort of talent emerge from others as well.  Since I ditched P3D, I really don't miss the ORBX scenery because, as one person put it, it was just eye candy with a load of ingredients destined to rot the sim and cause more issues.

To be fair though, ORBX's technologies came out ahead of their time.  If they emerged say, a year ago, then they by rights, should have the keys to the golden gates for their work.  Too many band-aids don't necessarily heal the wounds quicker and I saw that with ORBX's scenery.  I give them credit for trying, but at this point, they'll do what they want without my money.

• Upvote 4

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I agree Dave, never been a fan of X-Plane either, it's always had that strange unrealistic look about it, for me I believe the future lies with Aerofly FS2.

So why are you following this forum then?

• Upvote 5

What's done is done, X-Plane will move on as it always has. I think all that has been said and speculated about this news has been said and it's best to close this thread before it becomes another "My sim is better than yours" fight. 

• Upvote 3