Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

P3D V4 speculation thread - may as well

V4 will see  no more either major features or improvements.

I don't quite interpret that in the same way from what he was saying, but even if 64 bit is all v4 brings for now, I'll be happy with that - we have waited many years for this. Doing a longhaul in P3D is like crossing a very weak suspension bridge.  A little too much weight and down the ravine you go.  I'm tired of that.

• Upvote 1

Thing is, without any backwards addon compatibility, 64 bit will be of no use for long months. So it all depends on that - either it brings in new features or provides easy way to update stuff, otherwise Xplane 11 will replace it as it will be at least 1 year ahead.

• Upvote 1

Thing is, without any backwards addon compatibility, 64 bit will be of no use for long months. So it all depends on that - either it brings in new features or provides easy way to update stuff, otherwise Xplane 11 will replace it as it will be at least 1 year ahead.

Not too concerend about waiting for everythig to catch up - even if it is 12 months.  That's a given - but the sooner 64 bit arrives, the sooner all of that can happen.

otherwise Xplane 11 will replace it

Not for me.  

• Upvote 1

Issue is for most of it (probably apart from PMDG and some less complex airports) you'll need to pay again. So same sim but on 64 bit, yet necessity to repurchase most of addons is simply a showstopper for many who don't sleep on moneybags. To make transition smoother, LM would need to work with addon makers now so they know what to prepare to and how to optimize the release (also cost-wise).

Noone said that this hobby is cheap, but paying twice for same stuff but on different code does not seem a deal of the year.

So again - I sincerely hope they will improve native sim to at least XP11 level texture wise.

So again - I sincerely hope they will improve native sim to at least XP11 level texture wise.

That would be a significant change. I'm not hopeful.

Truth is for me the biggest pain of FSX/P3D is LOD radius limitation. I guess 64 bit opens up possibility to fix that, so if not with initial release, let's hope that at least one day. One thing is certain, any more investments in 32 bit addons are pretty much pointless now, unless creators mention free upgrade for future code.

Are you able to run two main versions of P3D side-by-side? V3 and V4.

Making a complete break to V4 would be almost pointless in the early stages - since we dont know whether any developers are involved with LM's V4 or not.

Issue is for most of it (probably apart from PMDG and some less complex airports) you'll need to pay again. So same sim but on 64 bit, yet necessity to repurchase most of addons is simply a showstopper for many who don't sleep on moneybags. To make transition smoother, LM would need to work with addon makers now so they know what to prepare to and how to optimize the release (also cost-wise).

Noone said that this hobby is cheap, but paying twice for same stuff but on different code does not seem a deal of the year.

Guaranteed PMDG will charge again for a 64 bit version.  There may be one exception in the 747 but only because they know if they don't offer this nobody would buy it for P3D v3.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I believe VR technology is the future and suspect the 64 bit LM platform will assist the next generation of VR Headsets, which are going down the higher definition route.

We already see many new VR features available in p3dv3.4, but the more pixels you render the more VAS you need. My P3dv3.4 HF2 is, I believe, at the limit of what's possible, VAS wise, with Orbx, Fly Tampa, PMDG, with advanced weather rendering engines, Oom's are always just around the next cloud!

Before I join the Hightflight set, I would like to see high definition VR, (so I can read the gauges) smooth render, no more Oom's, scenery with Orbx but minus the silly oversized "cartoon" houses...:-)

Regards

David

Guaranteed PMDG will charge again for a 64 bit version.

RR is on record as saying they will not charge for a 64bit update for the NGX, I would hope after buying the NGX for both FSX and P3D at full price, that he would stick to his word.

I don't quite interpret that in the same way from what he was saying, but even if 64 bit is all v4 brings for now, I'll be happy with that - we have waited many years for this. Doing a longhaul in P3D is like crossing a very weak suspension bridge.  A little too much weight and down the ravine you go.  I'm tired of that.

Your post has a quote of mine that you edited. I originally referred to V3 and you changed that to V4. I suggest that the Mods correct your post. I wrote that P3d V3 would not have major improvements.

otherwise Xplane 11 will replace it as it will be at least 1 year ahead.

That would be a major step backwards for me. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

RR is on record as saying they will not charge for a 64bit update for the NGX, I would hope after buying the NGX for both FSX and P3D at full price, that he would stick to his word.

You are talking about a company known for nickel and diming its customers. Don't believe it for one hot second.

You are talking about a company known for nickel and diming its customers. Don't believe it for one hot second.

The statement behind price of their addons was that license will be compatible, look here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/461729-08feb15-p3d-pricing-policy-some-facts-on-this-issue/

If not, then it would be false advertising and they would face plenty of issues in such case. Dont believe for one hot second they will risk everything here. 

That would be a major step backwards for me. 

Depends. There are areas where Xplane 11 is much better and there are areas where it cannot compete with P3D. Thing is - it's the right time to have it all in one sim after 10 years from FSX release.

Your post has a quote of mine that you edited. I originally referred to V3 and you changed that to V4.

I thought you had made a mistake and meant v4. Apologies. But I think we all accept that no further changes will be coming for V3 anyway as we are on the threshold of a V4 release?