Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

XP11 vs FSX

It is like comparing Chevy to Ford, apples to oranges. 

I have FSX, P3D and XP10 on my pc.  I still fly FSX & P3D.  XP10 is in hangar indefinitely, XP11 is not an option until it can offer the quality level of addons I use when I fly, and has the bugs/kinks worked out. 

I fly tubeliners (PMDG) 98% of the time, using AS2016, REX4 TD, PF3 and ProATC-X.  XP10 can't come close to matching the imersion of IFR tubeliner flying.  This is strictly my opinion, and yes, I have a lot of addons for all 3 sims to be able to make my decision.  YMMV.  However, I don't go around telling everyone A is better than B, because I have my own standards that won't match everyone else's!  I simply get tired of the bashing, in either direction.

There, I've spoken my peace and counted to 3.

• Upvote 4

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

You woke up with an ironic attitude, didn't you?

Nope, I woke up after a great Sunday playing DCS and IL.2 BoX, with their unique flight dynamics modeling, and thinking that should I be interested in simulating a good Airbus, with good weather modeling ( visuals and effects ), systems detail, and even flight law implementation and flight and overall physics modeling quality, my only option right now  should be FSLabs A320 over FSX or even better FSX:SE... with a good weather injector and Steve's DX10 fixer, or wait for it's release for P3D in which I'm not interested because I would have to pay a lot more for nearly the same experience...

How many years will I have to wait for anything similar for XP11 ? 

But the same would apply if I seek a 777, a 737 NGX, a Q-400, a C172 or C182 or Comanche, a B377, a Constellation, Spitfire, p51d, Fw190, Bf109 ( well the MLDAG is a good exception though still lacking in many aspects... ) and many other detailled addon aircraft for FSX I could never find for XP11...

I also woke up thinking that in that old sim ( MSFS )  it's now Winter and I see snow, and white land alover the places where it should be ... When will I have it ( if ever ) along the XP11 run ? And yes it's effects are modeled, just as good as they are in X-Plane 11, less the more detailled icing model that Austin is now starting to work in, and I recognize as a promissing feature!

And I woke up thinking  that even for flying a simple glider, with a plausible soaring-oriented weather engine, the best I can get from a generic sim is still provided by MSFS or P3D, with a good weather injcetor or even CumulusX!, or using the specific soaring sims which do a an even much better job ...

So, I woke up basically thinking I regret having spent my money, again, in X-Plane.... even if I did it to support the cause .... and even if I do believe Austin, moved by the need to really invest in the details of his sim, will start working on the FDM a lot more than he did for XP10, so I hope... For that money I could have bought the Gazelle for DCS World ....

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... 

I have FSX, P3D and XP10 on my pc.  I still fly FSX & P3D.  XP10 is in hangar indefinitely, XP11 is not an option until it can offer the quality level of addons I use when I fly, and has the bugs/kinks worked out. 

I fly tubeliners (PMDG) 98% of the time, using AS2016, REX4 TD, PF3 and ProATC-X.  XP10 can't come close to matching the imersion of IFR tubeliner flying.  This is strictly my opinion, and yes, I have a lot of addons for all 3 sims to be able to make my decision.  YMMV.  However, I don't go around telling everyone A is better than B, because I have my own standards that won't match everyone else's!  I simply get tired of the bashing, in either direction.

which is perfectly fine. i think noone disagrees that the biggest bastion of p3d is the tubeliner business to big payware airports.  thats the reason alot of people have p3d. we will never get a gem like the fslabs, pmdg will move over but that takes some years still until everything is there.

However, I don't go around telling everyone A is better than B, because I have my own standards that won't match everyone else's!  I simply get tired of the bashing, in either direction.

A wise man has spoken.

I own FSX, P3D3, XP11, and AF2 and made up my mind about them according to my preferences. I am not going to talk someone else into changing as long as he's happy.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

A wise man has spoken.

I own FSX, P3D3, XP11, and AF2 and made up my mind about them according to my preferences. I am not going to talk someone else into changing as long as he's happy.

Kind regards, Michael

+1 - and yet, as all the many threads of this kind clearly show, discussing about and comparing various flightsimplatforms obviously seems to be something very interesting to many flightsimmers.

as long as it all stays calm and peaceful, it is great to join in every now and then :wink: :smile:

what are the rest of your specs? did you turn threaded optimization off in the control panel ?

I just tried turning it off. Doesn't seem to make much difference. My CPU is quite old (Intel Core2 Duo E7500), but overclocked to 3.5GHz. I guess 4GB of RAM doesn't help either. But seeing how well it handles other games I play, it's surprising that X-plane is so much more demanding on the system.

I just tried turning it off. Doesn't seem to make much difference. My CPU is quite old (Intel Core2 Duo E7500), but overclocked to 3.5GHz. Seeing how well it handles other games I play, it's surprising that X-plane is so much more demanding on the system.

It's beta. It's broken fps wise for most people, I have an i5 with a high clock 8gb of ram and a 1070 gtx and my fps caps at 19 with the current build, your fps will return give It a few builds

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

In all honesty, coming from me only, I made the decision, this past weekend to refrain from contributing to any "sim bashing" any longer.  When i first saw this post emerge, the first thought I had was "brace yourselves, bashers are coming".  I really don't see the sense anymore of threads created to compare one sim over another.  Like many here, I have used FSX, P3D and now XP, and I too have made my decision but I sure as heck am not going to try and pull users from one sim to another.  Again, I feel this thread is unnecessary and coming from an established member of the community, it puzzles me as to why he would post something like this.  I am not trying to offend the OP or anyone else, for that matter but this is a new year now, and we should start it off with a clean slate.  I know knowledge is power, but heavy opinion laden threads with subsequent bashing gets newcomers nowhere if they are here to get educated...the long and the short of it is these threads serve no purpose, other than the gain post counts.

There are plenty of outlets online to get the right source information about all of the sims and their respective add-ons.  Sure, I support word of mouth, as long as the information provided is objective, subjective, informative and intelligent. 

• Upvote 3

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It's beta. It's broken fps wise for most people, I have an i5 with a high clock 8gb of ram and a 1070 gtx and my fps caps at 19 with the current build, your fps will return give It a few builds

Wow that's indeed broken. Guess I will need to try the demo when it officially comes out.

Nope, I woke up after a great Sunday playing DCS and IL.2 BoX, with their unique flight dynamics modeling, and thinking that should I be interested in simulating a good Airbus, with good weather modeling ( visuals and effects ), systems detail, and even flight law implementation and flight and overall physics modeling quality, my only option right now  should be FSLabs A320 over FSX or even better FSX:SE... with a good weather injcetor and Steves DX10 fixer, or wait for it's release for P3D in which I'm not interested because I would have to pay a lot more for nearly the same experience...

How many years will I have to wait for anything similar in XP11 ? 

But the same would apply if I seek a 777, a 737 NGX, a Q-400, a C172 or C182 or Comanche, a B377, a Constellation, and many other detailled addon aircraft for FSX I could never find for XP11...

I also woke up thinking that in that old sim ( MSFS )  it's now Winter and I see snow, and white land alover the places where it should be ... When will I have it ( if ever ) along the XP11 run ?

And I woke up thinking  that even for flying a simple glider, with a plausible soaring-oriented weather engine, the best I can get from a generic sim is still provided by MSFS or P3D, with a good weather injcetor or even CumulusX!, or using the specific soaring sims which do a an even much better job ...

So, I woke up basically thinking I regret having spent my money, again, in X-Plane.... even if I did it to support the cause .... and even if I do believe Austin, moved by the need to really invest in the details of his sim, will start working on the FDM a lot more than he did for XP10, so I hope... For that money I could have bought the Gazelle for DCS World ....

I see, another victim of too many illusions and expectations.

Don't get really why all those highlighted points should be connected with night lights, the subject of the video comparison, and which, no matter what you can say, still looks ridicolous in PR3D (no mention to FSX) after flying in XP. 

I own DCS as well, I appreciate the sim dynamics but got bored of the same ten airports and missions. In the end I prefer flying in XPX with all its limitations because I cannot afford to care about multiple flight sims.

Couple of hours ago I watched some decent shots of a PR3D flight from EDDF, most for the good airport and traffic, but then the OP wrote "no shots of the landing because I got a crash mid flight, unfortunately not a rare event crossing over atlantic". Right now I prefer to end my flights instead of catching some good screenshots for AVsim...

• Upvote 2

Considering FSX still makes up the vast majority of users it's a perfectly valid comparison.

I never said it wasn't a valid comparison, I said it really wasn't a fair one.  Is there such a thing as valid but unfair?

Only if my PC can run X-plane 11 ...

With 1050 Ti I can't even get 25 fps with all settings at minimum, in the default Cessna. I know it's not the best graphics card in the world. But come on, I have no problem getting 30 fps in a PMDG or Aerosoft Airbus. It's a bit ridiculous.

To be fair, the 1050 Ti isn't the best card.  It actually lags behind older hardware like the GTX 760, which is what I use, and a 3.4GHz quad-core CPU.  With medium-ish settings, I consistently get between 25 and 40 FPS.  Still, I'd expect the 1050 Ti to do better.  Maybe your CPU is the bottleneck?

Um, Chevy vs. Ford is not an apples to oranges comparison.  Unless you were being deliberately ironic?

I have pretty much moved over to XP11 and hope that more professional developers start to create products for it. I have to say that I am beyond disappointed in Orbx for not pursuing XP and instead creating some things for Aerofly. In regards to P3d v4, I would bet the house that it will just be marginally better than v3. It will probably only have a bit better lighting and a higher LOD, but I am sure it will look and act the same as FSX, FSXSE, Dovetail Flight School, P3Dv1,v2, and v3. Gotta do whatever you can to keep that backwards compatibility and not move ahead.

Many Xplaners are disappointed as well, but let's face, we don't need lot of more eyecandy but working UTILITIES in the XP world.

We need something like UT2, FSPAssengers, ATC package integreated with AI...these are the sort of programs that could enhace the XP experience right now. I have many good airports, lovely L17/18 photoreal with decent 3D building coverage which make me see AFS2 screenshots sub par and ORBX landclass unwatchable with those roads and buildings messed up.

What I really need are flight companions to make the environment more lively and believable. XEnviro has been a great step forward, now let's hope we'll have improvements in other areas.

• Upvote 3

I just tried turning it off. Doesn't seem to make much difference. My CPU is quite old (Intel Core2 Duo E7500), but overclocked to 3.5GHz. I guess 4GB of RAM doesn't help either. But seeing how well it handles other games I play, it's surprising that X-plane is so much more demanding on the system.

You can't really compare a flight simulator to other games since a flight simulator is inherently considerably more demanding than other entertainment software.  People might brag about how the latest and greatest first-person shooter really pushes their hardware, but that's nothing compared to what X-Plane 11 demands from your system.

• Upvote 1

I cannot afford to care about multiple flight sims.

I strive not to as well Desaix, and believe me - I would Dream of being able to adopt a single sim, civil preferably.

Right now my main hopes are put in two platforms : XP11 and AEFS2.  Both have lot's of pluses and many minuses too... Time will tell...

The big difference between the XP10 and XP11 cycles lays in the fact that now Austin really feels "it's now or never..." for X-Plane, I guess.... I hope he takes his precious time to do the best he can, and the rest of the team helps with the other areas like secenery, weather rendering, AI and ATC..., and that this can all be done in coordination with developers, so that they feel confortable with their base for creating new models and / or update the old ones...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... 

it's now or never..." for X-Plane

I think this a correct statement. With the new sims we are getting this year and Aerofly on the rise, they have a good chance to gain a large market-share or fall back into a small niche. Time will tell  :smile:

• Upvote 3