Sign in to follow this  
deepstar

747-400 v2 skeleton in preview mode

Hi

After choosing a 747 v2 it goes to the preview window and begins rotating. Now half of the 747 v2 is a skeleton. Parked at an airport my 747 v2 is fine.

Please advice

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I get that as well but not after while but right away. It's only in the preview mode though so it doesn't really bother me.

Please see the introduction manual document for more information on why it looks like this.

tl;dr: you can ignore it look like that, it will function properly. 

Now half of the 747 v2 is a skeleton.

In your fsx.cfg file make sure DisablePreload=0

Mind has the skeleton look in preview too - but performance in FSX:SE is excellent, so not too concerned about it.

hi @pcubine

Thanks that worked.

So now i have to decide what setting to use. 0 or 1, hmmm......

Mind has the skeleton look in preview too - but performance in FSX:SE is excellent, so not too concerned about it.

I was having the same problem. I'm running FSX-SE and after reading the introduction document and specifically the section regarding this issue I added the line DisablePreload=0 as mentioned above and the problem went away. The strange thing is, the document says that this line should have already been there in the FSX-SE . cfg file but was not.

The strange thing is, the document says that this line should have already been there in the FSX-SE . cfg file but was not.

Could have been removed by another program. A number of programs will reach into it and change it. If you look in that folder, you may see a ton of backups from various products.

Is there a particular section that line should be added to in the FSX.cfg file? It's not in there at all and I thought I might add it, but I'm not sure where to put it (if it matters).

Thanks!

Is there a particular section that line should be added to in the FSX.cfg file?

[Main]

(As mentioned in the Intro Manual)

Ok, did that but no change. It would be good to find the source of the issue, but it does show properly once loaded.

Thanks for the help.

It would be good to find the source of the issue, but it does show properly once loaded.

It's really not an issue in the end, honestly. The disablepreload option should get rid of it, but it's literally only for a moment in the loading screen (unless you have a particularly old/slow computer), and even if it remains there, it resolves when you load the sim.

Kyle, are you planning to make new videos for the 747-400?  I enjoyed the tips & tricks you showed us in the 777-200 tutorials and the introduction video to the Queen as well by the way...

Cheers, Marc

It's really not an issue in the end, honestly. The disablepreload option should get rid of it, but it's literally only for a moment in the loading screen (unless you have a particularly old/slow computer), and even if it remains there, it resolves when you load the sim.

The only significance to me is that when I'm repainting an aircraft, I look at the results in the Details panel to see where I need to make adjustments. Only when I'm doing the final touches do I actually load the aircraft. What I may do for this one is check with Steve, et al and see what they do when checking their progress and it's quite possible they have better methods than this. Other than that, no it really doesn't matter a whole lot.

Thanks Kyle.

The only significance to me is that when I'm repainting an aircraft, I look at the results in the Details panel to see where I need to make adjustments. Only when I'm doing the final touches do I actually load the aircraft. What I may do for this one is check with Steve, et al and see what they do when checking their progress and it's quite possible they have better methods than this. Other than that, no it really doesn't matter a whole lot.

I can see how that would be irritating. It should eventually resolve by itself without loading into the sim, but I can see how the delay would be a burden for those who paint. Wasn't there a program out there where you could load the model without loading the entire sim, for painters?

I'll ask to see what Jason and Pete do.

Oddly enough it worked once for me today, but has since gone back to skeleton mode. There are ways around this of course, simply by actually loading the airplane. The only drawback then is it takes much longer to view the aircraft and you probably only get so many reloads before things go south on you.

There was, but I think it only worked with a certain type of file (BMP I suspect). I did have it, but it wasn't always reliable. I believe Flight One had it at one time, but I'm not certain.

Anyway, don't lose sleep over it but if you do manage to find an answer, that would be most welcome.

Ok, did that but no change. It would be good to find the source of the issue, but it does show properly once loaded.

Thanks for the help.

The "source of the issue" is already known - it has to do with how we light the front fuselage. It's code-based and if the code doesn't start executing (due to DisablePreload=1) then that part of the aircraft can't load until the sim starts running. FSX:SE has the option defaulted to on internally, so you have to manually add the line "DisablePreload=0" to the [Main] section to stop it. There are addons out there that force settings constantly in the cfg (FSDT Addon Manager is one I can think of) and something may be setting it back to 1 automatically if you keep seeing this come up.

Again, there is no effect whatsoever on the airplane once you're in the sim - unless you guys are "flying" the preview window I would just ignore it. You're likely saving some VAS anyway by having preload off.

OK, well it's still at 0 (I actually had to add the line as it wasn't there before), so that's not it. It was visible once when booting up for whatever reason. However as you say, it doesn't affect the airplane once it's loaded. The only negative for me is when I'm repainting the aircraft, I use the Preview mode to see where I need to make adjustments. There are ways around that to some degree so even then it's not too horribly bad. Of course, if you want to go back and completely remodel the lighting... (I'M KIDDING :Big Grin: )... .

Thanks for chiming in there Ryan. Appreciate the explanation, and great job on the aircraft.