Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

Is REX coming to XP 11?

I think the silver lining on the horizon is that going 64-Bit will finally break P3D's neck, as users will have to consider making a massive investment (in upgrading their add-ons) while still being locked into old tech (64-Bit will fix OOM's but not much more) or going X-Plane ... which will make the X-Plane market explode and thus FORCE developers to develop for X-Plane.

• Upvote 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Indeed, the point is exactly what frontendrob mentioned.

Too much focus have been put by FSX/P3D users on 64bit. That is not the only issue, and going to 64bit won't change anything but exactly that. The truth is that the fsx engine is with us since 2006, and was built upon the fs2004 one. p3d and dtg are also surely improving it, but it is still a more than 10 years old engine.

As for developers, they have enjoyed a static market for 10 years, in which all their know how worked nicely. And yes, FSX/P3D is still the main market but it won't be forever, i think we can also see this. And it will take time for them to improve their know how on xplane too, which is why i think what PMDG did with the DC6 (and hopefully will continue with other planes) is the way to go for them.

We saw how developers, used to the static market, reacted to the FSX Steam Edition early patches. It was a mess they were not ready to deal with (because DTG changed some dll), now think about how they will deal with a 64bit change and how they might deal with  the fact they need to learn how to make addons for a new simulator not based on the microsoft engine they have been developing on for years.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

One thing that is not mentioned so much is that X-Plane already has a good pool of highly talented developers. Because the market has been relatively small they have not all been able to go full time on it. However with the big increase in users coming with XP11 some of those devs may well be able to go full time. 

That will give us improved products, by people that know the workings of X-Plane inside out. There is also a whole generation of young developers coming through particularly in the scenery field. 

I think its a shame that sometime we forget how good X-Plane's native developers are when talking about FSX devs coming over. Let's support those that have been with XP a while and not beg the big boys to come over. 

• Upvote 6

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

One thing that is not mentioned so much is that X-Plane already has a good pool of highly talented developers. Because the market has been relatively small they have not all been able to go full time on it. However with the big increase in users coming with XP11 some of those devs may well be able to go full time. 

That will give us improved products, by people that know the workings of X-Plane inside out. There is also a whole generation of young developers coming through particularly in the scenery field. 

I think its a shame that sometime we forget how good X-Plane's native developers are when talking about FSX devs coming over. Let's support those that have been with XP a while and not beg the big boys to come over. 

Exactly. Honestly, I think the only thing they could bring over from FSX are the textures. And in the case of REX, they are unuseable, unless they write their own new cloud system (like xEnviro and SMP have done). Also for Orbx, their products push the boundaries for FSX and P3D, but I doubt they can bring anything to the table in Xplane, unless they renew completely the underlying structures. Airfields on the other hand should be easy enough to port over (but then we are talking about textures again, not really adding new stuff like they did for FSX). 

Mind, I do admire their work, but I am not so excited to see them crossing, they will have to learn the new platform first, do not expect too much from them. 

We have seen this with plane add ons in XPX.

My only fear is after years of being "not good enough", X-Plane dosen't turn into another version of FSX.

All i've been seeing is FSX & P3D does this & has this and X-Plane should be like this...

I actually liked the "Old" UI because I used it for years...

REX clouds i'm all for, I own them for my XP9 version!

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

I'm not so sure, as others have said, that P3D 64 bits will speed up the inflow of users from P3D to XP11. I think instead that the longer will it take for P3D to go 64 bits, the better will it be for XP11. The problem is that XP11 is still lacking wrt those 3 usual features: atc, ai, weather. Not to talk about seasons. And yes, I'm including the improvements available for those features in XP11. And more importantly, there isn't any sign that any of those limitations are getting addressed in the short term, except possibly for some weather improvement. And remember that every major addon developer has already made clear they're ready to support 64 bits P3D. So, if P3D goes 64 bits very soon, I'd rather think it will slow down, not speed up, the inflow of users to XP11. Neverthless, I still think that XP11 market share will increase, faster that it has in the past, due to all it's improvements. We already see how well it's been received compared to past versions.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

So, if P3D goes 64 bits very soon, I'd rather think it will slow down, not speed up, the inflow of users to XP11.

Good thing is, it hasn't happened yet and who knows how long it will take. They're probably also aware of the fact that it might alienate a lot of users when they tell them to re-buy every single add-on. This, or deal with the CTD™ feature... either way P3D users are in a world of pain.

I stated this before, but if Laminar was to hire/pay WT's developer (Greg), ATC and AI would be solved in no time. Unbelievable what this dev has shouldered on his own (with a hobby project). Austin is getting in his own way again when he thinks his way of approaching these features is superior. It's clearly not (even if XP11's ATC interface is a big step).

• Upvote 2

-

I stated this before, but if Laminar was to hire/pay WT's developer (Greg), ATC and AI would be solved in no time. Unbelievable what this dev has shouldered on his own (with a hobby project). Austin is getting in his own way again when he thinks his way of approaching these features is superior. It's clearly not (even if XP11's ATC interface is a big step).

I agree, blind policy by LR that just pretend to always doing it right: being weather, ATC or AI or trees.

WT is great, it gives a huge customization level with high realism but it needs some investment on it to turn into a successfull plugin. What I read is instead LR even refuse to cooperate to integrate ground vehicles for third party plugin aircrafts. Cannot see the wisdom in such an attitude. But we have nice Austin's model dancing on the upper desk now. 

but if Laminar was to hire/pay

I do think that LR is focused on keeping their team small & flexible. I'm sure that there's positives to this approach, but it's difficult to accept when there's identifiable areas within X-Plane that could be improved relatively quickly by hiring more talent.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The only thing that I worry about with XP is that the past, LR only had to worry about capturing users from FSX and to a lesser extent, P3d. Now there is more competition from Aerofly FS 2 and potentially DTG Flight Sim. LR may need to be more flexible in keeping up with competition on multiple fronts. It's a different market that is becoming more and more balkanized with time. Every successful flight sim entry will have to provide a similar collection of features.

The only thing that I worry about with XP is that the past, LR only had to worry about capturing users from FSX and to a lesser extent, P3d. Now there is more competition from Aerofly FS 2 and potentially DTG Flight Sim. LR may need to be more flexible in keeping up with competition on multiple fronts. It's a different market that is becoming more and more balkanized with time. Every successful flight sim entry will have to provide a similar collection of features.

XP is bigger now than it ever has been. I wouldn't worry about it competing with anything else.

I do think that LR is focused on keeping their team small & flexible. I'm sure that there's positives to this approach, but it's difficult to accept when there's identifiable areas within X-Plane that could be improved relatively quickly by hiring more talent.

Even with that considered, it's a no brainer to have Greg handle that. If XP came with World Traffic's functionality (what's planned for 3.0) out of the box, oh boy, definitely the shorter route to Austin's next Ferrari. If he'd only see that...

XP is bigger now than it ever has been. I wouldn't worry about it competing with anything else.

Yes, that's the right attitude!

-

I think we can confirm this now.  2 days ago, a reply from official Rex simulation on youtube.

Look for the newest comments and you will see rex simulations reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxNkk-A2TXk&t=5s

Sebastian Björk

... well, let's hope that this really becomes reality so to speak!

Would be great!

:smile: