Hoang

ORBX KSAN San Diego International Released!

Recommended Posts

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I bought it today and it is awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Jim Young said:

I bought it today and it is awesome!

Very happy to hear that, did you manage VAS when flying there? With FSLabs A320x/PMDG 737 and LatinVFR KSAN, no ORBX products I have about 700-800MB free after landed there.

Share this post


Link to post

In P3Dv3 I was getting fantastic fps over 60.  I flew around the scenery with the default F22 and had about 1.64GB's when I finished flying around and landing.

No eye-candy is VAS friendly.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

In P3Dv3 I was getting fantastic fps over 60.  I flew around the scenery with the default F22 and had about 1.64GB's when I finished flying around and landing.

No eye-candy is VAS friendly.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I will do one (probably last) leg with LatinVFR KSAN now.
Cheers,
Hoang Le

Share this post


Link to post

How is the airport itself in comparison to LatinVFR?

Share this post


Link to post

I have both (although I have removed the LatinVFR version in the P3D Scenery.cfg).  I liked both but obviously, the Orbx product is more detailed and realistic.  I use KSAN with Orbx Southern California.  I do not think there can be a fair comparison as Orbx KSAN made their product compatible with Orbx SoCal.  If you do not own SoCal or Orbx Global stuff, then LatinVFR is the way to go!

 

Share this post


Link to post

I was always impressed with the LatinVFR main terminal...clear glass and terminal insides.  I don't have the Orbx one but, from what I see, their windows needs some work.  I do like the looks of the city and the surroundings on the Orbx one.

Share this post


Link to post

I did a short leg from Flightbeam KSFO to LatinVFR KSAN with FSLAB A320x, no ORBX and after landing VAS was 3.5GB - 3.8 GB, I was shocked. How can it be that high with limit AI to 10, 25% traffic, no vehicle or anything, autogen/scenery complexity normal.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Hoang Le said:

I did a short leg from Flightbeam KSFO to LatinVFR KSAN with FSLAB A320x, no ORBX and after landing VAS was 3.5GB - 3.8 GB, I was shocked. How can it be that high with limit AI to 10, 25% traffic, no vehicle or anything, autogen/scenery complexity normal.

What NVidea video driver version are you using?

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Folks,

LOL - I've asked this question over on the ORBX forum without answer (or maybe that was my answer) - can anyone report the state of the "other" airports included in the coverage area ? I don't have the actual SOCAL Region - so I'd just like to know if they have been improved at least up to the ORBX "Freeware" level (Browns, Gillespie, Montgomery, NAS North Island, NAS Imperial Beach) - - - or have they been left as default/stock airports ?

Thanks so much...

Regards,
Scott

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Hoang Le said:

I did a short leg from Flightbeam KSFO to LatinVFR KSAN with FSLAB A320x, no ORBX and after landing VAS was 3.5GB - 3.8 GB, I was shocked. How can it be that high with limit AI to 10, 25% traffic, no vehicle or anything, autogen/scenery complexity normal.

Unfortunately you will get excellent usage of VAS by flying from the default KSFO to the default KSAN but the default scenery does not look very good and does not give you hardly any sense of immersion does it?  Fortunately, we have developers like FTX/Orbx who provide us with awesome eye-candy regions and airports and they develop these excellent regions and airports to promote sales... very high sales in most cases.  Flying from FlightBeam's KSFO HD over Orbx SoCal or FTX Global to Orbx KSAN using AS16 and a commercial airline like PMDG (for even more immersion) will tax any computer system, especially the most powerful as the faster a system can process textures and application tasks, the faster the usage/depletion of VAS.  You never saw too much of this VAS depletion completion complaints back when FSX was first released and we had much less powerful systems. You can destroy your immersion in any eye-candy situation by turning your settings up to the max or near the max, have normal to high Autogen settings (autogen is so unrealistic IMHO and VAS/fps killer too!!), have cloud shadows, HDR, and fly with aircraft like the excellent products from PMDG to further enhance your immersion into flight.  Try turning off the eye-candy in the FTX/Orbx control settings in FTX Central. Might help just a little but it is not a solution as everyone wants eye-candy (or they would not buy the product) and the object of the game when developing and selling products is to have a lot of eye-candy AKA realism.  It produces a lot more sales.  You want it or you would not have purchased the product.  I want it and we have to live with it as developers will continue to use Direct X technology and other new and upcoming technology to give us even more immersion into flight simulation.  They have talent and they want money for their talent and I, for one, do not blame them.  One reason I'm so poor is the fact I do not have this talent and expertise! 

I will try this flight from KSFO to KSAN later today as I want to see for myself how much VAS is used as I closely watch VAS usage on all of my flights.  Anytime you have around 300 MB's or more of VAS remaining on landing, you are good to go and you should not be concerned because you will not get an OOM in most cases.  I have, on occasion, had stutter free flights and successful completion of a flight session with only 200MB's of VAS remaining but it is scary as I start to hear the FSUIPC warning dings that I'm getting close to running out of memory.  Still I complete the flight.  VAS usage goes up and down during a flight.  Several years ago, we had everyone complaining and posting problems with the lack of FPS but we do not see that so much anymore.  It is all about the amount of VAS remaining because that's impossible for a developer to control if he/she wants to produce a nice product that will sell and the developer has to rely on how a consumer will use their product. It works great on their system and those of beta testers and it is why the product is released to consumers.  They want everyone to enjoy!  BTW, most developers only test their scenery alone and not with a bunch of other eye-candy add-ons enabled which is the way it should be! 

If I read your figures correctly, you had approx 200 MB's to 500 MB's remaining which I consider more than enough.  My system can handle VAS figures that low and it is super powerful.  It's when the sim crashes with an OOM that it is not exciting and I know for a fact I have a problem with my setup.  What you should do in the future is to post your FSUIPC log if you have enabled logging in the FSUIPC and you use the FSUIPC to monitor VAS (see page 16, AVSIM CTD Guide).  It will show you exactly how much you had at the beginning of your flight all the way to the end of your flight and it provides a nice summary of your VAS, memory, and FPS usage for everyone to see at the end of the report.  I save most of my fsuipc logs by renaming them to something like KSFOKSAN_PMDG747_AS16_OrbxSoCal.  Then I can occasionally do a comparison and maybe adjust my settings up or down depending on the results.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

LOL - I've asked this question over on the ORBX forum without answer (or maybe that was my answer) - can anyone report the state of the "other" airports included in the coverage area ? I don't have the actual SOCAL Region - so I'd just like to know if they have been improved at least up to the ORBX "Freeware" level (Browns, Gillespie, Montgomery, NAS North Island, NAS Imperial Beach) - - - or have they been left as default/stock airports ?

Thanks so much...

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

Most of the peripheral airports in KSAN package have gotten minor makeovers from SoCal. SoCal was a YUGGE improvement on all the default airports in the area.

One airfield I am very familiar with is KNRS and somewhat familiar with KNZY. KNZY in KSAN package looks like it does today in real world, with some generic looking objects but nice photoscenery.

KNRS is kinda odd. (Full disclosure: I developed a scenery package for KNRS with all kinds of improvements a couple of years ago).  As I mentioned, the SoCal package greatly improved the default scenery but not to the custom level of my package.

The KSAN package can be run in FTX Global mode or in Orbx SoCal region mode. I am running in SoCal mode. When viewed from overhead, you can plainly see the intermesh of SoCal and KSAN areas at KNRS. It is not exactly a seamless blend. In all fairness, you would probably not notice flying in or out of the airfield. Unfortunately you would probably notice if you were doing helo maneuvers near the border with Mexico south of the base. 

Generally, I find the KSAN area a slight improvement in performance over SoCal, a significant improvement in overall vector and POI over SoCal, and still with the overall greenish photoscenery color problems in SoCal. Performance at KSAN itself is much better on my system than LatinVFR/SoCal combo.

Hope this helps, KSAN package is net positive for me.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Might pick it up afterall . Hopefully the region is getting better on performance , because it must be heavy on CPU needs since the best Region out there (New Zealand South) is proberly the visual best in my opinion but less autogen offcause.

Hmm Does P3Dv4 move all Autogen to GPU ? now that would be nice :-) 

 

Michael Moe

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Unfortunately you will get excellent usage of VAS by flying from the default KSFO to the default KSAN but the default scenery does not look very good and does not give you hardly any sense of immersion does it?  Fortunately, we have developers like FTX/Orbx who provide us with awesome eye-candy regions and airports and they develop these excellent regions and airports to promote sales... very high sales in most cases.  Flying from FlightBeam's KSFO HD over Orbx SoCal or FTX Global to Orbx KSAN using AS16 and a commercial airline like PMDG (for even more immersion) will tax any computer system, especially the most powerful as the faster a system can process textures and application tasks, the faster the usage/depletion

 

.........

Hi Jim,

I have the FSUIPC log and I monitor at every phrase of the flight. On that flight I had ~600-800MB free when at Flightbeam KSFO, after took off I had 1000MB, and when in LatinVFR KSAN area it dropped to around 400-600MB until I park at the gate.

ORBX products are the one I would really love to have. I'm a pilot myself and every time flying either up high or at low altitude I always look outside to enjoy the view (even at night I use moon light to look around), same as in simulator. In fact I have considered buying several products from ORBX for days now, added to cart almost $300 of ORBX product but the VAS issue I am having make me think too much about it and have not process the purchase yet.

So with my remaining memory like that, do you think that having ORBX products is still playable?

6 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

What NVidea video driver version are you using?

Hi,
I am using 376.53 with FSX(SE). Is there a memory leak from nVidia with FSX? I know that there has been a memory leak issue with P3D but not FSX, not that I know of.

Thank you,
Hoang Le

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Hoang Le said:

I am using 376.53 with FSX(SE). Is there a memory leak from nVidia with FSX? I know that there has been a memory leak issue with P3D but not FSX, not that I know of.

I didn't know the issue only affected P3D and, besides, I'm pretty sure that's a good driver.  Perhaps others will post what their VAS is running KSAN.  My experience is that Orbx Socal can be pretty VAS intense.  Perhaps, if you're worried about how large your VAS is getting, you may have to change some settings in your control panels (KSAN, SOCAL, Vector).

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Gregg_Seipp said:

I didn't know the issue only affected P3D and, besides, I'm pretty sure that's a good driver.  Perhaps others will post what their VAS is running KSAN.  My experience is that Orbx Socal can be pretty VAS intense.  Perhaps, if you're worried about how large your VAS is getting, you may have to change some settings in your control panels (KSAN, SOCAL, Vector).

Hi,
Thank you for your help. I might only use ORBX Global and openLC NA with ORBX KSAN only. If this combination works well when flying jetliners (FSLABs,PMDGs) then I will give it a go. It is very hard to know exactly since every system/configuration is different.
Cheers,
Hoang Le

Share this post


Link to post

I must be swimming against the tide with this one. I have never been more unimpressed with an Orbx product and I have ALL of them! I lie, I don't have Canberra Cityscape. :smile:

San Diego looks washed out, flat and painfully photoreal.  I flew from there north up the coast aways and the scenery livened up considerably.

Mustn't complain too much though, as I get the OAPs discount. Still, $32?

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

painfully photoreal

Can't say I've heard that one before but I think I get it.  Washed out or strange colors?

Share this post


Link to post

I have to agree with Ron's comments on this one.  I live in San Diego and felt the area has an overall dark, "gloomy" feel to it.  Maybe it's the heavy shadowing of the airport and the downtown buildings.  San Diego is bright and sunny.  :)

Coronado agn have all flat roofs and sparsely any vegetation?  Approaching felt a little like a concrete jungle (like as if I was in LA, ha!), ...  again more trees would have helped.  While the modeler is definitely gifted, I see no reason to move on from my Latin VFR version.  But I am sure it will still sell well.

Clutch

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I must be swimming against the tide with this one. I have never been more unimpressed with an Orbx product and I have ALL of them! I lie, I don't have Canberra Cityscape. :smile:

San Diego looks washed out, flat and painfully photoreal.  I flew from there north up the coast aways and the scenery livened up considerably.

Mustn't complain too much though, as I get the OAPs discount. Still, $32?

 

Plus one here. This is the only ORBXpurchase that I regret. I have un installed it. I could give you a laundry list but its just bad.

Share this post


Link to post

I never thought this would be possible. I uninstalled KSAN and the place came alive! Instead of empty marinas and naval shipyards(San Diego, home of the USN right?) The roads actually have MOVING traffic! :blink: Palm trees are back and the colour has returned.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Henry Street said:

Scott,

Most of the peripheral airports in KSAN package have gotten minor makeovers from SoCal. SoCal was a YUGGE improvement on all the default airports in the area.

One airfield I am very familiar with is KNRS and somewhat familiar with KNZY. KNZY in KSAN package looks like it does today in real world, with some generic looking objects but nice photoscenery.

KNRS is kinda odd. (Full disclosure: I developed a scenery package for KNRS with all kinds of improvements a couple of years ago).  As I mentioned, the SoCal package greatly improved the default scenery but not to the custom level of my package.

The KSAN package can be run in FTX Global mode or in Orbx SoCal region mode. I am running in SoCal mode. When viewed from overhead, you can plainly see the intermesh of SoCal and KSAN areas at KNRS. It is not exactly a seamless blend. In all fairness, you would probably not notice flying in or out of the airfield. Unfortunately you would probably notice if you were doing helo maneuvers near the border with Mexico south of the base. 

Generally, I find the KSAN area a slight improvement in performance over SoCal, a significant improvement in overall vector and POI over SoCal, and still with the overall greenish photoscenery color problems in SoCal. Performance at KSAN itself is much better on my system than LatinVFR/SoCal combo.

Hope this helps, KSAN package is net positive for me.

 

 

 

 

 

Hi Henry,

Thanks so much for the detailed write up... I'll have to look for your KNRS package - hah - personal knowledge of the field ? I used to go down there quite often - to "scrounge" radar parts from the surplus warehouse at KNRS for the SCORE facility on San Clemente Island... I liked IB - it seemed a little off the beaten track (as much as you can be in SOCAL) and had a nice pier and beaches...

Given some of the feedback - I will probably pass on this package - I have the LVFR one and I've been pretty happy with it - combined with FTX Global - makes the area nice enough... If this had come across with unilaterally "exceptional" reviews - I may have made the switch...

Again - thanks for taking the time...

Regards,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Henry Street said:

Scott,

Most of the peripheral airports in KSAN package have gotten minor makeovers from SoCal. SoCal was a YUGGE improvement on all the default airports in the area.

One airfield I am very familiar with is KNRS and somewhat familiar with KNZY. KNZY in KSAN package looks like it does today in real world, with some generic looking objects but nice photoscenery.

KNRS is kinda odd. (Full disclosure: I developed a scenery package for KNRS with all kinds of improvements a couple of years ago).  As I mentioned, the SoCal package greatly improved the default scenery but not to the custom level of my package.

The KSAN package can be run in FTX Global mode or in Orbx SoCal region mode. I am running in SoCal mode. When viewed from overhead, you can plainly see the intermesh of SoCal and KSAN areas at KNRS. It is not exactly a seamless blend. In all fairness, you would probably not notice flying in or out of the airfield. Unfortunately you would probably notice if you were doing helo maneuvers near the border with Mexico south of the base. 

Generally, I find the KSAN area a slight improvement in performance over SoCal, a significant improvement in overall vector and POI over SoCal, and still with the overall greenish photoscenery color problems in SoCal. Performance at KSAN itself is much better on my system than LatinVFR/SoCal combo.

Hope this helps, KSAN package is net positive for me.

 

 

 

 

 

Please delete - I can't delete the quote - the forum wasn't registering the post - hence the double...

Regards,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now