Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

Rudder Pedals Thoughts

Recommended Posts

Looking to add rudder pedals to my system for FSX-SE - Wondered what suggestions this forum would have.

Would like to have differential braking as well


Regards, Dane

Laptop: MSI GP62 6QF-480CA - Operating System: Windows 10 Home
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ. 4 cores, 8 threads. Base clock 2.6 GHz, turbo 3.3 GHz (avg)
GPU: Nvidia GTX960M 2GB - RAM: 16GB - Drive: SSD Samsung 850 EVO M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Dane,

 

I've owned two different sets of rudder pedals. My first set was the CH Pro Pedals, and I currently am using the Saitek Combat Pedals. I wish I never would have gotten rid of the CH pedals.

 

The CH Pro Pedals have a very smooth throw action for the rudder axis and both toe brakes were also very smooth. All the axes had great resolution and they never were a problem. The only thing I didn't like about them were how narrow the unit was and therefore how close the pedals were to eachother.

 

The Saitek Combat Pedals are more natural to keep my feet on, but the rudder axis is sticky and tends to grind no matter how well I grease them. The toe brakes don't have a very long throw but are smooth.

 

When the Combat Pedals are starting to break down I'll be going back to the old trusty CH's, if they are still around.


Philip Manhart  :American Flag:
 

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also cast a vote for the CH Pro.

I've been using these for about 18 months now. They have a long throw in all axis and have been trouble free.

It did take me some time to get used to them. Practice and all that. Once I developed the muscle memory for them, it's hard to think how I ever did without them.

I can now handle any tail-dragger out there. This was not the case when I was using a flight stick with integrated rudder.

 


Richard Chafey

 

i7-8700K @4.9GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA GTX1080Ti - CH Fighterstick - CH Pro Throttle CH Rudder pedals

P3D, MSFS, DCS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MFG Croswinds. I'm having them for about 2,5 years and they're still like a new. No software or hardware problems related. Used basicaly everyday. No maintenance needed. And even my two years old daughter can't destroy them and she likes to spill milk or juice on them very offten as she likes sitting in my home pit watching Pepa Pig. :)

Milan Z.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dayne

Do not hesitate to purchase the MFG Crosswinds. The quality of build and accuracy are top line. They are more expensive than the CH Pro, however the accuracy and lack of any mechanical or electrical problems more than makes up for the extra cost. You will not be disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pmanhart said:

Hey Dane,

 

I've owned two different sets of rudder pedals. My first set was the CH Pro Pedals, and I currently am using the Saitek Combat Pedals. I wish I never would have gotten rid of the CH pedals.

 

The CH Pro Pedals have a very smooth throw action for the rudder axis and both toe brakes were also very smooth. All the axes had great resolution and they never were a problem. The only thing I didn't like about them were how narrow the unit was and therefore how close the pedals were to eachother.

 

The Saitek Combat Pedals are more natural to keep my feet on, but the rudder axis is sticky and tends to grind no matter how well I grease them. The toe brakes don't have a very long throw but are smooth.

 

When the Combat Pedals are starting to break down I'll be going back to the old trusty CH's, if they are still around.

Thanks for your feedback.

Any thoughts from you or others on the Thrust Master pedals?


Regards, Dane

Laptop: MSI GP62 6QF-480CA - Operating System: Windows 10 Home
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ. 4 cores, 8 threads. Base clock 2.6 GHz, turbo 3.3 GHz (avg)
GPU: Nvidia GTX960M 2GB - RAM: 16GB - Drive: SSD Samsung 850 EVO M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dane Watson said:

Thanks for your feedback.

Any thoughts from you or others on the Thrust Master pedals?

Very very narrow, far too narrow for realistic rudders.

I have the original Saitek rudders, when they eventually wear out I am going back to CH pedals, in fact I look forward to the day these Saitek's bite the dust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

Thanks for your feedback.

Any thoughts from you or others on the Thrust Master pedals?

 

I haven't used them, but there are a few reviews out there:

https://www.google.com/search?q=thrustmaster+flight+pedals+review&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS738US739&oq=thrustmaster+flight+pedals+review&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.9116j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

 

The guy in the following video doesn't seem that impressed because of the narrow pedals (more so than the CH) and it looks like the base seems to move quite a bit.

 


Philip Manhart  :American Flag:
 

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2017 at 0:48 PM, Zikous82 said:

MFG Croswinds. I'm having them for about 2,5 years and they're still like a new. No software or hardware problems related. Used basicaly everyday. No maintenance needed. And even my two years old daughter can't destroy them and she likes to spill milk or juice on them very offten as she likes sitting in my home pit watching Pepa Pig. :)

Milan Z.

 

On 4/26/2017 at 2:31 PM, Busbar said:

Dayne

Do not hesitate to purchase the MFG Crosswinds. The quality of build and accuracy are top line. They are more expensive than the CH Pro, however the accuracy and lack of any mechanical or electrical problems more than makes up for the extra cost. You will not be disappointed.

I totally agree on MFG Crosswinds.  I never had pedals before I bought these, but they are excellent for feel, accuracy, size and durabililty.

http://mfg.simundza.com/products


Stephen Forsgren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all for comments.

In the end I did purchase the Thrustmaster pedals as they did have excellent reviews and are less costly. The only reviews that were negative was that the pedals are too close together, I figured I could live with that. Now that I have used them extensively for three days I do not agree with the pedals being to close together, I find them to be awesome and I am very happy. Very comfortable even with just socks on, easy sliding, quiet, and I have not yet found any negatives.

They may not be the best but they are great.


Regards, Dane

Laptop: MSI GP62 6QF-480CA - Operating System: Windows 10 Home
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ. 4 cores, 8 threads. Base clock 2.6 GHz, turbo 3.3 GHz (avg)
GPU: Nvidia GTX960M 2GB - RAM: 16GB - Drive: SSD Samsung 850 EVO M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you found some that you're happy with Dane, happy flying!


Philip Manhart  :American Flag:
 

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK this isn't an airliner, but it's a real aeroplane with real rudder pedals really close together... Schleicher ASK21 glider.

ask21refpics_3.jpg

 

I think the Thrutstmaster ones would suit my setup (and hopefully my budget when I get one!) - I'm confined to a small computer desk. They'd look pretty cool underneath it.


Mark Robinson

"What's it doing now?"

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, close is good


Regards, Dane

Laptop: MSI GP62 6QF-480CA - Operating System: Windows 10 Home
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ. 4 cores, 8 threads. Base clock 2.6 GHz, turbo 3.3 GHz (avg)
GPU: Nvidia GTX960M 2GB - RAM: 16GB - Drive: SSD Samsung 850 EVO M.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    31%
    $7,930.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...