Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

V1.2. available

As I said above, Carenado "fakes the yaw damper", so you may as well use the Z key to turn the AP on and off and ignore the yaw damper altogether.

If you like to see the YD light on, while the autopilot is on, add something like:

<!-- Toggle Yaw Damper along with AP -->   

(A:AUTOPILOT MASTER,bool)  (L:YAW_DAMPER_TOGGLE_DUMMY, bool) != if{
  (A:AUTOPILOT MASTER,bool)  (>L:YAW_DAMPER_TOGGLE_DUMMY, bool) }

Bert

21 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

As I said above, Carenado "fakes the yaw damper", so you may as well use the Z key to turn the AP on and off and ignore the yaw damper altogether.

If you like to see the YD light on, while the autopilot is on, add something like:

<!-- Toggle Yaw Damper along with AP -->   

(A:AUTOPILOT MASTER,bool)  (L:YAW_DAMPER_TOGGLE_DUMMY, bool) != if{
  (A:AUTOPILOT MASTER,bool)  (>L:YAW_DAMPER_TOGGLE_DUMMY, bool) }

Thank you Bert I will try that, as always you're the boss...

I know it's a bit silly since the YD switch does in fact nothing in the Carenado PA31T, but I like to try and do it "by the book", so I like to actually see the -fake - YD go on when I fly manual at around 1000ft AGL, and to see it switching off on short final long after I have disconnected the AP. I got this from the RealAir TDuke and the F1 B200 flying guides, so I believe that's the way it should be done in the PA31T as well.

I'll live, no worries...

25 minutes ago, sinonquoi said:

Thank you Bert I will try that, as always you're the boss...

I know it's a bit silly since the YD switch does in fact nothing in the Carenado PA31T, but I like to try and do it "by the book", so I like to actually see the -fake - YD go on when I fly manual at around 1000ft AGL, and to see it switching off on short final long after I have disconnected the AP. I got this from the RealAir TDuke and the F1 B200 flying guides, so I believe that's the way it should be done in the PA31T as well.

I'll live, no worries...

I have just added the above to my config, and quite like it.  :cool:

Bert

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I have just added the above to my config, and quite like it.  :cool:

Isn't there a way to make it actually do something?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

24 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Isn't there a way to make it actually do something?

That is a good question for Carenado  :cool:

Bert

Hi Folks,

Yeah - been following the posts on the Yaw Damper - maybe I'm missing something - why would they go out of their way to make it not work ? LOL - also realize only Carenado can answer it - just seems odd...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Would it be possible to put YAW_DAMPER_ON and YAW_DAMPER_OFF in there?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

19 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Would it be possible to put YAW_DAMPER_ON and YAW_DAMPER_OFF in there?

Yes I think you might have a point, that's my opportunity to try and learn xml gauges, I will try to fiddle with Bert's proposal above (which works fine but does not achieve exactly what I'm looking for) and let you know what I can get to...

1 hour ago, sinonquoi said:

Yes I think you might have a point, that's my opportunity to try and learn xml gauges, I will try to fiddle with Bert's proposal above (which works fine but does not achieve exactly what I'm looking for) and let you know what I can get to...

Let me know if you need a hand..

Bert

20 hours ago, scottb613 said:

... why would they go out of their way to make it not work ? LOL - also realize only Carenado can answer it - just seems odd...

Because it is:

1. Easier to design a stable FDE (yaw damper built into the FDE) than to artificially destabilize it first.

2. Many yaw dampers don't restrict rudder movement so you have full rudder authority during landing, something you can't do with standard FSX SDK programming.

Bingo, it works :

<Gauge Name="YDON" Version="1.0">

<Element> <Select> <Value>

<!-- Toggle Yaw Damper with normal FSX key -->
(A:AUTOPILOT YAW DAMPER,bool)  (L:YAW_DAMPER_TOGGLE_DUMMY, bool) != if{
  (A:AUTOPILOT YAW DAMPER,bool)  (>L:YAW_DAMPER_TOGGLE_DUMMY, bool) }
</Value> </Select> </Element>
</Gauge>

I can now use Ctrl+D to switch the fake YD on and see the light (!) go on :laugh:

They only thing I would like to add is for the AP to go off when I switch the YD off using Ctrl+D. I will look at it over the weekend, there must be a way.

Thank you Bert and Gregg for pointing me in the right direction !

1 hour ago, J35OE said:

Because it is:

1. Easier to design a stable FDE (yaw damper built into the FDE) than to artificially destabilize it first.

2. Many yaw dampers don't restrict rudder movement so you have full rudder authority during landing, something you can't do with standard FSX SDK programming.

Hi Paul,

LOL - that might be the root cause of a misconception I've had for many years - while I knew the purpose of the Yaw Damper was to dampen yaw oscillations - in FS it also came with a locked rudder therefore I assumed it made all your turns coordinated - which isn't the he case - right ? So in the RW - does it coordinate turns at all ? Do any lock the rudder ? Maybe just the big tin ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

4 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Paul,

LOL - that might be the root cause of a misconception I've had for many years - while I knew the purpose of the Yaw Damper was to dampen yaw oscillations - in FS it also came with a locked rudder therefore I assumed it made all your turns coordinated - which isn't the he case - right ? So in the RW - does it coordinate turns at all ? Do any lock the rudder ? Maybe just the big tin ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

The KFC-300 yaw damper does coordinate turns, and it also prevents deflection of the rudder with the pedals, both on the ground and in the air (at least, that's the way it worked in a King Air E90).  You landed with the Yaw Damper on once......then never again.  If you were lucky you kept the airplane on the runway and your britches dry.  As Paul said, the latest Yaw Dampers accept rudder pedal input in addition to gyro/AHRS input therefore, landing with it on is not such a bowel-clearing experience.   

That's an interesting story Bill.  I only flew planes which were smaller and hence without YD or much larger which had a YD damper that is always on, coordinates the turn, but doesn't restrict rudder movement at all.

@Scott, the big ones always have full time YDs which don't restrict rudder movement.

Hi Bill/Paul,

Thanks for the clarification... Strange - I was somewhere discussing something in the past few months (tough getting old) - and I had mentioned that the Yaw Damper maintains coordinated flight and someone corrected me that it didn't - hence I took it onboard that I was wrong... LOL - next time I'll do more research... Love the real world anecdote... 

:huh:

As always - very enlightening...

Regards,
Scott