Sign in to follow this  
cleonpack93

PMDG for DTG's Flight Sim World

With DTG announcing Flight Sim World's early access release later this month, FSX is officially going to become more obsolete than it already is. So, for nervous people like me who have a lot of money sunk into FSX and are anxiously watching, the big question is: what add-on's will be developed for FSW and how much are we going to have to re-spend to upgrade?

What are PMDG's plans for FSW? Will there be any discount for upgrading from FSX products to FSW or will we have to re-buy? Which currently available PMDG planes will become available for FSW in the future?

I think it really is too early to say honestly. First they would need to get the proper access to the sim it's tool and so see what it provides. Which I'm not sure they have right now.

As for the upgrade, I'd let them answer but it also depends on their licensing with Boeing on what they can do or not do, but also that there will be a lot of work to go to FSW, it's 64 bits so nothing will work directly, and it is not as simple as checking a 64bits and recompiling everything. It also depends on what will be provided by DTG. I also thing that they might wait till the plateform is stable, which means the sim is finished and out of early access, which could take some time, some games/soft go through more than a year of EA.

Why do people start asking these questions so early? I wouldn't hold my breath when it comes to DT even releasing a half decent simulator. I have very little faith in them.

• Upvote 2

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I sure can't see myself going back around again sinking the kind of money into another sim I have invested in FSX. With all the years of development for FSX that has been done, along with untold hours of studying advice for optimization, I pretty much have my sim. I can't see picking up another unless it's just knock out fantastic and will run great on a mid level PC. Default aircraft would have to be PMDG, A2A level, with a ASN type WX system, along with pay ware level default scenery.

Of course I,m an aged codger but if I was a young feller with a long life line still ahead I would be quite interested.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

36 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Default aircraft would have to be PMDG, A2A level, with a ASN type WX system, along with pay ware level default scenery.

From the Steam site:

Features

Integration of Accu-Feel™ technology

Fleet of highly detailed GA aircraft

Easy to use flight planner

Realistic flight model

Integrated Orbx FTX Global textures

Lessons and missions to test your skills

Pilot profile to keep track of your flight hours

Pro Mission Editor

• Upvote 1

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2 hours ago, petkez said:

Why do people start asking these questions so early?

DTG already said they have been working with 3rd party developers on add-ons, so who knows if PMDG is among the list? That is why.

As excited as I wanted to be about this, I have serious concerns now that they pulled DTG:FS off the market.  That is highly suspect.  I knew it was be a failure in the sales department because I've said all along, there is no market for entry-level simmers.  However, they decided to continue with the product and released it.  Pulling it sends a bad message.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

1 hour ago, cleonpack93 said:

DTG already said they have been working with 3rd party developers on add-ons, so who knows if PMDG is among the list? That is why.

I thought DTG had acquired a license from Boeing to develop their own addons. 

https://www.helisimmer.com/news/dovetail-games-announces-boeing-partnership/

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Well if 64bit means no PMDG add-ons bad news for P3Dv4 if its 64bit.

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

Ray Fry.

What?

9 hours ago, cleonpack93 said:

I doubt there is something like that in the pipeline, or else PMDG would have released some sort of statement informing us of new plans.   I stand to be corrected, but I don't think so.

Regards

8 hours ago, rjfry said:

Ray Fry.

I think you're not correct, that's never been the fcase, and actually remember on the first release they did for P3D, they were covering the change to P3D v3 (at the time of this release the v2 was availaible) and they had told that if in the v3 there were the change to 64 bits, they would update their product. The thread is probably quite old but I'm sure you can find it back. 

So wether they support a new sim or not is really not based at all on wether the sim is 32 or 64 bits, the support probably depends on many more things, like the number of users, the availability of the tools and SDK they need, as well as the platform stability, with an Early Access program the sofwtare will by definition be unstable and change regularly which is not the right time to develop complex products like PMDG does.

More than a year ago, I had asked a PMDG tech support guy if he knew anything about the new sim. He said he knew stuff but couldn't tell me. It is more than likely that DTG has been working with PMDG and other devs to ensure that the new sim is as addon-friendly as possible.

Guys, just for your information.
Jordan King said yesterday he received a "go" for most part of his NDA. Whatever that means, it confirms that a lot of developers and gurus from the flight simulation world were actually aware about the progress of the sim, yet they could not speak due to that NDA. I guess the same applies to P3Dv4. The fact that nothing have been said for long time until yesterday's announcement, does not mean that nothing was happening behind the scenes. I hope this answers the OP question.

So, be patient. And remember that both FSW and P3Dv4 will be simply reworked, revamped, optimized 64-bit versions of the same engine. My understanding, or at at least my guess, is that your current addons will be compatible in a near future after some recompiling. I would not be surprised if some developers, like PMDG, Aerosoft and other major 3rd party developers, would came up with a 64bit version ot their respective products in a matter of weeks after the final release.

1 hour ago, barrel_owl said:

I would not be surprised if some developers, like PMDG, Aerosoft and other major 3rd party developers, would came up with a 64bit version ot their respective products in a matter of weeks after the final release.

I do not think it is that simple, of course for simple programs it can be, but for complex piece of engineering like PMDG do there could be side effects, the tpe size differ so calculations could change slightly. So it won't be that simple.

Another example is FSUIPC, this program very important for many addons will simply not work right at the start, and might not for a long time, it uses some "hooks" to get data from and to the sim memory, which requires to know where in memory those data will be. With the 64 bit switch, all those reference are simply not existing anymore as the memory will be addressed in 64 bits, which mean, it will require to analyze the new sim, and found those new memory locations to use.

So really I don't think it's good to consider it just a matter of recompiling, there can be much more work than this required to make the change correctly.

• Upvote 1