Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Never liked the STEAM concept

Just now, SierraHotel said:

FSX SE gives lie to this statement!

$99 AUS, took me about 20 seconds to find the price, facts go a long way when trying to make a point.

FSX SE, you can add independent developers additions outside of DTG, or have you not understood the statement?

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

3 minutes ago, Woozie said:

Not exactly the same as Orbx is a 3rd party developer. 

Anyways, each to their own, but when i see a game/sim with official content additions (from the developer) worth nearly 6000 dollar, i run for the chopper....

Orbx FTX Global is "built in" to FSW, as is the weather engine

3 minutes ago, jaydor said:

FSX SE, you can add independent developers additions outside of DTG, or have you not understood the statement?

Not the way you put it, and had you read my first post you would have seen I actually made refference to this vis a vie Aerosoft and Orbx.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Again... for a company to make the same level of income per sale (assuming that the Steam cut is 30%) the pricing would have to increase by 143%.  It really is all about the money.  Wanna pay that much more for your sim addons?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Just now, WarpD said:

Again... for a company to make the same level of income per sale (assuming that the Steam cut is 30%) the pricing would have to increase by 143%.  It really is all about the money.  Wanna pay that much more for your sim addons?

Like I said above FTX Global is built in to FSW, and as a commercial member  you should know if someone wants something, price doesn't come into it! PMDG and FSL would both be bust by now if it were so.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

42 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

$99 AUS, took me about 20 seconds to find the price, facts go a long way when trying to make a point.

I was talking about the entirety of their catalog on their own website (incl. all airports, regions, etc.), not FTX global alone.

42 minutes ago, Woozie said:

Not exactly the same as Orbx is a 3rd party developer. 

Anyways, each to their own, but when i see a game/sim with official content additions (from the developer) worth nearly 6000 dollar, i run for the chopper....

A lot of the addons you see for trainsim are also produced by 3PDs, DTG does not produce all that stuff themselves. 

2 minutes ago, domae001 said:

A lot of the addons you see for trainsim are also produced by 3PDs, DTG does not produce all that stuff themselves. 

Didnt know that, thanks for claryfying

17 hours ago, beechcaptain said:

What's good for the masses is not always good for the simmer!

Yep.  Especially when those lowest denominator masses are easy to impress instant gratification seekers.

spacer.png

Steam is a great concept, and it has been flawless with the vast number of updates and DLC that I have installed for Assetto Corsa since I purchased the Early Access version back in August 2014. The fact that Dovetail Games are insisting that all addon developers must offer their products through Steam (in addition to their own outlets) has nothing to do with Steam itself.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just now, Christopher Low said:

Steam is a great concept, and it has been flawless with the vast number of updates and DLC that I have installed for Assetto Corsa since I purchased the Early Access version back in August 2014. The fact that Dovetail Games are insisting that all addon developers must offer their products through Steam (in addition to their own outlets) has nothing to do with Steam itself.

Maybe, but Steam's 30% cut is outrageous.

spacer.png

Just now, Boomer said:

Maybe, but Steam's 30% cut is outrageous.

I am interested though: Does anyone know how much simmarket, flightsimstore, the .org store and other established flightsim vendors take as a cut? I'd assume, it would be somewhere around 10 percent, but I honestly have no clue about that.

3 minutes ago, domae001 said:

I am interested though: Does anyone know how much simmarket, flightsimstore, the .org store and other established flightsim vendors take as a cut? I'd assume, it would be somewhere around 10 percent, but I honestly have no clue about that.

SImmarket's standard commissions are 25% for exclusive sales and 35% for non-exclusive (product sold on other stores). 

However, i'm sure they offer individual commission plans for the big devs and top seller products. 

Just now, Woozie said:

SImmarket's standard commissions are 25% for exclusive sales and 35% for non-exclusive (product sold on other stores). 

However, i'm sure they offer individual commission plans for the big devs and top seller products. 

Wow, that's a lot more than I expected and puts things a bit in perspective. Thanks for the info!

The deluded self-appointed "serious" simmer who presents himself in opposition to the inferior masses of "gamers", has to be one of the funniest characters in the flight sim community... :laugh:

• Upvote 6

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Generally, I like steam, but not having a great internet connection makes it an awful chore if ever I want to reinstall something.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough