Recommended Posts

I'm about to buy myself a 43'' 4k and I'd like to know first what impact a 4k resolution can have on the frame rate. Is there much of a difference to using a full HD monitor or is it negligible? Will my GPU be able to handle 4k?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What kind of card do you have?  I made the switch from 1080 to 4k a year ago and the dip in fps was somewhere in the region of 30% with my 980ti.  The 1080 has taken some of that up, but occasionally in heavy clouds my frames can get down to the 20's with the 737ngx, but no loss of smoothness. That's the real key, smoothness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Canuck said:

I'm about to buy myself a 43'' 4k and I'd like to know first what impact a 4k resolution can have on the frame rate. Is there much of a difference to using a full HD monitor or is it negligible? Will my GPU be able to handle 4k?

 

Just try setting up x4 DSR in the NV control panel, 3D Global settings.
This will simulate 4K and give you a very good idea of how your system will handle it.

gb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dip in 4K isn't really anything, it's the size of the TV that you'll be using that will make the difference. The larger the device, the greater the dip.  around 40 inches seems the best fit, though I use a 55 inch on a 980 (also driving 3 23 inch monitors) and I don't have any problem at all.

Best wishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The dip in 4K isn't really anything, it's the size of the TV that you'll be using that will make the difference. The larger the device, the greater the dip.  around 40 inches seems the best fit, though I use a 55 inch on a 980 (also driving 3 23 inch monitors) and I don't have any problem at all.

Best wishes.

Sorry but that's simply not true! It's the number of pixels that are important, not the physical size of the screen. A 27" 4k display will need exactly the same amount of graphics processing power as a 65" 4k display - for a specific graphics card, the performance for both screen sizes should be identical.

To the OP, you'll see a performance change going from full HD to 4k but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't still be playable at the higher resolution.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gboz said:

Just try setting up x4 DSR in the NV control panel, 3D Global settings.
This will simulate 4K and give you a very good idea of how your system will handle it.

gb.

I did and didn't notice any change. Does it make sense to use the DSR option with a 4k TV? I also have AA turned off in P3D and am using Nvidia Inspector for AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I can promise you that what I wrote is exactly accurate my friend. You can test this yourself easily enough by monitoring your frame rates as you adjust the size of your window.

Best wishes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Well, I can promise you that what I wrote is exactly accurate my friend. You can test this yourself easily enough by monitoring your frame rates as you adjust the size of your window.

Best wishes.

 

Adjusting the size of your window is not the same as adjusting the size of your TV... sorry..  :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bert, try to take what I'm saying in Context.  Would you please go back and re-read what I said?  I promise you it's accurate.

Let's also, please, take what I said into the context of my background.

Many thanks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

 

Well, I can promise you that what I wrote is exactly accurate my friend. You can test this yourself easily enough by monitoring your frame rates as you adjust the size of your window.

Best wishes.

 

vortex681 and Bert Pieke are correct on this point.  As you said, resizing the window will affect frame rate as it reduces or increases the number of pixels being drawn, but, in fullscreen mode, or using the entire viewport in windowed mode, the size of the TV or monitor will have no effect on the framerate providing the resolution is the same. A 40" and 80" 4k TV will produce the same performance if you are filling the entire screen. If you upgrade from a 1920x1080 to a 3840x2160 TV your are rendering 4x as many pixels irregardless of the size of the TV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

You can test this yourself easily enough by monitoring your frame rates as you adjust the size of your window.

But as others have already pointed out, by varying the size of the WINDOW (not the screen), you change the number of pixels being addressed and so, obviously, performance will change.

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Would you please go back and re-read what I said?  I promise you it's accurate.

You said "it's the size of the TV that you'll be using that will make the difference. The larger the device, the greater the dip". The size of the TV (device) makes no difference at all to the performance if the resolution remains the same. 4k is normally assumed to be 3840 × 2160 (8,294,400 pixels) - if you double the physical size of the screen but it's still 4k, the number of pixels remains the same (they're just bigger) so the amount of data processed by the graphics card remains the same.  All the graphics card is doing is sending data to the TV to tell it what to do with the pixels, it's not powering the TV.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Canuck said:

I did and didn't notice any change.

Are you sure you set up x4 DSR right in the NVCP and chose that resolution (about 3840x2160) in the sim settings?
You should of seen a significant drop in FPS. ??
If you run the sim in windowed mode you also have to set your desktop resolution to the new DSR resolution. ??
 

gb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gboz said:

Are you sure you set up x4 DSR right in the NVCP and chose that resolution (about 3840x2160) in the sim settings?
You should of seen a significant drop in FPS. ??
If you run the sim in windowed mode you also have to set your desktop resolution to the new DSR resolution. ??
 

gb.

There you go, I didn't select the resolution within the sim...

Anyway, TV ordered and due to arrive tomorrow so I'll test it in the field.

I'm noticing you have the same GPU as me. How is 4k running for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ,

 

Interested in your experience, I currently have a 34" monitor and an asus 970 strix GPU. 

I get about 21fps all the time.

I have ordered a 55" 4k TV, wonder if I will get a fps hit.

I don't want to upgrade my PC till the end of the year.

On 5/10/2017 at 0:53 AM, Canuck said:

There you go, I didn't select the resolution within the sim...

Anyway, TV ordered and due to arrive tomorrow so I'll test it in the field.

I'm noticing you have the same GPU as me. How is 4k running for you?

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a 4k TV and did quite a bit of testing. I went from a 1280 x 1024 monitor to triple 1280 x 1080 monitors, then to a 4k TV. The performance drop is not straight forward and depends on your scenery, planes, and settings used.

I have a 3770K at 4.5 ghz and a 780 GTX with only 3gb of VRAM.

In P3Dv3 I have GEX/UTX scenery and had a drop of about 15% going from the single monitor to the 4k TV.

In P3Dv2 I have only ORBX scenery with all regions, vector, global, and NA Landclass. I had a drop of 25-30% on this setup. i don't know if this larger drop was due to the ORBX scenery or P3Dv2. I used the exact same settings in both sims.

I feel I could write a thesis on this now but the bottom line and answer to the OP's original question is my 780 GTX is handling the 4k resolution much better than I expected and is fine as long as the weather is not too heavy.

The biggest performance degradation was going from the single monitor to the triple monitors. The drop from the triple monitors to the 4k monitor was a lot less.

Ted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now