phoenixphire

Prepar3D v4 Photoscenery Compatibitly

Is there any reason my photoscenery would not be compatible with the upcoming P3D v4? I have tons of megascenery and other photoscenery and I would hate for it to sit on a hardrive. it would be nice to enjoy it in the 64bit environment. I can't see why it wouldn't but I'am not very knowledgable about such matters. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well in case anyone is interested. My initial test is that photoscenery installs into P3DV4 with no issues so far. 

On 31/05/2017 at 8:42 AM, pugilist2 said:

Does it look better with the extended LOD?

I'm finding that photoscenery now looks far better in V4 than it's ever looked before.

Phil

Photoscenery in v4 is 2 LOD levels off. In V3 it was laid down in 256x256, while in v4 there now is 1024x1024 and 512x512.

So further away it now is less sharp.

On ‎02‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 10:03 PM, GSalden said:

Photoscenery in v4 is 2 LOD levels off. In V3 it was laid down in 256x256, while in v4 there now is 1024x1024 and 512x512.

So further away it now is less sharp.

I am still in my preparation phase for P3DV4 :happy: and currently running P3DV3.

Do I understand you correctly that the blurriness of photoscenery in the distance is even worse in V4 than it is in V3? :ohmy:

One of my biggest hopes for V4 was an improvement of the distant blurries (to clarify: I am not talking about blurries caused by slow texture loading, but the problem with LOD levels in the distance). So that is only improved for the landclass textures but not for photoscenery even with the new LOD and TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP settings? And even worsened?

By setting the LOD radius to Ultra instead of High you can improve the sharpness of the photo scenery..

7 minutes ago, GSalden said:

By setting the LOD radius to Ultra instead of High you can improve the sharpness of the photo scenery..

So that it is as good (or bad...) as in V3?

Sorry for insisting but since I almost exclusively use photoreal scenery, if the sharpness would be worse than in V3, this would really be a reason for me to wait for 4.1 or whatever until it gets improved.

Here I am using photo scenery only + custom AG on top of it.

It now looks almost as good as in V3.

3 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Here I am using photo scenery only + custom AG on top of it.

It now looks almost as good as in V3.

Thanks, Gerard!

On 15-7-2017 at 5:48 PM, pgde said:

What custom AG are you using?

- OpenVFR 

- freeware + OpenVFR merged

- Prealsoft London AG

I have Prealsoft_HD Cities-London but the scenery is terrible. The scenery overlays the normal scenery and I only get a hazy view with a few blocks of buildings. I followed the instructions as is given with the two files downloaded and placed the 'reconstructed' folder in the Addon-folder. The Scenery folder has 18 files and the texture file 2505 files. Am I missing something? Does it matter where in the priority list it is placed? I tried it in FSX as well as in P3Dv4 - no difference. Help will be appreciated.

On 8/10/2017 at 6:49 AM, GSalden said:

- OpenVFR 

- freeware + OpenVFR merged

- Prealsoft London AG

How's London look?

I tried loading the Megascenery Maricopa county demo and nothing shows up even though the scenery.cfg looks good.  I thought it was an issue with P3Dv4 so I then downloaded my Colorado photoreal scenery to see if I had the same issue there (Colorado is in our file library, I host it here).  Colorado showed up perfectly, sharp into the far distance over 100 miles away, better than my old system with a short in seconds load time.

Not sure why Megascenery's demo does not appear.  I tried putting the bgl's with my Colorado bgl's and it still would not appear, even though P3d saw the bgls and reloaded the indexes.

I want to invest in Megascenery but can't if I can't get their small demo to work I won't risk it.  Colorado will serve me well for VFR photoreal flight, lots of flight options there but I wanted to extend coverage westward out to Califormia.  Stumped here really.  Others have no issues with it.  What's different between my Colorado scenery and Megascenery I do not know.  I spun the Colorado bgl's using FSX originally and FSEarthtiles.  They aren't ultrahighres but resolve fine at about 1000 ft. AGL.  I checked the scenery.cfg and the Megascenery demo entry was in the right place, I put Colorado just after it.  All my Colorado bgl's, about 100plus, are in the same folder on a separate partition.  Only thing I did not try was putting Megascenery on the same partition as P3D.  Might make a difference, but I think users would put scenery on a second partition for backup reasons.

John