Sign in to follow this  
kaosfere

v4 Early Impressons

57 minutes ago, davidzill said:

I'm new to Prepar3d. Just installed today with a fairly robust computer (4790 @ 4.9 ghz, two 1080 GTX's, 16 GB DDR3) Fairly modest settings, can get frames above 22fps. I was thinking this was going to be awesome, but I'm getting far more amazing performance from FSX. What do I need to do do bump up to a solid 60 FPS? Edit: Just lowered all graphical settings, cannot get FPS above 30 no matter what. 

You'll find that, with P3D, your mindset will change. Unless you are after bragging rights, you don't need 60fps, FWIW, I have mine locked at 20fps and it's perfect. The trick it tuning your sim to get it SMOOTH first and then lowering the FPS.

Now, to be fair, this was with V3 - I expect it will be the same with v4 but YMMV. Mainly, get high fps thinking on the back burner.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

24 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

You'll find that, with P3D, your mindset will change. Unless you are after bragging rights, you don't need 60fps, FWIW, I have mine locked at 20fps and it's perfect. The trick it tuning your sim to get it SMOOTH first and then lowering the FPS.

Now, to be fair, this was with V3 - I expect it will be the same with v4 but YMMV. Mainly, get high fps thinking on the back burner.

Vic

Using the hat switch to pan the view at anything less than 28-30 fps clearly shows anything but smooth. 

Using track ir below 30 fps is virtually impossible. 

Maybe my eyes are more sensitive to it but I have never understood the smooth vs fps debate. You don't get one without the other although I will say that 60 fps is overkill for flight sim. 

Its possible to get smooth at 20 fps if all you do is stare straight ahead and never move the viewpoint bu the minute the viewpoint pans the immersion is killed. Still, each to their own of course.

Besides, with the posters rig he should be seeing much better performance than he's getting. Something is clearly wrong but figuring out what requires further investigation. 

• Upvote 5

I have it and 8t is excellent. .. now what...?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mr_LoL said:

My VAS usage is very high at 42GB according to process explorer. Anyone else???

My VAS showed over 70GB but the Private Working Set was only around 3GB, which is what P3D actually had in physical RAM.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

1 hour ago, davidzill said:

What are your frames?

I haven't done extensive testing, but I'd say similar to v3?  Hard to say without weather, heavy-duty aircraft etc.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Can anybody confirm if there is any benefit from leaving Hyperthreading on now? I had it set to off for v3.

1 hour ago, GHarrall said:

Using the hat switch to pan the view at anything less than 28-30 fps clearly shows anything but smooth. 

Using track ir below 30 fps is virtually impossible. 

Maybe my eyes are more sensitive to it but I have never understood the smooth vs fps debate. You don't get one without the other although I will say that 60 fps is overkill for flight sim. 

Its possible to get smooth at 20 fps if all you do is stare straight ahead and never move the viewpoint bu the minute the viewpoint pans the immersion is killed. Still, each to their own of course.

Besides, with the posters rig he should be seeing much better performance than he's getting. Something is clearly wrong but figuring out what requires further investigation. 

Not the time for this debate again but just tried TIR in V4 and it's perfectly smooth. My eyes are extremely sensitive to movement also but it just comes down to different systems and preferences. From what I have seen, most of the posters on the various forums I visit aim for too high FPS when they should concentrate on smooth performance. Bottom line, if it's NOT smooth, it's not going to look any better at 60fps.

Back to the op - I agree - with that system he should be getting better performance right out of the box - something is not right.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Smoothness. That's what I'm experiencing above anything else so far. I've only flown an hour or so, but, yeah, smooth is good. No long frames during a turn...whoopie! This is with settings I thought would choke the stuffing out of my rig.

Also, some new stock aircraft. The Lockheed Electra 10 is pretty cool. I like the fact the pilot has short hair, moustache and goatee. Quite appropriate I think. There's an F-16 too.

Can't wait to try this with full on Orbx.

Off to install FlyTampa stuff...

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I'm surprised that I'm getting much better fps in LA than in London. Weird

i9 7920X @ 4.7  | MSi x299 Gaming Pro Carbon  | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti | 32GB DDR4 GSkill 3000mhz | 1 TB Samsung 960 EVO | 3TB Toshiba 7200rpm.

Not to burst bubbles, but every time a new version is released, everyone hypes the smoothness, until scenery like Orbx and the multitude of other addons are added. 

• Upvote 5

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

2 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

Not to burst bubbles, but every time a new version is released, everyone hypes the smoothness, until scenery like Orbx and the multitude of other addons are added. 

It's why I always say "show me the raw data!".

• Upvote 1

I'm getting great performance too, but with HT on, all four logical and four virtual cores are getting hammered hard with a vanilla install. What will happen later, is anyone's guess. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Iv'e tested with Orbx SOCAL with cloudy weather themes & with the default Baron was seeing 50fps plus with most sliders maxxed & 35fps with the Xtreme Prototype Lear25 which required optimized parts turned off which can rob you of 10fps. In all instances sim was smooth. I'm yet to test with a weather engine however any of the default cloudy themes did not appear to have as much impact as previous versions.

I'm running an i7 7700K @5.0Gz, ASUS IX Hero MB, 16Gb Ram & GTX970 4Gb.

This sim is definitely an improvement over v3 in my opinion.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit