Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

RealAir Turbine Duke V2 in Prepar3d V4

20 minutes ago, mac44 said:

Ryan just to check when you say "just pointed the installer to v4" do you mean you just ran the stock TD installer but instead at aiming it at v3 you aimed it at your v4 folder or did you do all the file editing as mentioned above as well to get it working (reason I ask is have the TD and lancair which are 2 of my favourite aircraft and want them working ASAP in v4 (even if some sounds are missing!) preferably without editing all the files - if its possible.....

Hello

i haven't tried the TD yet but for the legacy v2 (the most recent release for P3D v2-3) that's all I did.  No editing etc.  I did have to manually move a few file after install but it was basically self explanatory 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I looove my Turbine Duke but I only have the FSX version.  I was gutted when I realised Real Air shipped separate installers.  I took a punt and ran the FSX installer but pointed it to my P3D installation folder seeing what would happen.  I've just flown from Southend to Amsterdam and everything appeared to work fine.  Flight controls, lighting day and night etc and all functions of the aircraft appear to work just fine!  Weather this is frowned upon I don't know but I can't do without my trusty duke. 

Anyone else done this?

Thomas Derbyshire

I agree - all these files - everything should be in the Simobjects folder.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

55 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

One big issue with doing all this the LM way, is that programs like Chaseplane and Precipitfx won't work right because it needs access to your aircraft.cfg. My understanding is that they are aware.

Honestly, having your addons all over the place, having to reorganize them, edit xml and cfg, because, at the end of the day, developers will not conform to the same standards, is truly assanign. For those with OCD and require organization, this adds far more workload. 

Example, FSDT placed entries into add-on.cfg in ProgramData, while A2A and other place entry in Appdata Roaming. Its just so disorganized now. 

Also A2A places Simobjects, Effects etc, with add-on.xml in Docs folder on C: drive (which is ridiculous imo)  while other developers place just the add-on.xml with Sim files in the traditional P3D Root Simobjects folder, and others conform to neither like Aerosoft's Twotter. 

This is not good. 

I have used the LM approach and installed A2A C172 and placed my Duke in the same external folder for P3Dv4 Add-ons outside the install folder. When I launched P3Dv4 with Chaseplane it knew those were my aircraft from my P3Dv3 profile setups and it was as though I was flying P3Dv3 in terms of my views that I setup in Chaseplane no issues. Additionally I use SPAD.next for my Saitek equipment and it is also porting over my P3Dv3 profiles with no issue? Unless I'm missing something it's not a mess so far. This seems very much like what X Plane does with their Aircraft Add-on Folder.

Joe 

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

Nope I haven't 

but since the plane installed into v4 directory why would models also install to v3?

or are you speaking of the dll xml files?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

9 hours ago, sidfadc said:

I looove my Turbine Duke but I only have the FSX version.  I was gutted when I realised Real Air shipped separate installers.  I took a punt and ran the FSX installer but pointed it to my P3D installation folder seeing what would happen.  I've just flown from Southend to Amsterdam and everything appeared to work fine.  Flight controls, lighting day and night etc and all functions of the aircraft appear to work just fine!  Weather this is frowned upon I don't know but I can't do without my trusty duke. 

Anyone else done this?

Scrap that none of the sounds for buttons work in the cockpit, switches flaps gears etc.  Is there a correct way to shoehorn the fsx installation into P3D or not?

Thomas Derbyshire

I've created a Legacy Aircraft add-on.xml, with a folder containing simpbjects, gauges and effects folders etc and am slowly moving my old planes into it.
I don't have the TD but do have the Scout (FSX DVD) and that works fine this way apart from cockpit sounds - I suspect they are due to the known 32-bit sound gauge problem  that effects many planes. Just turn the engine sounds up for now :)

I can 'install' planes into my Legacy Aircraft folder as it looks likes an FSX root folder, this seems a very good way to go to me.
One possibility is to define an entire FSX/P3D install as an addon to P3D4 (having deleted the common content from the old folder) - this would be a quick way of getting a LOT of stuff in, but a bit uncontrolled.:ohmy:
I'm doing it bit by bit.

Cheers
Keith

9 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Nope I haven't 

but since the plane installed into v4 directory why would models also install to v3?

No.  Did you read the link I provided?

if you try to run v3.4 again, I'd be interested in what happens. 

15 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Nope I haven't 

Ryan - any chance of an update on if everything is now working ok? (think I might use your approach if you report no problems).....also can you confirm what you meant by having to move a couple of files (which are self explanatory?) from your earlier post......

On 6/1/2017 at 0:10 AM, joepoway said:

Jay

Something I discovered was I added the "add-on.xml" file as you suggested to my RA Turbine Duke folder. Then I copied the entire folder with the new add-on.xml file into the P3Dv4 Add-ons folder that was created by the P3Dv4 install.

Then all you have to do is launch the P3Dv4 sim and it asks you if you want to add the new add-on aircraft and you hit yes and it creates the path file in the

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 for you.

I tried this because when I installed the new A2A C172 P3Dv4 compatible installer that's what happened when I launched P3Dv4 so I thought I would try it with the Duke and it WORKED!

So this way you don't have to edit any config files, it makes the appropriate entry for you.

I was also wondering why the GTN system doesn't work in P3Dv4.

I notice in the "add-on.xml" file you only point to Effects whereas in the A2A C172 "add-on.xml" file they point to Effects, Fonts, and Gauges. I know there is no Gauges folder for the Duke but a couple folders deeper under Realair there is the "Config Panel.exe"  Is there any way to get the panel to work or create a gauges folder by running this?

I assume if there was one created it would have to be referenced in the "add-on.xml" file like the A2AC172 does:

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>A2A</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>Aircraft by A2A Simulations Inc.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Effects</Category>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Fonts</Category>
        <Path>Fonts</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Gauges</Category>
        <Path>Gauges</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Scripts</Category>
        <Path>Scripts</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>SimObjects</Category>
        <Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

compared to what we put in the Duke file below:

<AddOn.Name>RealAir</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>RealAir Turbine Duke V2.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Just curious because everything works great and I'm wondering what it will take to activate the GTN panel. Perhaps it's all related to the GTN 750 from Flight1 but I thought Realair might have had their own implementation like my Eclipse 550 NG in X Plane 11 does.

Thanks for all your help and information

Joe

Joe,

Your method worked like a charm for both my Duke V2 and Legacy V2.  I received the prompt to add RealAir when I loaded Prepar3D.  Thanks a million for your post as I didn't feel comfortable running the installers!  Now I just wait patiently for the sounds to be converted to 64-bit.

Jesse

I'm going to add a quick suggestion that is going to save headaches if you are importing both the Lancair Legacy and Turbine Duke into P3D v4.  While I was initially able add both the Lancair Legacy and Turbine Duke into Prepar3D, I was having an odd issue where subsequent sim bootups only showed the Lancair Legacy (and NOT the Turbine Duke) in my Aircraft Selection.  

After a few minutes of investigating, I discovered that each RealAir add-on.xml file must have a unique Add-on name.  

My add-on xml files now contain the following text (bold showing the suggested change).

<AddOn.Name>RealAir Lancair Legacy V2</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>RealAir Legacy V2.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

<AddOn.Name>RealAir Turbine Duke V2</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Since both of my add-ons were initially labeled "RealAir" in their respective xml files, P3D was removing the Duke (probably because it was added after the Lancair). 

2 hours ago, blackbird7 said:

I'm going to add a quick suggestion that is going to save headaches if you are importing both the Lancair Legacy and Turbine Duke into P3D v4.  While I was initially able add both the Lancair Legacy and Turbine Duke into Prepar3D, I was having an odd issue where subsequent sim bootups only showed the Lancair Legacy (and NOT the Turbine Duke) in my Aircraft Selection.  

After a few minutes of investigating, I discovered that each RealAir add-on.xml file must have a unique Add-on name.  

My add-on xml files now contain the following text (bold showing the suggested change).

<AddOn.Name>RealAir Lancair Legacy V2</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>RealAir Legacy V2.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

<AddOn.Name>RealAir Turbine Duke V2</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Since both of my add-ons were initially labeled "RealAir" in their respective xml files, P3D was removing the Duke (probably because it was added after the Lancair). 

Good find. Thanks BB7

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Just now, reecemj said:

Good find. Thanks BB7

No problem.  The deeper I dig, the more hiccups I am finding.  The TD's config panel that was copied over to the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder with the rest of the RealAir contents isn't affecting changes for the aircraft in Prepar3D v4.  Instead, it is still making changes to my aircraft in Prepar3D v3, sigh.  The more I think about it, the more it seems that it might just be easier to do a new install and point to P3D v4.

That being said, many options (such as cold and dark) can be manually changed in Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Turbine Duke V2 P3D3\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Duke Turbine V2\panel\Config\Options.xml

If anyone figures out how to point the config panel to the appropriate path, that would be awesome.  :smile:

24 minutes ago, blackbird7 said:

No problem.  The deeper I dig, the more hiccups I am finding.  The TD's config panel that was copied over to the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder with the rest of the RealAir contents isn't affecting changes for the aircraft in Prepar3D v4.  Instead, it is still making changes to my aircraft in Prepar3D v3, sigh.  The more I think about it, the more it seems that it might just be easier to do a new install and point to P3D v4.

That being said, many options (such as cold and dark) can be manually changed in Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Turbine Duke V2 P3D3\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Duke Turbine V2\panel\Config\Options.xml

If anyone figures out how to point the config panel to the appropriate path, that would be awesome.  :smile:

Thats what I will use until its fixed. Thanks again.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV