Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

RealAir Turbine Duke V2 in Prepar3d V4

19 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Not all the sounds are adjustable in the Soundmanager.xml.  The one's that are, are right at the top of the file and flaps sound is not one of them. It must be initialized in one of the other XML files. Thomas posted the Lvars:

Lvar47=dsdFlapMotorVol
Lvar48=dsdFlapMotorVol
Lvar49=dsdFlapMotorVol

but I haven't been able to locate where they are initialized, although the variable is referenced in lines  1147, 1154 and 1177 in SoundManager.xml. Overall, my sounds are not too loud, except for the wind noise which is intialized in SoundManager.xml.

If you want to get a little adventurous...

You can delete the LVar assignments noted above from the .ini file.  This will stop the gauge from using those variables to control the sounds' volume.  Now the volume assignments you make in the .ini file will stick.  Do make a backup of the .ini file.  While it is very unlikely that this approach will cause any problems, you will want to be able to reverse it should the need arise.

Doug

Thanks Doug, that is a worthwhile suggestion.

For some reason most of the TD's extra sounds seem the right volume for me, except for one of the atmospheric sounds. It must have something  to do with personal  preferences and how each user sets the volumes for the broad sound categories  in the sim's UI. Changing the "standard" sound volumes must make the gauge controlled  sounds seem more or less pronounced.

On 29/06/2017 at 3:46 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

The RealAir Turbine Duke installer would have installed the aircraft to its own folder, outside of P3d V3, so the first post in this thread explains how to get the aircraft working in P3d V4 with the new add-on.xml method. To make the TD sound gauge work in both V3 and V4 simultaneously, follow Doug Dawson's suggestion but do not edit the entry for gauge21, but rather add Doug's gauge as gauge25. The two versions of P3d will both ignore the wrong versions of the gauge and only use the correct version. I just checked this and it worked for me. Report back if you notice a problem.

Hi Jay,

I wonder, would you mind reproducing your sound line entries in Panel.cfg, please? I thought I had followed your instructions correctly and certainly all sounds are present in P3Dv4, but for some reason are now absent in P3Dv3. Same for the Legacy - okay in 4 but not in 3. Clearly I've misunderstood something.

Should I have both the new .dll and the original .gau file present in each a/c's respective Panel folders?

RASDukeTv2_Sound.dll
RASDukeTv2_Sound.gau

RASLegacy_Sound_V2.dll
RASLegacy_Sound_V2.gau

Many thanks,

Mike

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Jay,

Should I have both the new .dll and the original .gau file present in each a/c's respective Panel folders?

RASDukeTv2_Sound.dll
RASDukeTv2_Sound.gau

RASLegacy_Sound_V2.dll
RASLegacy_Sound_V2.gau

Many thanks,

Mike

Absolutely not.  The sim will attempt to load the first gauge it finds.  If that happened to be the 32 bit version, you would be without sound.  Delete the 32 bit files.

10 minutes ago, ddawson said:

Absolutely not.  The sim will attempt to load the first gauge it finds.  If that happened to be the 32 bit version, you would be without sound.  Delete the 32 bit files.

Hi Doug,

Now that's where I become confused. Jay appears to have succeeded in getting this to work in both P3Dv3 and 4. My assumption, therefore, is that both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the sound gauge file would need to be present to satisfy this requirement. If I delete the 32bit files then I would have no cockpit sounds in P3Dv3. I have the feeling I'm missing something obvious here and that's why I'm curious to see those entries in each panel.cfg for his Duke and the Legacy.

Regards,

Mike

Sorry guys it does work. There are two distinct versions of DLLs referenced with different file names. Place the original at 21 (no change) and the 64 bit DLL at 25. I am on vacation away from my sim PC so I can't post the snippet of my panel.cfg.

Besides if a 64 bit app tries to load a 32  bit DLL, it gets loaded as a data file and not code. Google this if you don't believe  me.

10 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Doug,

Now that's where I become confused. Jay appears to have succeeded in getting this to work in both P3Dv3 and 4. My assumption, therefore, is that both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the sound gauge file would need to be present to satisfy this requirement. If I delete the 32bit files then I would have no cockpit sounds in P3Dv3. I have the feeling I'm missing something obvious here and that's why I'm curious to see those entries in each panel.cfg for his Duke and the Legacy.

Regards,

Mike

You're looking for this kind of arrangement then:

gauge21=RASDukeTv2_Sound!Sound, 1,1,2,2,\Sound\RASDukeTv2_Sound.ini
gauge25=dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64!Sound, 1,1,2,2, \Sound\RASDukeTv2_Sound.ini

1 hour ago, ddawson said:

You're looking for this kind of arrangement then:

gauge21=RASDukeTv2_Sound!Sound, 1,1,2,2,\Sound\RASDukeTv2_Sound.ini
gauge25=dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64!Sound, 1,1,2,2, \Sound\RASDukeTv2_Sound.ini

Hi Doug,

The thick plottens..lol!

Thanks very much, your suggestion worked, but I'm still left with a bit of a puzzle.

Here are the relevant sections from each Panel.cfg file:

Turbine Duke V2 P3D3

gauge21=RASDukeTv2_Sound!Sound, 1,1,2,2, \Sound\RASDukeTv2_Sound.ini
gauge22=RASDuke!Sound_Manager, 1,1,3,3

gauge23=RASDuke!Pressurisation, 1024, 1023, 1, 1
gauge24=Config!ModelOptions, 1020, 1023, 1, 1
gauge25=RASDuke_Sound!Sound, 1,1,2,2, \Sound\RASDukeTv2_Sound.ini

Gauge files:

RASDukeTV2_Sound.gau (P3Dv3),  RASDuke_Sound.dll (P3Dv4)

Legacy V2 P3D3

gauge21=RASLegacy_Sound_V2!Sound, 0,0,1,1, \Sound\RASLegacy_Sound_V2.ini
gauge22=RASLegacy!Sound_Manager, 0,1,1,1

gauge23=RASLegacy!Oxygen, 1,1,1,1
gauge24=RASLegacy!Gauge_Backlight, 811,446,213,213
gauge25=RASLegacy!Gauge_Backlight_Screens, 794,447,16,16
gauge26=dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64!Sound, 0,0,1,1, \Sound\RASLegacy_Sound_V2.ini

Gauge files:

RASLegacy_Sound_V2.gau (P3Dv3),  dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.dll (P3Dv4)

You will note that the P3Dv3 configuration remains unchanged from the default installation entries and the Panel sounds are now working again in both aircraft.

However, while renaming your 64bit sound gauge with the corresponding change of line entry for gauge25 has worked for the the Duke in P3Dv4, similar changes proved to be ineffective for the Legacy (this despite confirming accuracy of spelling and syntax). However, by using your  dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.dll as is with the corresponding line entry change to gauge26 this has proved to be the magic bullet!

For the moment, the logic eludes me :(

Regards,

Mike

Seems to me that the logic is, each sound gauge has a unique id, therefore no conflicts.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Why does the same panel code have to work in V3 and V4?

Would it not be cleaner to have the 32 bit gauge only called in the V3 panel, and the 64 bit gauge in the V4 panel?

Logic like... "this will be ignored in Version X" will likely get you in trouble sooner or later.  :happy:

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Why does the same panel code have to work in V3 and V4?

Would it not be cleaner to have the 32 bit gauge only called in the V3 panel, and the 64 bit gauge in the V4 panel?

Logic like... "this will be ignored in Version X" will likely get you in trouble sooner or later.  :happy:

Hi Bert,

Not sure I follow you. There is no 'V4 panel' as such. V3 uses one gauge (32bit) and V4 uses Doug's updated 64bit gauge. So, two different gauges each being called specifically by their dedicated lines in each of the a/c's existing Panel.cfg.

As I understood Jay's instructions all we had to do was leave unchanged the line in the respective a/c's Panel.cfg referencing the 32bit gauge and it should continue working for the Duke and Legacy in Prepar3D v3 as intended originally. The proposed extra line introduced to cover the Duke and Legacy in Prepar3D v4 needs to be configured to use Doug's 64bit sound gauge and was accomplished by changing the name of the file with a corresponding matching change to the additional line entry in each a/c's Panel.cfg. This worked for the Duke but, for whatever reason, did not for the Legacy until I used Doug's original file name for his 64bit sound gauge. 

Overall an elegant solution that complements the sharing of a single installation of the Duke and Legacy by both Prepar3D v3 (assuming it is still installed) and also Prepar3D v4.

Regards,

Mike

Why do you have to share the airplane between V3 and V4?

Elegant maybe, but also potentially troublesome..

V4 is different enough that it deserves to be treated as a "new" flightsim, IMHO.

Bert

I normally wouldn't  have even bothered but the Flight1  GTN gauges don't work with P3d V4 and this type of setup is just a transient. It doesn't cause any problems  BTW.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Why do you have to share the airplane between V3 and V4?

Elegant maybe, but also potentially troublesome..

V4 is different enough that it deserves to be treated as a "new" flightsim, IMHO.

Wouldn't you if you had a fully functioning Duke and Legacy in Prepar3D v3? Also, why rush to ditch V3 when, with all the fully compatible and compliant installed addons, it still has so much more to offer than the yet to mature V4?

RealAir have 'shut up shop' so we have to work with what we have. We are extraordinarily fortunate to have discovered the Duke and Legacy both appear to be closely compatible (?compliant) with Prepar3D v4. They are exceptional creations and certainly worth preserving for as long as is feasible.

Regards,

Mike

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

Wouldn't you if you had a fully functioning Duke and Legacy in Prepar3D v3? Also, why rush to ditch V3 when, with all the fully compatible and compliant installed addons, it still has so much more to offer than the yet to mature V4?

RealAir have 'shut up shop' so we have to work with what we have. We are extraordinarily fortunate to have discovered the Duke and Legacy both appear to be closely compatible (?compliant) with Prepar3D v4. They are exceptional creations and certainly worth preserving for as long as is feasible.

Regards,

Mike

I think we are misunderstanding each other... I was not thinking of ditching V3,  but rather duplicate copies for V3 and V4.

Bert