strider1

Xplane Q And A With Austin Meyer

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for posting this!

Hmmm... nothing about weather (boo, hiss), but since a change didn't make it into the initial XP11 release, it's probably too soon to hope for it. Maybe next year.

That G1000 will make a lot of people happy. The VR demo was interesting, but personally I'm still waiting one more generation of hardware for higher res. No mention of new default aircraft (Citation? Lancair?), but they may be waiting until the G1000 is ready. 

Are there any videos of the Q&A session after the presentation? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paraffin said:

Thanks for posting this!

Hmmm... nothing about weather (boo, hiss), but since a change didn't make it into the initial XP11 release, it's probably too soon to hope for it. Maybe next year.

That G1000 will make a lot of people happy. The VR demo was interesting, but personally I'm still waiting one more generation of hardware for higher res. No mention of new default aircraft (Citation? Lancair?), but they may be waiting until the G1000 is ready. 

Are there any videos of the Q&A session afterwards? 

I think weather is going to be a XP12 feature :( They can't give you the perfect simulator out of the box, they would have no new features for future sales. It's like Apple, incremental updates keeps the cash flowing in. 

The G1000 is going to be awesome ! This is great news for the Carenado G1000 planes if they use this new default G1000 ! I am looking fwd to the approach procedures !

I am waiting for higher res VR too !

Its nice to see autogen still being actively worked on !

No mention of ATC or 3D water either.

Hopefully somebody posts the Q&A on Youtube.

No perpetual Moon and Sun ephemeris either :-(  Bummer!

So happy about the VR addition, will be interesting to see how it fares against the current front runner AF FS2 (gorgeous in VR).

15 minutes ago, strider1 said:

The G1000 is going to be awesome ! This is great news for the Carenado G1000 planes if they use this new default G1000 ! I am looking fwd to the approach procedures !

From hints in the Carenado forum, it sounds like they'll be using this instead of the partially-developed one they had. It will set back the XP11 versions of those planes until Laminar releases it, but it will make those planes much better in the long run. I think this applies to the Thranda Quest Kodiak too.

10 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Thanks for posting this Q&A, btw!

You need to thank the guy that posted it on Youtube !

2 minutes ago, strider1 said:

You need to thank the guy that posted it on Youtube !

That's true - but you did some work as well ... :happy:

Don't count on flight sims to do everything. To get the best weather just like in P3D addons will be required.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, kakusso said:

Don't count on flight sims to do everything. To get the best weather just like in P3D addons will be required.

Addons will allow more options in cloud types and cloud rendering, but the underlying weather engine in the sim is a limit on what can be done. We can't have vertical convection in and near thunderstorms without a 3D weather engine, for example. XP does model vertical "lift" near ridge lines, but that's a direct flight model effect and not part of the weather system (AFAIK).

Here's what the Active Sky Next dev said about it, over in the other thread here:

"We've been working on X-Plane for a while now, but the weather-related API functions and weather depiction system in general is fairly limited in comparison to FSX/P3D, which has been a challenge. For a realism-based weather simulation solution, having only three cloud layers, of only a few potential types with no cloud type, structure or independent coverage control has been the main setback."

He's probably talking about XP10 there, because there are a few more horizontal layers in XP11. Also SkyMaxx Pro demonstrated the ability to add more horizontal layers with a plugin. But horizontal layers won't cut it, if we want the dynamics of this weather system to be act better, and allow for more realistic modeling. And then, the addon developers can make it look better. 

48 minutes ago, tgcbraun said:

Amazing VR implementation. Can hardly wait!!! Thank you!!!

Yeah really raising the bar with native support, and that mention of Vulkan has me wondering on how much of a performance boost we should be expecting.

What point in the video does discuss g1000?  I'm at work and want to read about it but on limited bandwidth 

From what I've seen in early Vulkan implementations in other software, there isn't a dramatic increase in raw speed over OpenGL.  Maybe a 10% boost in franerates, if that.  Instead, performance is smoothed out so you don't get framerate dips.

10 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

What point in the video does discuss g1000?  I'm at work and want to read about it but on limited bandwidth 

6 hours ago, strider1 said:

Rain effects on the road map !

AI and ATC improvements coming !

Ground shaking fixed !!!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/150893642

The body language on that panel discussion between the Lockheed/P3D guy, the DTG team, and the Laminar team is fascinating to watch. Not trying to say anything specific here, you can draw your own conclusions.

Austin could have dialed back the intensity a little, but it's clear where the different sims are going.

Also, I'll believe the ground shaking fixed when I see it. If they can finally fix it, that's great, but it has never bothered me, and it seems to vary a lot between different user setups.

19 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

The body language on that panel discussion between the Lockheed/P3D guy, the DTG team, and the Laminar team is fascinating to watch. Not trying to say anything specific here, you can draw your own conclusions.

Austin could have dialed back the intensity a little, but it's clear where the different sims are going.

Also, I'll believe the ground shaking fixed when I see it. If they can finally fix it, that's great, but it has never bothered me, and it seems to vary a lot between different user setups.

There is a lot to look fwd to in Xplane future ! Can we fast fwd a few years ?!!!

The ground shacking doesn't bother me to much since I don't linger on the ground to long, but it's definitely noticeable. Its probably really noticeable in VR.  

The one bug that really bothers me the most is the autogen lights being visible through the clouds at night. That needs to get fixed ASAP, it really ruins my night flying when shooting approaches.

I would like to see there someone from IPACS too.

15 hours ago, strider1 said:

Rain effects on the road map !

AI and ATC improvements coming !

Ground shaking fixed !!!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/150893642

Is there someone kind enough to summarize the main points LR talked about in the two videos linked in this thread, for non native english speakers? I think I got most of what has been said, but probably I missed out something. :smile:

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, strider1 said:

I think weather is going to be a XP12 feature :( They can't give you the perfect simulator out of the box, they would have no new features for future sales. It's like Apple, incremental updates keeps the cash flowing in. 

Are you kidding, out of the box, we are on version 11 already. Other than wings and an engine what is more important in aviation than the weather?

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

Are you kidding, out of the box, we are on version 11 already. Other than wings and an engine what is more important in aviation than the weather?

Rest assured that the next version of Xenviro will make X-Plane's own weather engine obsolete.

Also, Active Sky is confirmed for X-Plane, we'll see how that turns out.