simtom

[P3D v4] Slow loading

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I recently switched from FSX: SE to P3D v4 and I'm still playing around with the settings. I did notice however that P3D loads up much slower then FSX: SE (which has more addons installed). 
Loading time is 2 minutes and then another 30 seconds to initialize.

The add-ons that I currently use with P3D are:
- ENVTEX
- FTX Global
- FTX openLC NA
- URP v1.1

I've also included my settings. I hope someone can clear things up for me as to why the loading times have increased significantly (I guess this probably has to do with the high resolution textures?).

Video (skip to 2:05 to see the initialization):

 

Settings:

NFBNmTA.png

g3uB1tk.png

g4DdvOA.png

MAGAsSf.png

 

Scenery library:
38kUE6x.png

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

See the AVSIM CTD Guide (V4.0 to be released shortly) and follow the directions to set up Process Monitor to monitor only P3DV4.  Once completed, you should be able to see exactly what is loading.  I plan to do the same thing shortly when I find time as my loading times are long too (to the setup screen).

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

See the AVSIM CTD Guide (V4.0 to be released shortly) and follow the directions to set up Process Monitor to monitor only P3DV4.  Once completed, you should be able to see exactly what is loading.  I plan to do the same thing shortly when I find time as my loading times are long too (to the setup screen).

Best regards,

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thank you for the tip. I'll try that tomorrow and report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Lenny777 said:

I take it this is not loading from an SSD?

No, it's not. I'm using a WD Black for all my games and simulators.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, simtom said:

No, it's not. I'm using a WD Black for all my games and simulators.

I'm loading from an WD as well and similar load times. Dang I wish those SSDs would come down in cost!

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

I take it this is not loading from an SSD?

Mine is loading from a Samsung M.2 NVMe 960 EVO SSD, one of the fastest SSD's on the market (if still not the fastest).

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

I'm loading from an WD as well and similar load times. Dang I wish those SSDs would come down in cost!

I, and others, are also seeing the same long load times using SSD drives. Go figure..........

Edited by W2DR
ediited becuase i kan't spel

Share this post


Link to post

You know I've noticed what when I load up P3DV4 first time for the day, it takes a long time to spool up, but if I shut it down and tinker with some addon or something then boot up the sim again, its a lot quicker the second time around.

Share this post


Link to post

If you have enable TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 (4096 TEXTURE SIZE) and/or have installed AI aircraft, it will influence the loading heavily.

Now and then I have to delete p3d.cfg  and the sim goes back to normal, try and see if that's help?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

This: TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. I only use "9", which I consider sufficient on my rig and it basically doubled loading times. For some sceneries such as Switzerland Professional X, it even takes four times (!) longer to load now (I guess cause this is a photoscenery as basis).

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AnkH said:

This: TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. I only use "9", which I consider sufficient on my rig and it basically doubled loading times. For some sceneries such as Switzerland Professional X, it even takes four times (!) longer to load now (I guess cause this is a photoscenery as basis).

I haven't added that line to my config, is it something you would recommend?

Something else I've noticed as well are these stutters. I know there's a thread about that but I'm not sure if I'm having the same stutters:

 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, simtom said:

Hello,

I recently switched from FSX: SE to P3D v4 and I'm still playing around with the settings. I did notice however that P3D loads up much slower then FSX: SE (which has more addons installed). 
Loading time is 2 minutes and then another 30 seconds to initialize... 

1

Makes perfect sense to me. It is a 64bit app which means it is capable of and does load more into RAM. Loading twice to three times as much into RAM has to come into play somewhere. 

Considering it take 10 to 15 minutes to load our FFS Level D simulator at work, 2.5 minutes is more than tolerable. Go make a cup of coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, KenG said:

Makes perfect sense to me. It is a 64bit app which means it is capable of and does load more into RAM. Loading twice to three times as much into RAM has to come into play somewhere. 

Considering it take 10 to 15 minutes to load our FFS Level D simulator at work, 2.5 minutes is more than tolerable. Go make a cup of coffee.

Yeah, that makes sense. 2.5 minutes seems reasonable then ;)

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/18/2017 at 11:57 PM, Jim Young said:

See the AVSIM CTD Guide (V4.0 to be released shortly) and follow the directions to set up Process Monitor to monitor only P3DV4.  Once completed, you should be able to see exactly what is loading.  I plan to do the same thing shortly when I find time as my loading times are long too (to the setup screen).

Best regards,

Jim

I did setup the Process Monitor and it looks like Orbx is causing the long loading times, especially the Libraries.

Share this post


Link to post

One of the big time killers, if you have it installed, is the Global AI Ship Traffic.

I sort of look at like conducting a preflight IRL. You may WANT to jump in and fly but you really should be following proper procedure.

Ditto with your sim system.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, simtom said:

Hello,

I recently switched from FSX: SE to P3D v4 and I'm still playing around with the settings. I did notice however that P3D loads up much slower then FSX: SE (which has more addons installed). 
Loading time is 2 minutes and then another 30 seconds to initialize.

The add-ons that I currently use with P3D are:
- ENVTEX
- FTX Global
- FTX openLC NA
- URP v1.1

 

If you plan on adding more Orbx sceneries they require that mesh resolution be set at 5M.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/19/2017 at 5:44 AM, simtom said:

I haven't added that line to my config, is it something you would recommend?

Something else I've noticed as well are these stutters. I know there's a thread about that but I'm not sure if I'm having the same stutters:

 

If you want to be able to see the stutters better, go ahead and add that line (you do realize I am joking? ) 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

If you want to be able to see the stutters better, go ahead and add that line (you do realize I am joking? ) 

Yes, I do. I just wanted to know if it's something worth trying out (while not looking at performance).

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017-06-18 at 8:55 PM, Olmba said:

If you have enable TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 (4096 TEXTURE SIZE) and/or have installed AI aircraft, it will influence the loading heavily.

Same experience here. I experimented with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and it caused load time to be extremely long. I don't know if that's because I only have 8GB on my 1080 (non-Ti), but when it finally loaded I observed (using CPUID HWMonitor) my video memory usage was at 99%. I backed it off to TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and load time is much more reasonable (perhaps a couple minutes) and video memory use is around 50% give or take depending on geo location. I think 8GB is just a little too low for EXP=10, unfortunately. I wonder if I can use EXP=9.5? :biggrin:

I know you say you haven't played with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP, but you could try installing HWMonitor (it's free) and check your VRAM usage. If you're up near 100% then maybe you need to lower some settings (texture resolution perhaps, or LOD radius) to free up some VRAM and improve load times.

Good luck,
-R

Share this post


Link to post

Forgive me, but why are you running 4096 textures if you do not have a 4K monitor?  Is there some other reason to do so?  I run 2048 textures (P3D v3).  I do not have a 4k monitor.

It probably does take more time to load from a HDD.  Have you defragged your HDD since your P3D install?

I am not a computer wonk, so I am just guessing.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, bills511 said:

If you plan on adding more Orbx sceneries they require that mesh resolution be set at 5M.

Yeah, I've changed it after starting this thread. I guess you don't see that much of a difference between 1m and 5m?

10 hours ago, xrobp said:

Same experience here. I experimented with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and it caused load time to be extremely long. I don't know if that's because I only have 8GB on my 1080 (non-Ti), but when it finally loaded I observed (using CPUID HWMonitor) my video memory usage was at 99%. I backed it off to TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and load time is much more reasonable (perhaps a couple minutes) and video memory use is around 50% give or take depending on geo location. I think 8GB is just a little too low for EXP=10, unfortunately. I wonder if I can use EXP=9.5? :biggrin:

I know you say you haven't played with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP, but you could try installing HWMonitor (it's free) and check your VRAM usage. If you're up near 100% then maybe you need to lower some settings (texture resolution perhaps, or LOD radius) to free up some VRAM and improve load times.

Good luck,
-R

Yesterday I added that line to my config (with a value of 9) and things are still running smoothly. I'm using a 1070 but haven't checked the VRAM usage yet. I'll do that today.

6 hours ago, BuddyDog said:

Forgive me, but why are you running 4096 textures if you do not have a 4K monitor?  Is there some other reason to do so?  I run 2048 textures (P3D v3).  I do not have a 4k monitor.

It probably does take more time to load from a HDD.  Have you defragged your HDD since your P3D install?

I am not a computer wonk, so I am just guessing.

Just for testing actually. I've changed it to High and I get better performance now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, BuddyDog said:

Forgive me, but why are you running 4096 textures if you do not have a 4K monitor?  Is there some other reason to do so?  I run 2048 textures (P3D v3).  I do not have a 4k monitor.

It probably does take more time to load from a HDD.  Have you defragged your HDD since your P3D install?

I am not a computer wonk, so I am just guessing.

Texture size and screen resolution don't have nothing to do with each other :-)

 

I personally do not see any differences in loading time, but also not in quality when swithing from 2048 to 4096 textures.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, simtom said:

Yesterday I added that line to my config (with a value of 9) and things are still running smoothly. I'm using a 1070 but haven't checked the VRAM usage yet. I'll do that today.

Yeah you should be good with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9. I think 9 is the best setting for an 8GB card, as I believe your 1070 would be. Should only take you to around 50% VRAM use, and you'll have nice sharp textures out to a very good distance. Probably works well on 6GB cards too, but likely too high for 4GB cards.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now