Sign in to follow this  
YukonPete

I wonder if Orbx will ever wake up!

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

If you want to support a good cause, and a rather promising one, IMO, go AEFS2 ...

Imagine how fast would a thread deteriorate in the P3D forum if someone there would suggest other users to go to X-Plane. Goes to show how much more tolerant is the X-Plane community. :smile:

• Upvote 5

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 minute ago, Murmur said:

Imagine how fast would a thread deteriorate in the P3D forum if someone there would suggest other users to go to X-Plane. Goes to show how tolerant is the X-Plane community. :smile:

It's not only that Murmur... Everyone knows about The UNINSTALLER's mindset....

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

42 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Imagine how fast would a thread deteriorate in the P3D forum if someone there would suggest other users to go to X-Plane. Goes to show how much more tolerant is the X-Plane community. :smile:

I regularly do that and usually I get a 4 day posting ban (it's worth it). Yesterday I was lucky and all that happened was a total deletion of the entire "discussion" that unfolded. Gotta love some old geezers (no pun) telling me X-Plane "looks like crap".

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Well going into the P3D forum and talking about X-Plane's merits and vice versa is never going to end well. People have a lot invested in that platform and can be incredibly defensive.

I find X-Plane users more tolerant in this regard, maybe it's because we tend to run multiple simulators?

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

other than MrX6's scenery (which are now payware)

The existing airports on the Org are still free.  His new works are now payware started with Salt Lake City.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

11 hours ago, dal330200 said:

What X-plane needs is good weather, good AI and seasonal textures, among other enhancements

+1

I personally don't care much for ORBX.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

You guys can think whatever you want, but it's  John Venema's ego that doesn't let him enter XP market and nothing else. Rational of excuses is just a cover up.. :anonymose:

• Upvote 5

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, Anxu00 said:

The existing airports on the Org are still free.  His new works are now payware started with Salt Lake City.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give anyone that impression. I have all the free ones plus one payware. They are artistic gems.

2 hours ago, tonywob said:

Well going into the P3D forum and talking about X-Plane's merits and vice versa is never going to end well. People have a lot invested in that platform and can be incredibly defensive.

I find X-Plane users more tolerant in this regard, maybe it's because we tend to run multiple simulators?

Hahah... Going into the P3D forum and talking about P3D often never ends well either

P3D is a sect I used to be one of it's members :laugh::blink: 

• Upvote 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 hours ago, tonywob said:

Some P3D & FSX users have complete tunnel vision. They never really try XP other then a 10 min demo flight and the run off telling others its no good!

• Upvote 2

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

22 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

P3D is a sect

:laugh::laugh:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

24 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

P3D is a sect I used to be one of it's members :laugh::blink: 

Glad you made it back. Don't tell of the things that you saw there.:ohmy:

As much as I love orthos, let's be honest, It is quite a commitment in drive space to have significant coverage. I appreciate what ORBX has been able to do with land-class based scenery on the MS based platforms and would welcome a similar upgrade to XP's default offering...doesn't have to be ORBX providing it, though. XP as a platform has so much promise, I'm sure someone will come up with something. 

• Upvote 1

Chris

5 hours ago, JimmiG said:

While I'm normally against DRM, if that's what it takes to get OrbX on board, I'd be willing to accept the inconveniences associated with such a scheme. However it should be noted that P3D/FSX do not natively support DRM, either. The .BGL files, textures and .AGN annotations are open formats. However OrbX use proprietary plugin .dll's for many season/time of day dependent objects and animations. The airports work without them, but much of the scenery will be missing. Maybe they could do something similar in XP, calling on external plugins to place objects?

I dunno, maybe a plugin could load in the general XP environment that would run authorization checks, as you fly into an area with protected scenery. The fact that this hasn't ever been done in X-Plane, by anyone (AFAIK), suggests to me that it isn't possible. Or that it would have undesirable side-effects, like a pause during flight when crossing a scenery boundary.

X-Plane is all about performance (within its paradigm, and yes I know AFS2 is faster, for reasons). Maximizing performance may be the reason why the scenery folders are open in the first place, and don't support the kind of plugins you're talking about for extra features. I'm no expert in that area though. Maybe someone will figure it out.

I have visions of a phone conversation between Austin and the Orbx guy, where a request is made for X-Plane to be modified to include DRM for scenery. And then Austin going.... nah, no way.  :biggrin:

OrbX used to say that they were heavily invested in the P3D tech, and didn't have the resources to learn a new platform and develop new tools for it. However since they suddenly started supporting AFS2, you have to wonder if there were other reasons.

Well, everything you buy as an addon for AFS2 will be through Steam or the Apple App Store. The DRM is built into the distribution method.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor