Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

So, is P3D3 dead?

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

None of my copters work in V4, or does EZdok 1. Can't see any reason to move. 

which helicopters do not work in p3dv4?

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Used FS 9.1 for many years - skipped FSX completely.  Still flying P3D3 with no issues.  No plans to upgrade.

Different strokes for different folks!  :-)

P3D is far from dead.  As long as it serves your needs it will stay.  The rule is simple, if you have not used it for a long time, did not miss it at all then it ceases to be useful for you.  I used it a lot less these days, spending most of of my times in other sim.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

3 hours ago, Venturi said:

will pretty much force users to go to V4

"will pretty much force users to go to V4"

It would be ideal for new simmers that have the hardware for sure however many simmers like myself who have many thousands of dollars invested in add ons can keep happily flying  indefinably, in fact it would probably take me until the end of time to thoroughly explore all my ORBX regions alone :cool:

V4 takes no different hardware than V3.4 or lower.   

• Upvote 1

--Sean Hart

10 hours ago, Holdit said:

I think what's ridiculous, apart from yet another dimwitted thread calling for the death of older sims, is your assumption that people staying with what they have don't have perfectly valid reasons for doing so. Please outline some examples of the "extreme exaggeration" you've witnessed. All I've seen is people weighing up the pros, cons and costs and coming to a decision that P3DV4 isn't for them...and in most of those cases as far as I can see, those people are saying that P3DV4 isn't for them yet. What is so ridiculous about that?

What's the point of all the religious fervour about V4? What is the desire to get everyone on the same bandwagon and question the rationality of those who prefer to go their own way? Are you so insecure in your own decision that you feel the need to question the wisdom of those who choose a different approach? P3DV4 as far as I can see is flourishing very nicely. Why does it require every other FS/P3D version to wither and die? FSX did very nicely while many still stuck with FS9...

First of all - I don't really understand why everybody's getting SO defensive, as soon as you bring up this topic. My reference to the extreme reasons, was obviously not only referring to this thread.
As I already said, I of course understand people who has addons which they're depended on, but which aren't working (yet) in Prepar3D V4! But I've seen some extreme reasons - like you need million-dollar-computer-systems to be able to run Prepar3D V4 - which is why I said, that it isn't necessary. If you're able to run Prepar3D V3, you can run Prepar3D V4. 

Now - the following are written with the following disclaimer:
This is just my personal opinion!!! There's NO need to get WORKED UP, or start being defensive and angry about this! PLEASE. 

I really applaud the developers who's abandoning the legacy platforms (FSX, Prepar3D V1-3.X) in favor of Prepar3D V4! I really hope the sooner that the older platforms is left behind, the better. The reason I say this, is because developing, supporting and having to maintain ALL 5 platforms (FSX, FSX:SE, Prepar3D 1.X, Prepar3D 2.X and Prepar3D 3.X) is simply just impossible. I'm quite relieved that (some) developers are 'taking a stand' and cutting older 32-bit platforms, and focusing on the new. 
That can only mean better and more optimized addons, incorporated with the newest techniques. And developers won't have to take precious time of having to backport and strip features off new developments, simply so it can fit within the limits of an older and less efficient platform/SDK. 
I think simmers should move to Prepar3D V4, as many as possible - and as fast as possible. Simply just leave the old legacy platforms behind. The reason is that it would send a message to the developers who's still choosing to develop for these platforms. The sooner users move, the sooner we can move on. It's inefficient to support multiple platforms.
If simmers still should choose to stay - then all the power to you! Just don't come crying and fill the forums with complaints, that the newest aircraft or scenery isn't being developed for your old platform.

This is just my personal opinion!!! There's NO need to get WORKED UP, or start being defensive and angry about this! PLEASE. 

That was my 2 cents. 
Now, I'm sure you've already got the fire lit up, and are getting ready to burn me at the stake!

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I will not be switching to P3D v4 until all of my existing addons work (without excessive amounts of messing about with XML files and other crap), and also when I purchase a new PC (so that I have the GPU power to run it properly).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If you buy a new car which is driving better will you keep your old one with it's limitations... ?

:happy:

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 minute ago, GSalden said:

If you buy a new car which is driving better will you keep your old one with it's limitations... ?

Good analogy! Well put, Gerard.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

22 minutes ago, GSalden said:

However, there are new car buyers that must upgrade every 3 years to the latest model. This is a good move

However there are many that will keep the car they love and know for 10 plus years. Why?

1. price

2. nothing wrong with the old one ,why should I upgrade?

Plenty of room on the road for both!!

ZORAN

6 minutes ago, Venturi said:

However, there are new car buyers that must upgrade every 3 years to the latest model. This is a good move

However there are many that will keep the car they love and know for 10 plus years. Why?

1. price

2. nothing wrong with the old one ,why should I upgrade?

Plenty of room on the road for both!!

And if the new one with it's better performance is costing the same as the older one several years earlier ?

Surely, you can drive an older car, but what would you do if no newer parts ( scenery ) are going to be made and you are getting dependent on the current stock , which is aging ?

And the new car can take more load ( more detailed scenery ) without issues ( read : VAS )..

:gaul:

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

But if your new car has a max speed of only 40mph compared to your old car with a max speed of 100mph would you switch? Concorde analogy. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But if your new car has a max speed of only 40mph compared to your old car with a max speed of 100mph would you switch? Concorde analogy. :wink:

What exactly are you saying???
Are you claiming, that FSX/Prepar3D V3 is more than twice as fast as Prepar3D V4? :blink:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

19 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hahaha, flying through the soundbarriere has had it's influence on you Ray. Or you need to re-allign your own internal IRS.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/fcjxp3.jpg

13 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

What exactly are you saying???
Are you claiming, that FSX/Prepar3D V3 is more than twice as fast as Prepar3D V4? :blink:

The clue was in reference to Concorde. If FS Labs don't convert it to 64-bit it can't be flown in v4 and the max speed of Boeings and Airbuses is Mach 0.86. Concorde was 2.5 times faster at Mach 2.0.

Nothing to do with fps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather