N1G

Where are the big 3rd party Aircraft Developers?

Recommended Posts

Just wondering when the big guys going to get serious about GA aircraft for XP?

I am sure so many of us would jump just like we did with the other Sims we were in so deeply. They are sure doing it for FSX/P3D.

Anyone know why this has not happened yet? 

Bob

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

a2a has not said anything recently. in the past they said they are not interested. who else would you put in that list. 

i always thought that apart from maybe A2A there is not really something missing in the GA section on XP. And even there with airfoillabs and the REP packages, there are numerous contenders that get quite close to them. 

Its tubeliner that is missing something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With "big" devs you mean "big" devs in the ESP community, right? XP has its own dev scene, that has some overlaps with the ESP based sims, but most high-quality addons are from XP exclusive devs. So in a sense, the big devs are already there, they just have different names like Airfoillabs, Aerobask, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, alpha12125 said:

a2a has not said anything recently. in the past they said they are not interested. who else would you put in that list. 

i always thought that apart from maybe A2A there is not really something missing in the GA section on XP. And even there with airfoillabs and the REP packages, there are numerous contenders that get quite close to them. 

Its tubeliner that is missing something. 

When you look at Carenado, and although some of the 10 versions do work but do have issues, some of them I can't live with, but they only have 1 or 2 of their huge inventory that are truly xp11 models. They are hard at work for the p3d conversions, but wish they would devote a little more time to xp11. I have been a huge supporter of Carenado, and I am literally spoiled big time by their products. Yes A2A would be super to have. Just all moving too slow for me. 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, domae001 said:

With "big" devs you mean "big" devs in the ESP community, right? XP has its own dev scene, that has some overlaps with the ESP based sims, but most high-quality addons are from XP exclusive devs. So in a sense, the big devs are already there, they just have different names like Airfoillabs, Aerobask, etc.

Yes I do have Aerobask and VflightAir, but I need my Carenado's. Sounds like an addiction yes?

 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N1G said:

When you look at Carenado, and although some of the 10 versions do work but do have issues, some of them I can't live with, but they only have 1 or 2 of their huge inventory that are truly xp11 models. They are hard at work for the p3d conversions, but wish they would devote a little more time to xp11. I have been a huge supporter of Carenado, and I am literally spoiled big time by their products.

With the line-up they have, I would consider Carenado to be one of the 'big' players in X-Plane already, even if their offerings are primarily ports. I'm pretty sure that they've stated plans to update most of their existing XP fleet to XP11 eventually.

Not sure how many other 'big guys' we're actually missing. It's more than likely that the absence of some of the established MSFS aircraft developers has given the existing XP developers more room to grow their skills, to the point where developers such as Aerobask, Dreamfoil, and vFlyteAir are producing aircraft that are every bit as good (or, in some aspects, better) than their counterparts in FSX/P3D.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, N1G said:

I am sure so many of us would jump just like we did with the other Sims we were in so deeply. 

I don't think you realize how many of us did jump during the XP10 run and XP11's run is bringing some serious advances and once VR is naatively implemented it's a wrap for me with the other sims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ohsirus said:

I don't think you realize how many of us did jump during the XP10 run and XP11's run is bringing some serious advances and once VR is naatively implemented it's a wrap for me with the other sims.

I meant "Jump on"  and get the latest Carenado offerings for xp11 (-:  

I'm with you, I jumped to xp as soon as I saw the night life. Of course there are many other reasons now that it has had time to mature.

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sad because I don't even get to fly my precious Twin Comanche and Panthera and Eclipse jet - were moving and my PC is down for a month :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha Ha, I'm flying Eclipse right now Ryan. Just think how happy you will be after a month, and you sit down and load it up! No whining  :biggrin:

Bob

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the usual problem. It is much easier to port an airport or a scenery and even there more and more companies ask specialists to port their scenery.

If you want to talk about planes, you more or less ask for a different staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jimmy RFR said:

With the line-up they have, I would consider Carenado to be one of the 'big' players in X-Plane already, even if their offerings are primarily ports. I'm pretty sure that they've stated plans to update most of their existing XP fleet to XP11 eventually.

Not sure how many other 'big guys' we're actually missing. It's more than likely that the absence of some of the established MSFS aircraft developers has given the existing XP developers more room to grow their skills, to the point where developers such as Aerobask, Dreamfoil, and vFlyteAir are producing aircraft that are every bit as good (or, in some aspects, better) than their counterparts in FSX/P3D.

Couldn't agree more.

A2A, PMDG and some (few, actually) others could provide something on top of the best X-Plane offerings at the moment. But seeing what those (and other) X-Plane dedicated devs have achieved and how they get better and better with each release, we will probably not need them join the X-Plane train sooner or later.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't enjoy an A2A Cessna, a PMDG 747 or the Majestic Dash in X-Plane, and having more choices is always a good thing. But I don't really miss anything right now.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mgeiss said:

A2A, PMDG and some (few, actually) others could provide something on top of the best X-Plane offerings at the moment. But seeing what those (and other) X-Plane dedicated devs have achieved and how they get better and better with each release, we will probably not need them join the X-Plane train sooner or later.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't enjoy an A2A Cessna, a PMDG 747 or the Majestic Dash in X-Plane, and having more choices is always a good thing. But I don't really miss anything right now.

Actually, the area where I find myself missing stuff is not in the area of GA at all - I find there's nowhere's near the choice of military jets available in XP, certainly not quite at the same level as what's available in MSFS. I'd certainly love some of the MilViz jets (disclaimer: I've been a part of MV for a few years, so am slightly biased), or my beloved VRS Superbug, or the Aerosoft F-14, or any / all of Dino's creations to be available in XP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think  the reason for big players such as pmdg etc  not making so many xplane models is

can they break even with the amount of development hours required

with fsx and p3d there such a massive customer following 

new FSX /  P3D aircraft sell like hot cakes !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2017 at 11:21 AM, N1G said:

Yes I do have Aerobask and VflightAir, but I need my Carenado's. Sounds like an addiction yes?

 

Bob

Give them times.  The work that Carenado did to convert their P3D to V4 is nothing compared to what they (Dan K.) have to do to really use XP11.  The REP planes like F33A and B58 will probably be next, and we can use the REP package to get really close to A2A type of sim.  I am happy flying the Aerobask planes right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, harry251 said:

new FSX /  P3D aircraft sell like hot cakes !!!

Old ones converted, not new.  There are  many fsx-ers going to P3D and these cakes do sell to them.  XP11 future is bright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anxu00 said:

Give them times.  The work that Carenado did to convert their P3D to V4 is nothing compared to what they (Dan K.) have to do to really use XP11.  The REP planes like F33A and B58 will probably be next, and we can use the REP package to get really close to A2A type of sim.  I am happy flying the Aerobask planes right now.

From what I've heard, Carenado is prioritizing the turboprops for v11 conversion, since that's where the major engine model changes are. That's why the B1900D is the first of the v10 planes released in v11 version (aside from those already released after announcement like the piston Aero Commander).

I think the Cessna 208b Caravan is up next, followed by the other turboprops. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a v11 PC-12 before long. My v10 model flies in v11, but only after some planemaker tweaks and it's still not right. The new "breathing" turboprop model is apparently a Big Deal in XP11, which is one reason Carenado decided to charge full price for the v11 versions.

After the turboprops, Dan said they'll do conversions based on how popular the piston models are (i.e. sales), and I would expect the planes with REP packages would probably be at the top of the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paraffin said:

 

After the turboprops, Dan said they'll do conversions based on how popular the piston models are (i.e. sales), and I would expect the planes with REP packages would probably be at the top of the list.

Not quite. I think they will then concentrate on their G1000 planes, since they will be in stiff competition when X-Plane 11.10 is available. Later they will probably get the Default G1000 if wanted.

For PMDG and A2A the real problem is more: How can we develop a plane under X-Plane that is as good as our FSX offerings.and is up to date according to X-Plane standards. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's work and I am not really complaining, just anxious. This sim looks so good along with ortho and weather, and is performing well, but again what's missing for me are my favorites like the 337. 

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Longranger said:

Not quite. I think they will then concentrate on their G1000 planes, since they will be in stiff competition when X-Plane 11.10 is available. Later they will probably get the Default G1000 if wanted.

For PMDG and A2A the real problem is more: How can we develop a plane under X-Plane that is as good as our FSX offerings.and is up to date according to X-Plane standards. .

I thought Dan said Carenado was taking a wait-and-see approach to the G1000, since it wouldn't make sense to duplicate the effort with a default G1000 on the way in XP11?

I could be wrong about that. They need it anyway for the FSX market, but they can't afford to have a proprietary G1000 that isn't as good as the one coming from Laminar. I guess we'll see before long.

Agreed about PMDG and A2A. Although, I don't think PMDG went to all that effort with the exploratory DC-6 for nothing. They may have a framework now for parallel development of new models, even if the existing ones can't be easily converted. My guess is that PMDG will get here eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

I

I could be wrong about that. They need it anyway for the FSX market, but they can't afford to have a proprietary G1000 that isn't as good as the one coming from Laminar. I guess we'll see before long.

You can´t really reuse code. Carenado for X-Plane was in fact Dan Klaue who used the basic 3D Model and Sound resources to recreate the planes in X-Plane. That´s the problem.

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Agreed about PMDG and A2A. Although, I don't think PMDG went to all that effort with the exploratory DC-6 for nothing. They may have a framework now for parallel development of new models, even if the existing ones can't be easily converted. My guess is that PMDG will get here eventually. 

Sure. PMDG wants to get there. But if we are truthfull, the DC-6 was about one year behind the market. It isn´t easy to keep their tool park up to date to move with X-Planes continously development. It isn´t easy to even compete with FlightFactor or IXEG in this manner. But in a way they have to be the first.

A2A has the same problem AccuSim and AccuFeel were developed over years. It won´t be a conversion but in many areas a recreation and it will cost as much..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2017 at 2:25 AM, Anxu00 said:

Old ones converted, not new.  There are  many fsx-ers going to P3D and these cakes do sell to them.  XP11 future is bright.

Unless you have access to sales figures, you comment is pure BS. But kudos for towing the party line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jenxy said:

Unless you have access to sales figures, you comment is pure BS.

There are several hints that point to a shift of market share towards X-Plane since the release of v11 though.

In the last 9 months, the combined strength of FSX and P3D on Google Trends went down from 77 to 64, the strength of X-Plane went up from 25 to 32:

RPN2Xme.jpg

In the month from 21 June to 22 July 2016, Google finds 5240 P3D videos and 3730 X-Plane videos.

One year later, in the last month, the numbers are 5270 for P3D and 6720 for X-Plane:

1mpDpDO.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Murmur said:

There are several hints that point to a shift of market share towards X-Plane since the release of v11 though.

Not trying to "tow the party line" here, because I think each sim ultimately stands on its own merits, but there is another indication I've seen of increasing numbers of XP users, and that's in the FSEconomy game.

XP has been supported for years, but users have always been a small minority among the MSFS sim users. After XP11 beta came out, there's been an increase in new XP users in the FSE forum. Mostly people previously using FS9, FSX, or (unofficially) P3D. No hard data on the increase, and we're still probably somewhere around 20-25% of FSE users compared to the MSFS-derived sims. But there's a definite uptick lately.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we really want PMDG with their foul mouthed abuse of their customers?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now