allisnotwells

PMDG Operations Center did not install with NGX

Hi, I recently purchased the base package of the NGX for Prepar3d v4. The Plane works great in sim with the house livery, but the operations center seems to have failed to install. The folder is there in C:\Program Files (x86)\PMDG Operations Center but the only files in it are the OpsCenterUpdater.exe, PMDG_Icon.ico, and PMDG-OC-Manual.pdf. I ran both the updater and reran the installer to no avail. I sware I'm missing something but can't find it or the shortcut to it anywhere. help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam Wells

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

2 hours ago, allisnotwells said:

Hi, I recently purchased the base package of the NGX for Prepar3d v4. The Plane works great in sim with the house livery, but the operations center seems to have failed to install. The folder is there in C:\Program Files (x86)\PMDG Operations Center but the only files in it are the OpsCenterUpdater.exe, PMDG_Icon.ico, and PMDG-OC-Manual.pdf. I ran both the updater and reran the installer to no avail. I sware I'm missing something but can't find it or the shortcut to it anywhere. help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam Wells

Did you run the updater as admin and with antivirus disabled? When you installed the NGX, did you do the same?

7 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

Did you run the updater as admin and with antivirus disabled? When you installed the NGX, did you do the same?

I did to both. I only have the default Windows 10 Defender anti-virus which i disable for both the updater and the installer. still no luck.

Adam Wells

5 hours ago, allisnotwells said:

I did to both. I only have the default Windows 10 Defender anti-virus which i disable for both the updater and the installer. still no luck.

Adam Wells

You sure? Something has to have removed it, and/or is continuing to block it. Windows default stuff leaves it alone, from what I've seen. No other programs AV? Spyware stuff? Odd browsers? Etc?

Can you reach our website at www.precisionmanuals.com?

I had the same problem with the 777.

I had to copy the Operations Center directory out of the C drive (boot drive) to another drive, run the Operations Center updater with admin rights which updated itself and downloaded all the files. I then copied it back to the C drive original location, finally managed to get it to install and update itself, but would not update the aircraft, finally fixed after I contacted PMDG, they suggested ....

1. Go to Control Panel/Internet Options, then the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the very bottom of the list of settings.

2. Ensure that Use TLS 1.2 is selected on (which was), and all the others are selected OFF.

I deselected the others, and it connected and worked for me.

Andy Marrs

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

You sure? Something has to have removed it, and/or is continuing to block it. Windows default stuff leaves it alone, from what I've seen. No other programs AV? Spyware stuff? Odd browsers? Etc?

Can you reach our website at www.precisionmanuals.com?

Yeah it's odd. this is a completely fresh install of windows 10. no other software on it except for flight sim stuff. I also tried disabling windows defender and windows firewall. still no luck. 

Adam Wells

37 minutes ago, andym001 said:

I had the same problem with the 777.

I had to copy the Operations Center directory out of the C drive (boot drive) to another drive, run the Operations Center updater with admin rights which updated itself and downloaded all the files. I then copied it back to the C drive original location, finally managed to get it to install and update itself, but would not update the aircraft, finally fixed after I contacted PMDG, they suggested ....

1. Go to Control Panel/Internet Options, then the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the very bottom of the list of settings.

2. Ensure that Use TLS 1.2 is selected on (which was), and all the others are selected OFF.

I deselected the others, and it connected and worked for me.

Andy Marrs

Tried this too, still no luck. I'm baffled. 

Have tried all of the above on my three P3Dv4 products with no luck.

Only three files in program files as per OP.

Tried running OC and it times out after a few seconds.

AV off and have made fresh downloads of my software to ensure it's up to date.

Used OC in earlier versions and never had a problem.

Mark Lindley.

I think there are three now with the same problem, yet no one answered Kyle's question,  "can you reach the PMDG website?"

Either an AV program is removing the OC, or something is blocking its communications.  There are not many other possibilities, at least in consideration of the total number working without problem.

1 hour ago, downscc said:

I think there are three now with the same problem, yet no one answered Kyle's question,  "can you reach the PMDG website?"

Either an AV program is removing the OC, or something is blocking its communications.  There are not many other possibilities, at least in consideration of the total number working without problem.

Yes, I can reach the website just fine. I re-downloaded the setup file today just to make sure that I have the most up to date installer.

Things I've tried:
Right click, run as administrator
Disabled Microsoft Windows Defender Antivirus
Disabled Windows Firewall
Disabled all but TLS 1.2 in Internet Options (suggested by forum post)
Disabled my router firewall
Moved the Operations Center folder out of Programs (x86) to Desktop and ran as Administrator from there. 
Uninstalled and reinstalled the Aircraft using the latest installer. 

Still no Operations Center. I get the Connecting to server splash screen on the updater but the progress bar never fills and the screen disappears after about a second.

Thanks for helping to troubleshoot!

Adam Wells

38 minutes ago, allisnotwells said:

Yes, I can reach the website just fine. I re-downloaded the setup file today just to make sure that I have the most up to date installer.

Things I've tried:
Right click, run as administrator
Disabled Microsoft Windows Defender Antivirus
Disabled Windows Firewall
Disabled all but TLS 1.2 in Internet Options (suggested by forum post)
Disabled my router firewall
Moved the Operations Center folder out of Programs (x86) to Desktop and ran as Administrator from there. 
Uninstalled and reinstalled the Aircraft using the latest installer. 

Still no Operations Center. I get the Connecting to server splash screen on the updater but the progress bar never fills and the screen disappears after about a second.

Thanks for helping to troubleshoot!

Adam Wells

This is exactly what I had and did, it only worked after I copied the Op folder to another drive, away from the boot drive, and run the updater.

Andy Marrs

1 minute ago, andym001 said:

This is exactly what I had and did, it only worked after I copied the Op folder to another drive, away from the boot drive, and run the updater.

Andy Marrs

If it only worked on a complete separate drive, then your permissions for the C drive must be screwed up

20 minutes ago, andym001 said:

Andy Marrs

Tried that too, still no luck.

Adam Wells 

I just upgraded to P3D v4 and installing my airplanes and not seeing the op center in the programs menu as well. I did disable my windows defender and firewall but still no luck. Is there something I am missing?

4 minutes ago, Best said:

I just upgraded to P3D v4 and installing my airplanes and not seeing the op center in the programs menu as well. I did disable my windows defender and firewall but still no luck. Is there something I am missing?

Did you try finding it in the C drive program files?

4 minutes ago, Best said:

So that makes at least 5 of us now with fresh installs that are having this problem. Seems like something is up. 

Adam Wells

3 minutes ago, allisnotwells said:

So that makes at least 5 of us now with fresh installs that are having this problem. Seems like something is up. 

Adam Wells

Not really, because for the 5 people who are having problems, there are hundreds who are not having problems. There's clearly something specific to your systems that is causing this to not work. The updater only will not connect to the server if it's being blocked. The files will only not appear if something is deleting them.

Hundreds, try thousands.  The OC is used by all products so the user base is wider than any one product.  Once again, if the OC files are missing something removed them.  If the files are there but they do not communicate with their server then the communications is being blocked.  The best thing to do, after uninstalling any AV program except Windows Defender (not just turn off but uninstall, all AV programs have modules that load during boot... its the only way they can work effectively), is to submit a trouble ticket to PMDG Product Support.  Once in a while those support tickets will help reveal something like problems with Amazon cloud in West China.

Thanks, I submitted a ticket a few days ago, so far they don't have any suggestions that haven't already been tried here. I'll reiterate that at least in my case, this is a completely fresh install of Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition with no other software besides Prepar3d v4 and PMDG NGX. I've disabled the built in Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and directly connected my computer to my cable modem, bypassing my router. This is as open a connection as you can get. If the connection is being blocked, it's either failing on the server side, or Comcast is blocking it on the ISP side.

As this is a fresh install, it's possible I'm missing a required runtime library that's not prompted for by the installer. Anyone know which libraries (java, old versions of Visual Studio, etc) are required for the updater to work?

My thanks to everyone who's trying to help!

3 hours ago, allisnotwells said:

As this is a fresh install, it's possible I'm missing a required runtime library that's not prompted for by the installer.

The same VS2015 C++ runtime modules as required by P3D..., the PMDG products are compiled with VS2015 which is what LM recommends for compliance with their SDK. The PMDG installer ensures the runtime modules are available during the installation.

Reinstalling Windows cannot solve the problem, and may introduce more problems.  Seems pretty drastic, when the OS is not the problem. Is your problem still that same as originally posted, ie the OC files are missing after installation? 

I had the same problems which went away when I disabled "Internet Protocol V6" in my adapter settings.

21 minutes ago, downscc said:

The same VS2015 C++ runtime modules as required by P3D..., the PMDG products are compiled with VS2015 which is what LM recommends for compliance with their SDK. The PMDG installer ensures the runtime modules are available during the installation.

Reinstalling Windows cannot solve the problem, and may introduce more problems.  Seems pretty drastic, when the OS is not the problem. Is your problem still that same as originally posted, ie the OC files are missing after installation? 

Thanks, I verified that VS2015 is installed and working. I reinstalled windows before I purchased Prepar3d v4 or the PMDG NGX. That wasn't to address any issues, just getting a fresh start with a new machine. And yes, the problem is as originally stated- I was able to download, install, activate and run the NGX with the house livery in Prepar3d v4 without issue. The aircraft itself works great.

I just can't get the Operations Center to install. The Operations Center Updater is present but fails to install the Operations Center itself. When running the update, I see the 'Connecting to Server' screen, the bar never fills, and then disappears after about two seconds. 

4 minutes ago, allisnotwells said:

I just can't get the Operations Center to install. The Operations Center Updater is present but fails to install the Operations Center itself. When running the update, I see the 'Connecting to Server' screen, the bar never fills, and then disappears after about two seconds. 

The NGX installs the OC, you shouldn't have to run the updater. The fact that the OC files are missing points to an AV software doing that.  Also, it is the AV that is blocking the updater from doing its job.  Be sure to open the control panel remove programs list and look for anything that looks like an AV program.

4 minutes ago, downscc said:

The NGX installs the OC, you shouldn't have to run the updater. The fact that the OC files are missing points to an AV software doing that.  Also, it is the AV that is blocking the updater from doing its job.  Be sure to open the control panel remove programs list and look for anything that looks like an AV program.

Thanks again, there is no other antivirus installed besides the default Windows Defender which I disabled prior to installing the NGX. 

1 minute ago, allisnotwells said:

Thanks again, there is no other antivirus installed beside the default Windows Defender which I disabled prior to installing the NGX. 

So what is deleting those files?