newtie

Envtex question

Recommended Posts

Hi all-

Just installed and have a question. Does Envtex need to be running all the time? Docs are not clear in this regard and I can't get into the support forum even tho' successfully registered.

 

Thanks
Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No, just save your settings and install your texture sets. Than close program.

Share this post


Link to post

Right - I'm using it and it's very nice.  One thing that I liked better about Rex Texture Direct which I used for version 3 is that it injects textures before you fly based on current weather conditions.  I'm hoping that Envtex will be able to add that eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

Right - I'm using it and it's very nice.  One thing that I liked better about Rex Texture Direct which I used for version 3 is that it injects textures before you fly based on current weather conditions.  I'm hoping that Envtex will be able to add that eventually.

ASCA does that for you and it works perfectly with ENVTEX textures.

Eventually REX Sky Force 3D is going to come out which will be the whole package in REX quality! :)

Share this post


Link to post

You should use ASCA rather than their cloud textures which I do not like at all. Very cartoonish.

Share this post


Link to post

The latest Envtex injects sky textures in concert with ASCA based on time, wx etc.

Its an option selectable in prefs.

Share this post


Link to post

let's clarify a bit - Envtex doesn't inject anything into the sim, it makes the textures available to ASCA and ASCA injects them into the sim. They work very well together.

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post

Vic,

Good clarification, which also circles all the way back to the OP.  My understanding was that in order for ENVTEX cloud textures to be available to ASCA, ENVTEX does have to be open and running (or at least minimized) alongside ASP4/ASCA.  I thought I saw that in a forum post over there somewhere.

Or is that an incorrect conclusion on my part?  (Wouldn't be the first...)

Kevin  

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Kevlar01 said:

Vic,

Good clarification, which also circles all the way back to the OP.  My understanding was that in order for ENVTEX cloud textures to be available to ASCA, ENVTEX does have to be open and running (or at least minimized) alongside ASP4/ASCA.  I thought I saw that in a forum post over there somewhere.

Or is that an incorrect conclusion on my part?  (Wouldn't be the first...)

Kevin  

You are incorrect, it does not have to stay running.  A quick google search found the answer. 

http://togaprojects.proboards.com/thread/84/running-envtex-asca

 

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Kevlar01 said:

Vic,

Good clarification, which also circles all the way back to the OP.  My understanding was that in order for ENVTEX cloud textures to be available to ASCA, ENVTEX does have to be open and running (or at least minimized) alongside ASP4/ASCA.  I thought I saw that in a forum post over there somewhere.

Or is that an incorrect conclusion on my part?  (Wouldn't be the first...)

Kevin  

This goes to my original question; the docs say, or seem to imply, that ET should be used to open P3D and it will minimize, and run, after doing so. It doesn't say this is required or just a convenience.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, newtie said:

This goes to my original question; the docs say, or seem to imply, that ET should be used to open P3D and it will minimize, and run, after doing so. It doesn't say this is required or just a convenience.

Read my post above. Select what you like, install, and close. That's it.  ASP4/ASCA will do all the rest. 

Share this post


Link to post

Actually the 'answer' referenced above looks like it's from another customer, not the developers themselves.  It may in fact be true anyway; just saying it still leaves some doubt at least to me.

Newtie - We've probably confused you totally by now.  I agree with with all the others that for most of the textures (sky, sun, water, airport, grass, etc.) all you have to do is run ENVTEX, inject the textures into your sim folders, and then you can close it.  That's even true for clouds if you only want to use ENVTEX clouds; once they've been injected you don't need ENVTEX to be running.

My only point of question concerns the ASCA/ENVTEX integration operation when ASCA is set to Full Dynamics or Global Automatic mode, where it selects various textures from it's library based on the weather as the flight progresses.  There's nothing in the ASCA config panel to connect it to ENVTEX, so if ENVTEX is shut down I'm not sure why ASCA would go looking for cloud textures from those folders when it does a dynamic update during a flight.  For that to work it seems like ENVTEX would have to copy all of it's cloud textures into the ASCA folders.  

Kevin 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Kevlar01 said:

For that to work it seems like ENVTEX would have to copy all of it's cloud textures into the ASCA folders.  

Kevin 

And that's exactly what it does! When setting up ENVTEX, IF you select the option to integrate with ASCA, it will install all the textures where ASCA can load them. No need to have ENVTEX running I have been using this combo for awhile now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Can someone confirm is envtex is v4 compatible ?  ive been thinking of buying it

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now