Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

What is happening with payware?

Hi,The reason is plain and simple,....;-)Some addon developers makes us all beleive that they are developing addons as a full time responsible job. While the truth instead is, that some of them are doing it as a hobby, developing at their spare time,...if they feel like it. :-hahhttp://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gif

Staffan

And this, precisely, is the problem: they treat it as a hobby, but CHARGE people for the product. Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways: if you charge, you should be held to the same standards as every other business. Because simmers are a patient lot, ready to rain down praise at a moment's notice (e.g., somebody posts a shot of some prerendered, yet to see the light of day addon, and everybody treats it like they've just been handed the crown jewels), many addon developers think they can drag their feet. Recent case in point: the 777 from PSS.ricardo

>Many addon developers make us all think that they are>developing addons full time. While the truth instead is that>most of them have it as hobby, developing at their spare>time,...if they feel like it. :-hahSo??Personally as someone that has done plenty of freeware and does commercial work for a few other games/sims, I can totally understand NOT having the try before you buy. Hardcore FS buyers are a niche group and the numbers sold are not that great compared to the other products you mention. Many would just try it and after a few tries, probably move on to another addon, as I have done with several I have paid for.While I have a few that I really don't use anymore, I have never asked for my money back as they have other products I enjoy and I view this as supporting the developer and not being a whiner.There is more than enough info on the websites, the forums and from reviews to help make an educated buying decision usually, if you get burned, it's your own fault.I fail to see what so many in this community complain to try to make payware vendors conform to their rules, when all you have to do is act with your money. I have 2 individual vendors I don't care for and will never buy their products, no matter how good they are - and I am very content with that.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

>>>Many addon developers make us all think that they are>>developing addons full time. While the truth instead is that>>most of them have it as hobby, developing at their spare>>time,...if they feel like it. :-hah>>So??Hi,I was refering to the horrendous addon price tag trend. ;-)http://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gif

Staffan

Exactly, I couldn't have put it better myself.If it's just a hobby, then don't charge for it. If it's a business then they should expect to be help up to the same standards.Imagine you went to McDonald's and ordered a cheeseburger. When you've handed over your money they give you a cheeseburger without any cheese. The guy serving you says you'll get the cheese later on. Obviously disgusted at such bad service you start yelling at the guy who served you. Then some self righteous McD's a really excited user standing in the queue behind you taps you on the shoulder and tells you to be grateful you even got a burger in a bun.Some would have us believe commercial addons for FS are a niche market and very little money is to be made from them. If that's the case why have we seen such an explosion of payware for FS in recent years? There's a pretty penny to be made from this hobby and lots of people are jumping on the bandwagon. Some of these guys are producing superb addons and deserve to be successful. Others are knowingly releasing unfinished and buggy products.The payware bubble will burst sooner or later, I just hope we don't lose the good developers in the fall out.

These constant bad experiences will lead to more and more piracy as people become more and more disillusioned with the high cost of add-ons that don

Wow... *:-* I didn't think many of you guys were still this clueless... The newbee's have an excuse but the rest of you don't...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guys none of you know for sure who is doing what and for what reason. None of you know who is doing this as a business or a hobby. Unless you know people personally you're comments aren't standing on any ground.Facts as to some who are doing this as a business:DreamFleetPMDGSimMarketFlight1EaglesoftFSDI have personnel friends who are either retired or do this to supplement their income. Nobody is getting rich here and in the whole scheme of things these guys are actually under paid.All you guys complaining about prices try this list on for size and see if you wouldn

FS2020 

I think the add-on industry has lost the goodwill factor by the ever increasing asking price. Giving someone $ 20,- for his hard work and invested time is different from giving someone $ 50,-Somewhere along the way there is a pricepoint crossed that causes my expectation to win it from my goodwill. I expect something extra to be done in order to compensate for the higher price. With me lots of other buyers have the same expectations. But the problem is that if you get 100 add-on addicts together you will have 100 different oppinions on what needs to be improved.There is also another trend towards 100% aircraft systems simulation in the add-ons. So you get add-ons that have one guy doing the jobs of 3 men in the cockpit. What are we simulating here? Is the crew ill due to food poisoning and am I a lonely cab driver ex WW2 fighterpilot that has to land this thing? (at least he had his girlfriend to help him)Now the ultra system fans are judging every new add-on by this new standard. Do they honestly think that we all want to have the workload of 2 to 3 people and want to change the lightbulb in the pantry by ourself when it burns out?Funny thing here. I have two ATR 72's in my add-on hangar. The old Eurowings 2004 and the new Flight 1 version. They are even made by the same development team. Sure the Flight 1 version is technicaly much beter but still the Eurowings 2004 version gives me so much more fun to fly.The biggest difference lies in the fact that the Eurowings ATR has 1 2d panel that I hardly have to leave during the flight. The Flight1 version has me clicking like a wild man switching from Auto pilot to Pilot view back to instrument view. The technicaly perfect Flight1 ATR increases my workload so I have less time to enjoy my flight.To me the higer prices makes me loose my goodwill and the increasing ultra system simulation craze makes me losse my fun.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

"I think the add-on industry has lost the goodwill factor by the ever increasing asking price."And I think you need to get in the game to know what your talking about... :-boom

FS2020 

Guest dpc

I don't know who you are buying your payware from but I could not disagree with you more. Not all software quality is the same as goes with addons for FS. A little research before buying is prudent. The trend of upward pricing only makes sense. As a whole, good addons are more complex than they were when FS9 first came out. Been the case in other versions as well. Do you really expect to get a full FMC sim for free? Very detailed scenery packages that take scores of hours to produce, for free? AND I always just love the statement about addons costing more than the FS9 itself. By that reasoning, nothing should cost more than Windows. Think of FS9 as the operating system for flight simulation. Like Windows, you get basic functionality and some tools etc. But if you want something better than notepad to write with, you buy an addon. I bought Office. It cost more than Windows.If you want a basic plane and basic scenery, you don't need to buy anything. If you want more, who are you to think you should get it for free? Fortunately there are plenty of good free addons. But, just because there are, it should not preclude anyone from earning something for providing a product. Their choice, not yours. Your choice is to buy or not.Many business ventures start out as hobbies. FS is just another one of them. And think about this - in real life, some people make money flying airplanes and some people pay to fly real airplanes. Now, how fair is that?! :7 -dave

>Well Randy,...>>With all due respect, I really think you should think twice>before you post such a lame and uncalled responce. ;-)>>IMHO, I think he got a point here...:-)>>>http://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gif>> Is this the pot calling the kettle black? Speaking of "high priced" add-ons (In fact the most expensive aircraft EVER) Staffan, you SURE seem to LOVE Ariane's 737 vc2 and never mentioned a word about it's pricing! I bet this is also the reason for your nonsensical replys to all my posts. Please do not pretend to DICTATE how and to whom I can reply to on this forum, just who are you to tell anyone how to reply pal?...............Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

and here come the fan boys.Why do you find this statement ridiculous? Once burnt some may make their own "try before buying" plans before shelling out their hard earned cash.--qnh>These constant bad experiences will lead to more and more>piracy as people become more and more disillusioned with the>high cost of add-ons that don

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg