Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Coffee Lake 8700k to offer an 11% jump in single core and 51% jump in multithread

Here is an example of 8700K overclock (including some BIOS settings), from der8auer (in German but you will get the point).

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

21 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Why does Intel insist on unnecessarily limiting their CPUs with poor TIM?

My guess would be cost.  If you save $1 per chip, multiplied by one million chips sold, then you have added $1 million to your bottom line.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

2 hours ago, stans said:

My guess would be cost.  If you save $1 per chip, multiplied by one million chips sold, then you have added $1 million to your bottom line.

That was probably a valid business model when they didn't have any competition. With the advent of Ryzen, saving an almost insignificant amount on each processor doesn't add up when compared to the number of possible sales lost (even if it's quite small).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel need only do what is necessary to hit their advertised performance numbers for any specific CPU.  Anything above that is on us... which is where delidding and aftermarket cooling come in.  Their strategy is good business... for them and their shareholders.  Which is why they exist.

Greg

i don't see how it's good business to spend 380.00 on the 8700k and then have to take a chance at it no working because of a delid.i would like to buy the 8700k when it comes back in stock, but we shouldn't have to modify an already expensive product to get full performance.

I would honestly invest in a better cooling instead of doing a delid, at least on my side. Also in my case, for 7900X, lowering the voltage also helps. Also I still have to keep an eye on the overall power consumption of the system.

A full performance CPU comes always with some drawbacks.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

In Germany you can buy delidded CPUs with warranty. So this is what I would do. Why would Ibuy a 7900X for 1000€ and then give away performance due to bad thermal compound? But: Everyone as he wishes :-)

https://www.caseking.de/intel-core-i9-7900x-3-3-ghz-skylake-x-sockel-2066-delidded-tray-cpbu-140.html

Sure, only delidded and binned as well

On 10/9/2017 at 2:57 AM, stans said:

I don't think so, I think they are saving heat transfer efficiency as a trick they can pull out of the hat when they need to demonstrate higher clockspeeds but can't get there w/o using soldered IHS.   $1 is a tiny percentage of cost differential compared to the considerable increase in heat transfer afforded w/ solder IHS, or this is what I am led to believe on the topic of delidding.  IOW, Intel is intentionally limiting the performance they can get even as they shrink die size.  I predict at some point you will see them return to soldered IHS in order to meet perf standards.

I wish they would sell an E version of the 8700K w/o integrated graphics and w/ soldered IHS, like my 3930K which still works shockingly good after 5 years of near daily use at 4.42Ghz on air.  Instead they sell this nice racy chip that you can fry a small egg on!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 09/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, stans said:

It's actually way harder than many are aware, to solder an IHS to a die. It's quiet a technical challenge and even harder with modern chips.

The following may be an eye opener to some. 

It's not just about Intel trying to make a few more dollars.

https://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

It's actually way harder than many are aware, to solder an IHS to a die. It's quiet a technical challenge and even harder with modern chips.

The following may be an eye opener to some. 

It's not just about Intel trying to make a few more dollars.

https://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

Fair enough, and interesting.  That being said my 3930K was soldered by Intel at the factory and we all know by now how precise automated fabrication has become.  What we'd all love to see is simply this:  for all 'K' and 'X' variants, Intel should solder the IHS on and increase the price accordingly charge to cover costs to do this.  I'd gladly pay the freight for factory oem soldered IHS versus this nonsense w/ de-lidding.  For consumer grade CPUs use TIM.  Done!

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 16/10/2017 at 9:53 PM, Noel said:

Fair enough, and interesting.  That being said my 3930K was soldered by Intel at the factory and we all know by now how precise automated fabrication has become.  What we'd all love to see is simply this:  for all 'K' and 'X' variants, Intel should solder the IHS on and increase the price accordingly charge to cover costs to do this.  I'd gladly pay the freight for factory oem soldered IHS versus this nonsense w/ de-lidding.  For consumer grade CPUs use TIM.  Done!

On 16/10/2017 at 9:53 PM, Noel said:

Yep, fair enough Noel, I'd agree with that. I can see how, with smaller die CPU's, soldering is getting harder and harder and more expensive, but enthusiast CPU's deserve solder.  There are other factors of course, like environmental issues involved with the extraction of certain rare elements required. But yes, pretty much agree.

AMD of course are still soldering, and we can ask why AMD do but Intel don't. The latest AMD CPU's are physically bigger of course, not sure if that's relevant, probably not. 

This topic I just started may interest you, re Asus saying Z270 boards could be compatible with Coffee Lake but Intel won't let them...