HiFlyer

Train Sim World: Great Western Express - First Look

Just a heads up for those of us that have maybe forgotten that Trainsim World was even still out there! The release date has apparently been pushed back to sometime in september, but it's known it can be purchased separately or with the original TSW in a bundle. Available on preorder now.... http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/4027/Train_Sim_World_CSX_Heavy_Haul__Great_Western_Express_Pack/

It might even tempt me this time.......

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

34 minutes ago, vololiberista said:

Great Western Express without a Class 52 tut tut!!!

Well...... DTG.... DLC.......

We know how this goes. A class 52 will undoubtedly be offered, eventually.

So, how much track is actually available in the Great Western Pack? Will there be any branch lines? I can't seem to find a lot of information about it...

Pretty sharp, I feel like I am there.  Though the yellow fronts usually are much more dirty.

Someone on the JustFlight forum has stated that the Great Western Express addon pack only includes track from London Paddington to Reading. Is that correct? It's barely more than 40 miles!

I wonder if it will simulate the annoying drunkard in Coach C, complete with can of Carling, who was pestering me right from the moment the train left London last Wednesday evening? :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

One thing I wish for these train sims is that you could put it on autopilot, making it's stops as it goes, and go sit in the back.  I used to commute on train and, when the train isn't packed, can be nice to just sit there and let the train roll along...do some sight seeing.

I think that TrainSim World has a passenger option. Not much time to see anything though if there is only 40 miles of track :huh: Honestly, the full 120 miles from London Paddington to Bristol Temple Mead should be included as a minimum. It would be even better to have branch lines (like the one to Oxford), but I guess that is asking for quite a lot!

Nice to see the 66 in there for freight, since that is a very cool locomotive, but 40 miles of track doesn't seem a lot for passenger trains capable of 125 mph, you'd be down the entire route in 20 minutes. And in any case, GWR are replacing those HSTs with the much more cool-looking 180 Adelante this year, if they haven't already done so. They'd have been better offer doing the Virgin Pendolino from Piccadilly to Euston, it's a much better looking train with a better paint job too, then you really could get something up to 125mph for a couple of hours but also have slower stuff going to Stoke and Milton Keynes from either end of the route. 

Sept 15th Release stream, counting down to launch.

I might have been interested in this, but no way am I spending money for only 40 miles of track. It's ridiculous. Let me know when they have extended it to Bristol.

I am/was also slightly interested but well... the length of the route isn't much. In the video they have around 230 'scenario's' for one train but well, yeah, you will driving parts of the same route over and over again. They act as if there is a lot of content but there isn't, really. I also can't say I liked the apparently massively overhauled passenger system: they all look like depressed zombies and there only are a few models: at one moment there was a scene where you'd sit in the train (the passenger mode is nice btw) and I saw the same guy walk by three times in a row. That was a total immersion killer. It's also very odd to see just a few people in a huge station where you'd expect hundreds of people. And the way the moved... seriously. I also saw a guy dancing and spawning on the spot. Totally odd. Looked like game from 2007.

But well, then again... this might be nice to do a little hop as a driver once a week or so. Seeing the scenery pass by which is, I presume, lifelikfe for the entire route (?). Haven't checked out any prices though.

EDIT Oh, bummer, you need Heavy Haul in order to run this. I thought it was a stand alone package. I think I am out then. Maybe with a christmas sale.

Forty miles of track is nowhere near enough. I don't care how many "scenarios" there are.

Indeed. Given that an emergency stop from 125mph  is about 1.5 miles (quick & dirty google) That leaves 38.5 miles. How much distance is taken to get the train to 125 given maximum acceleration and no wheel slip I wonder? 2 miles 3 miles. I would hazard a guess that the train can decelerate quicker than it can accelerate... So 35 miles of express track..?  I know that's taking it to an extreme -  40 miles would be a good amount of track if you were driving and marshalling freight IMHO..

5 hours ago, J van E said:

EDIT Oh, bummer, you need Heavy Haul in order to run this. I thought it was a stand alone package. I think I am out then. Maybe with a christmas sale.

Well, they do have a twofer' sale going on with both titles together for $41...................................

Which is not too horrible for the length of track being offered.

In fact, since CSX heavy haul is normally $39, throwing in Northern for a total of $41 means they are pretty much giving Northern away.....

Northern by itself would normally be at least $16

12 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Well, they do have a twofer' sale going on with both titles together for $41...................................

Which is not too horrible for the length of track being offered.

In fact, since CSX heavy haul is normally $39, throwing in Northern Western for a total of $41 means they are pretty much giving Northern Western away.....

Northern Western by itself would normally be at least $16

I know, but some 40 bucks is just a bit too much for some 40 miles of track. :happy: Okay, you can run some +350 scenario's on it but it's the same track but then cut in pieces and run on different times. I think I get bored of that track pretty soon. Doing 100 scenario's that take 3 minutes each isn't my cup of tea, I think. And for that 40 bucks is a bit too much. Unless of course I happen to like that Haul part... but that doesn't really attract me right now.

A total of 350 scenarios/missions sounds good, but that InterCity 125 needs a much greater length of track than 40 miles to really stretch its legs, and that means the entire 120 miles from London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads.

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Northern?

Hey, I was really sleepy when I typed that. :blush:

4 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

And like High Bypass has already indicated, a locomotive like the InterCity 125 really needs a lot more track than 40 miles. The entire 120 miles from London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads is the only carrot that will attract this rabbit.

Neveh' gonna happen. :emu_melk:

At least not at a price people would be willing to pay.........

Bummer. Decided to buy it anyway. At checkout I got a message the price had changed while I added the game to my basket... It obviously had gone up. So I cancelled again. I was just a minute or so too late.