Sign in to follow this  
ukplane1

Carenado Saab 340 (S340) ?

Which one are you looking forward to the most?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you looking forward to the most?

• Carenado Fokker 50
    • Carenado S340

6 minutes ago, Chock said:

I would like to think if they are going to the trouble of tackling something more complex such as a big turboprop, they'd take the time to employ some devs who are a bit more au fait with simulating that kind of thing.

We all know Carenado/Alabeo models are stunning lookers, although even then they still have some stupid typos or mistakes on the textures on occasion, many of which are just indicative of sloppy work. Such as getting the RAAF roundel and registration wrong on their otherwise very nice PA-38, or putting 'Overdrive' on the cockpit placard of their (not very nice as far as engine modeling goes) C441 instead of 'Override' as it of course should be.

We also know that avionics and turboprop engine modeling are not among their finest abilities either, which should hardly come as a surprise when they seem to think the Cessna Conquest has Overdrive switches for its engines lol.

This is probably the main concern I'd have with them having a crack at a turboprop airliner, since it is one which as far as I'm aware, has a fairly uncommon turboprop engine, so the data performance might be a bit more thin on the ground for it than is the case with some more ubiquitous gas turbines. Avionics-wise, the SAAB 340 isn't stunningly complex, but it ain't no Cessna, and that's a concern too. Of course if it flies and looks nice, that might be enough for many, but how many remains to be seen.

I have zero faith that they will get anything right with this aircraft.  Or any aircraft for that matter.  They might be able to model a paper airplane properly but I even doubt that.  I wish people would stop buying this falsely advertised junk.  

Matt Wilson

31 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Happy to see Carenado Saab 340 is coming along!. Lots of people still seem to not understand the intended market of their products and are still blaming by saying their aircraft have poor avionics and systems, but that's the way they are!, so if that's important for you, simply don't buy them.

Cheers, Ed

Im not 'blaming' anything. Simply saying that they are hit and miss. Piper Navajo for me is a real hit. Some others......not so much. I believe I have had 2 'winners' and 3 'stinkers'. To be quite honest, around $37-40 USD for an addon shouldn't be carte blanche to create a visual model and not much else.

43 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I have zero faith that they will get anything right with this aircraft.  Or any aircraft for that matter.  They might be able to model a paper airplane properly but I even doubt that.  I wish people would stop buying this falsely advertised junk.  

I'm not sure it would be exactly that terrible. Airliners don't make very extreme manoeuvres, so it only has to hit the right numbers for a typical typical turboprop airliner and it'd be halfway there to being convincing at least in how it went through the air.

Not done that much of that myself, in fact it is years since I made an FS aeroplane of my own from scratch, but f I had to create a flight model for a SAAB 340, I'd find a similar aeroplane which had been modeled for FS, take a look at the air files for it and go with something similar in terms of values, using it as the basis for the settings I put in there, then tweak it until it hit the numbers for performance in the sim which are generally known. Then I'd throw it at someone who had piloted the real thing and tweak it some more based on their feedback. This is aerodynamics for sure, but it's not rocket science.

Nor is it exactly brain surgery to figure out as a process, so there's no real reason why they can't make it fly more or less right if they did something similar. And as far as avionics go for a comparatively simple airliner such as the 340 (let's be honest, it ain't no A350), many of them are just a skin job on already existent gauges to give it the right look. It's only the specific nav systems gauges of the real aeroplane and the behaviour of the turboprop engines which require actual genuinely original development work, so a lot of its creation is not the toughest job in the world to produce. Sure, it ain't five a minute job, but it's by no means unachievable if they get someone on board who knows what they are doing when it comes to modeling engines of that type.

Whether they will do that is another matter, but it's not impossible by any stretch if they really want to make something which has credibility with people who know the real aeroplane.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'd buy both.. A: to support our little community and B: because I too flew a 340b many years ago.

Dont forget the developer makes airplanes that you can just climb into a fly without the half hour setup, (preferred by many) then once you're in the cruise you spend your time admiring the graphics quality.

With that said now that they're moving toward developing larger commuter aircraft we may see more internal effort to match their cosmetic perfection.

They don't have to model the sweat that poured from my face during turn arounds in summer because we weren't allowed to use the prop brake. (No APU) Or the PAX being made sick from the cabin noise cancelling system that never work properly.

I never flew the F50 so I'm keen to buy this one just to have a play. Pilots loved it from what I've heard.

IM

2 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Im not 'blaming' anything. Simply saying that they are hit and miss. Piper Navajo for me is a real hit. Some others......not so much. I believe I have had 2 'winners' and 3 'stinkers'. To be quite honest, around $37-40 USD for an addon shouldn't be carte blanche to create a visual model and not much else.

Don't forget the Aero Commander (both the Shrike and the Turbo 690B). They're two real hits, at least for me!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

12 hours ago, edpatino said:

Lots of people still seem to not understand the intended market of their products and are still blaming by saying their aircraft have poor avionics and systems, but that's the way they are!, so if that's important for you, simply don't buy them.

Cheers, Ed

My complaints are nothing to do with not understanding the intended market, they are to do with sloppy work which does not get corrected, but instead gets ignored whilst they move on to banging out yet another product with the same problems, and then again, and again.

That's a very different issue to not getting where the products are aimed. I've got stacks of Virtualcol products which are aimed that way, and they don't look anywhere near as pretty as those from Carenado and Alabeo, but the systems they have do function properly, and their support does attend to any issues their products may exhibit, so they do hit what they are aiming at. That's why I've bought many of their products.

There is a big difference between simple and slapdash.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

16 hours ago, Blaze said:

PLEASE Carenado spend time on the systems and FDE.

Imagine a deserted midwest town...dirt roads....dust devils and rolling tumbleweed.

I think your request just landed up there.

• Upvote 5

OK Erick - hah - no matter your point of view - that was funny - nicely played - I had the visual...

:tongue:

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Do you think they'll need beta testers that hold the SF34 type rating? I could make sure they get things right! 

• Upvote 3

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hi Folks,

Nice Brendan - if only... 

While I'm repeating myself from an earlier post - any of Carenado's products that use Glass or FMC based navigation products - are incapable of doing a "Direct To"... That should give you some indication of the attention to detail they spend on systems functionality... Again - if you stick to their "steam gauge" product lines or those retrofitted with third party navigation products - there are some little gems out there and one's I thoroughly enjoy... 

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

If they're going to get into airliners, they really need to make their paint kits more approachable and/or create a litany of airline repaints.  There's not much point to an airliner if you can only fly it in a small handful of liveries.

• Upvote 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

If it has the ability to integrate the GTN 650 or 750 that would be fine....if it is coupled to the autopilot. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2017 at 1:12 PM, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

What's the nav source on a SAAB ? FMC ?

Regards,

Scott

It all depends on the date it was built. I know here in Boston, our pilots aren't certified on FMS, because none of our Saabs have them. But recently, we purchased a newer 340, and it's navigation is FMS based.

(I work for Peninsula Airways)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southwestairlinesdude said:

It all depends on the date it was built. I know here in Boston, our pilots aren't certified on FMS, because none of our Saabs have them. But recently, we purchased a newer 340, and it's navigation is FMS based.

(I work for Peninsula Airways)

Are you guys doing the PQI flights?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity