Sign in to follow this  
Cactus521

My first Xplane11 Photoreal Scenery

Recommended Posts

I created this scenery this morning, which roughly covers Maricopa County in Arizona, where I live.  It brings photoreal flight into Xplane for a world of adventure. A short flight out of Glendale Muni, just to give a taste of what OrthoXP4 can do.  It's nice having two sims which can do this, each sim has its own purpose and style.

John

Cessna_172SP_1.jpg
Cessna_172SP_2.jpg
Cessna_172SP_3.jpg
Cessna_172SP_4.jpg
Cessna_172SP_8.jpg
Cessna_172SP_9.jpg
Cessna_172SP_10.jpg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nice John, I've been thinking about getting X-Plane 11, been reading up on it. Do you run both X-Plane 11 and P3D on the same box? If so any types of conflicts with joy sticks or anything like that. I would keep both sims on different drives and my C: drive just for my Win OS 7.

Thanks

Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

Nice John, I've been thinking about getting X-Plane 11, been reading up on it. Do you run both X-Plane 11 and P3D on the same box? If so any types of conflicts with joy sticks or anything like that. I would keep both sims on different drives and my C: drive just for my Win OS 7.

Thanks

Martin

I run both sims on the same box, no conflicts at all, Xplane is a completely different system as opposed to P3d.  Once I had both sims running by accident, I wasn't paying attention LOL!  I'll probably expand my scenery to California over time.

John

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

Great, thanks for the info! Looking forward to learning this sim!

Cheers

Martin

It's nice to keep both Lockheed Martin and Austin afloat with my support, they deserve it.  Their sims are fun and purposeful, each with it's own nuisances.  I will switch back and forth, not sure how much photo-real scenery I will generate.  Maricopa may be enough for general GA flying since it is about 100 miles square, I don't feel I have to map the world, it's just nice having your home area in photoreal scenery.  I flew over my apartment complex, I loved it!

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice pictures. I like the soft horizon/mountains in the distance.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KnightFlyer said:

aw mannn wait till you get that autogen on top of the photoscenery its really immersive

I don't like autogen over my photoreal scenery, it defeats the realism for me.  At altitude I like what I have.  Having flown over Maricopa County so much, both in GA and Commercial aircraft, the scenery below matched what I see, for instance when I flew out to London in May, the 747 went right over my apartment, and the Xplane scenery renders it perfectly with OrthoXP4.  I saw my apartment just after takeoff for London, so it was easy to recognize in the xplane scenery.  Autogen would have covered it.

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cactus521 said:

I don't like autogen over my photoreal scenery, it defeats the realism for me.  At altitude I like what I have.  Having flown over Maricopa County so much, both in GA and Commercial aircraft, the scenery below matched what I see, for instance when I flew out to London in May, the 747 went right over my apartment, and the Xplane scenery renders it perfectly with OrthoXP4.  I saw my apartment just after takeoff for London, so it was easy to recognize in the xplane scenery.  Autogen would have covered it.


I think KnightFlyer is referring to W2XP. It's not autogen, it actually takes data from OpenStreetMap (OSM), so you'll find 3d buildings with accurate position and orientation overlayed above the photoscenery. Of course, only the buildings that have been mapped in OSM will appear in the sim. The coverage in the USA is lower than in Europe, so for example I see (on the OSM website) that Maricopa County has very few buildings mapped. Bigger cities usually have a much better coverage, and infact I see Phoenix has many buldings modeled, especially in the downtown.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Murmur said:


I think KnightFlyer is referring to W2XP. It's not autogen, it actually takes data from OpenStreetMap (OSM), so you'll find 3d buildings with accurate position and orientation overlayed above the photoscenery. Of course, only the buildings that have been mapped in OSM will appear in the sim. The coverage in the USA is lower than in Europe, so for example I see (on the OSM website) that Maricopa County has very few buildings mapped. Bigger cities usually have a much better coverage, and infact I see Phoenix has many buldings modeled, especially in the downtown.

 

I will have to look into W2XP.  Might make my flights more interesting.  Just flew over my old house, LOL!  One thing I do see is a stutter with the scenery, which doesn't happen in P3d,  it doesn't happen all the time, but it is noticeable.  Xplane has always been inefficient on getting the textures displayed, it seems to use more memory than P3D for the same resolution.  The default textures are fine, no stutters there.  But I can see that photoreal scenery stresses Xplane more than P3d, that's at level 17.  I might have to go lower on my next project.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest trying the overlays in XP with your ortho.  It's way better than FSX was and it's a good mix of photoreal above 3000 ft and believable houses and buildings below that as you approach the airport,

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'd suggest trying the overlays in XP with your ortho.  It's way better than FSX was and it's a good mix of photoreal above 3000 ft and believable houses and buildings below that as you approach the airport,

+1 on that suggestion.  I use the default XP overlay, but downloaded a free scenery addon that removes the underlying grass textures for the houses so more of the ortho shows through. In addition I use W2XP scenery generated using my own customized config file.  If you don't want to create your own W2XP scenery, I highly recommend downloading US West Real Life freeware from the .org.  It covers all of the western USA including Arizona and looks great on top of ortho scenery. I think you will be blown away by how immersive this combination can be.  Another drawback fo not using overlays is you loose the vehicle traffic and night lighting which really brings X-plane to life from dusk to dawn - pretty amazing actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

I don't like autogen over my photoreal scenery, it defeats the realism for me.  At altitude I like what I have.  Having flown over Maricopa County so much, both in GA and Commercial aircraft, the scenery below matched what I see, for instance when I flew out to London in May, the 747 went right over my apartment, and the Xplane scenery renders it perfectly with OrthoXP4.  I saw my apartment just after takeoff for London, so it was easy to recognize in the xplane scenery.  Autogen would have covered it.

John

 

Try this with your ortho and see...

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36109-us-west-real-life/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this