Hello all,

A small gripe here so please bear with me.

Has anyone noticed the HUGE number of Australian Airports ORBX have released for P3Dv4.

NONE, not effin one, I can't help thinking that they are chasing the almighty dollar when they are releasing new sceneries and have not yet upgraded already released 

stuff. 

I must admit to feeling left out and a little stupid.  When PDv4 was released, I purchased my FIRST Orbx products (FTX Global and the Australian Airports. This was a considered purchase given the ORBX promise for free upgrades. HMMMM my bad I guess. I have not even installed FTX Global  which HAS been upgraded. I only fly in Australia and Indonesia (which every scenery developer has ignored for P3Dv4) so all the other ORBX stuff is largely irrelevant to and for me, 

I just want OZ.

I feel much better now that that is off my scrawny chest LOL

Cheers everybody

Tony Chilcott

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Bills511,

Thanks mate,

A cuppla things.

1. I was going by the information supplied on the official ORBX website and none of the Australian airports are yet ported to v4.

2. I would only go with officially released to v4 products (I have enough computer problems without introducing untried programmes.

3. From what I have read and gleaned from this and other forums, the Fly Tampa version is not as good as the VOZ 1.8 version. 

All these comments are beside the point though, as I was specifically speaking of ORBX products and then only generalising about the lack of other devs in the OZ/Indonesian scenery areas.

I would also like to point out that it really was just a whinge.  It is entirely my choice to fly in the areas I do fly in.  I cannot blame anyone for that and that was never my intention.  I very much rue the fact that there is not a huge market for Australian scenery in any of the Sim Platforms but again I could find many benefits by flying in other areas.  My choice entirely, to fly where I do.

I do thank you though for your research, particularly, if you do not choose to fly Oceania yourself. 

Thanks again mate

Tony

16 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

1. I was going by the information supplied on the official ORBX website and none of the Australian airports are yet ported to v4.

All of the seven Orbx AU freeware airports have been updated and work in P3DV4.

It's frustrating for sure though as I only fly in Oceania myself too. Nothing xenophobic about it it just that I started with Orbx years ago when they did AU only and then it just became a financial decision to stop somewhere.

19 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

3. From what I have read and gleaned from this and other forums, the Fly Tampa version is not as good as the VOZ 1.8 version.

Isn't Voz 1.8 for FS9?. Hard to believe it could be better than Fly Tampa.

gb.

10 minutes ago, gboz said:

Isn't Voz 1.8 for FS9?. Hard to believe it could be better than Fly Tampa.

Maybe Tony is thinking of another YSSY release (can't remember who it was by but I do remember it was freeware) and confusing it with FlyTampa's superb rendition of Kingsford Smith?

Hey guys,

I apologise,

FlyTampa Sydney vs VOZ 1.8 is most definitely  FS2004 (I was not daydreaming ... I was asleep LOL)

I have not tried Fly Tampa Sydney for P3Dv4 but I have to admit that I have heard nothing but praise for the FSX/P3D Fly Tampa stuff. VOZ apparently does a better job of YSSY in FS2004.

GBOZ, where does it say the oz airports have been released for P3Dv4.  I just left the site again (twice today) and they still only say P3Dv3.

I genuinely hope you are right.

Sorry for the confjusion guys

Regards

Tony

2 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

NONE, not effin one, I can't help thinking that they are chasing the almighty dollar when they are releasing new sceneries and have not yet upgraded already released stuff

Hi Tony,

Note that most of the Australian Airports by ORBX are all pretty much older releases and in some cases the developer that made them may have moved on to other things and not developing anymore, and one of the guys has passed away unfortunately. ORBX doesn't move airports onto other developers when this happens as it is considered a project by the original developer or team...etc. This would be the reason why not much is happening with some of the older stuff.

When you look at each airport they do have the developers name on it and they pay that developer for it, and they don't pass it onto others, if that person isn't working on things at the moment then nothing is happening with it. Hope this helps to explain things

Cheers

Mathew, 

I do, unfortunately, understand all of that. I am just a little depressed that i have purchased sceneries and airports that I will likely never use because I bought them for a specific platform and was led to believe that they would be upgraded and, FOR FREE. Yay, I thought. If nothing further happens with these Ozzie airports, regardless of reasons, I will, I suppose, have to live with that.  

If these products are not going to be upgraded, I think you can guess the approximate date and hour I will buy my next ORBX product.  Sounds harsh, but in reality, I live with the hope that all will soon happen.

Cheers again 

Tony

Why not just try the airports in V4, I've had ORBX YBBN, YBCS, YMAV, YMEN, and YMML working fine in V4 for almost 2 months now. 

Dave_YVR,

I will bite ... why VR? LOL

As I said before mate, I am somewhat loathe to try experimenting with products that are not proven v4 compatible. The reason for that is primarily because I have never had a REAL flight in P3D. I have not played with it any any way really and I do not want to complicate it unnecessarily.

I do appreciate what you are saying and if I follow up with this, I will be having many questions to pose. I am not at all sure that I am ready for the (self inflicted) ridicule. I gfuess that I simply want everything to install smoothly as I do not know where to go if I have any problems.  I have to tell you though, that I am sorely tempted to install and be damned. I can always reinstall P3Dv4 I guess.

I can, I think, experiment and find my way round FS2004 reasonably well and in fact, manage to help some people out sometimes. P3Dv4 is very different and I am old and nervous. I hope that makes sense to you.

I will keep you all posted if I do make this attempt.

Cheers and thanks

Tony

4 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

GBOZ, where does it say the oz airports have been released for P3Dv4.  I just left the site again (twice today) and they still only say P3Dv3.

https://orbxdirect.com/freeware

Down near the bottom. All are P3DV4,3,2,1, FSX, FSXSE compatible.

Edit: You have to log in to your Orbx Direct and add them to your account.
They will then show in FTX Central.

gb.

GBOZ

That is fantastic, I will try download and install tomorrow.

Thanks for that informationm.

Cheers

Tony

It’s only the object flow module that’s in a beta opt in. You need the module to run the airports. There appears to be no more issues with it and I believe it’s almost ready for full release. 

To be honest, I have had zero issues with it. 

Hello all,

Update,

I have just received an email from Richard in Support. 

He has said that they are working on P3Dv4 airport compatibility and hope to have them available soon. I logged into the installer and I am now downloading (very slowly) a library update. I have no idea just what that is but is apparently quite a big update.

I am still sorely tempted to install but I do not want to wreck anything and I may be well bettrer suited to wait until guaranteed compatibility.

Unfortunately, as previously stated, I do not have many clues with P3Dv4 at all.

At this stage, I have only loaded the Acdemic P3Dv4 and  Dreamteam GSX.

Next on the list is PTA , FSUIPC, and a couple of aircraft. On the aircraft list is

the Carenado Phenom300 with Navdata and GTN750, particularly if updated with the new G1000 showcased in the new 172 ... very much torn between PMDG and IFly 737 (I have the Ifly FS2004 and just love it so it therefore has the advantage of familiarity ... my baby pictured below) and I want the TDFI 717 and/or the FSLabs 320.

That should keep me happy for a cuppla days lol

Cheers

Tony

F69x1NT.jpg

Hello all,

I think I may have just made my first mistake with this install.

I downloaded the update (two days) but I put it into a sub-folder named ORBX in my IDM download folder.  This was done because I have/had no idea what the update was. Initial download never took place because of the incompatibility factor,

I have just opened it and there are just over 40 zipped files in there. 

Do I now unzip them to, or just copy and paste them to a new folder (?) in P3Dv4. I am asking this because there appear to be NO install instructions at all and I am well and truly befuddled.

Can some one please tell me what to do with them now (be nice please LOL) and where to put them?. Because they are supposedly not compatible, what special precautions do I need to follow?

Regards

Tony

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

I downloaded the update (two days) but I put it into a sub-folder named ORBX in my IDM download folder.  This was done because I have/had no idea what the update was. Initial download never took place because of the incompatibility factor,

What update are you talking about here?

All Orbx downolads should now be done with FTXCentral3 only if you want things to be as easy as possible.

gb.

gboz,

I wish I knew mate.

I went to FTX Central... Logged in and it told me just below the log in space, that I had updates.  Given that it was my first visit to FTX and I had never downloaded anything from that site before, my first thought was that it may have been the v4 airports. 

I jumped in and two days later I have the forty odd zip files with no instructions on what to do with them or what they were. 

I now suspect that they are the original purchases just downloaded for the first time. Even so, I still have no idea of what they are or what I dfo with em.

Hang on ... just had a thought ... I will unzip the first one locally and see what I can find out.  I will get back to you ASAP

Cheers

Tony

gboz,

Well, that was a big help to me .... I extracted the first zipfile into a new folder. I opened that folder to find 154 more zip files. I extracted the first of those and it gave me a document type of file that I cannot open.

Can yhou make any sense of it?

Tony

7 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

gboz,

Well, that was a big help to me .... I extracted the first zipfile into a new folder. I opened that folder to find 154 more zip files. I extracted the first of those and it gave me a document type of file that I cannot open.

Can yhou make any sense of it?

Tony

I think the problem might of been IDM intercepting the download. Orbx downloads should only happen within FTX Central. They will then download and install automatically. I would delete all those zip files, turn off IDM and try re-downloading.

You definitely have FTX Central 3 and not the older FTX Central 2?

gb

gboz,

This is definitely NOT an IDM problem. 

I clicked on the FTX link on the ORBX site and I installed the installer. I downloaded it to sub folder newly created in MY IDM download folder  I did this because I did not (still don't) know what it was.

There were no download instructions nor any information that i could see, which would indicate what it was. Not even a hint on where it should be downloaded/installed to.

I find this too strange and confusing to be normal for a big company like ORBX and would prefer to believe that I have done something wrong or stupid. I just do not know what it is.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

You might be better served on ORBX forum - FTX downloads are invisible to the user - normally you just click install and you get a progress bar letting you know your request has been added to the queue and how much is left to download - the actual install is automatic - there are no files to handle...

It does sound like something is intercepting the files if you see downloaded files...

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. 

I was and still am, confused because it asked me where to install it.  I did not know what it was and did not want to corrupt P3Dv4 with something unwanted. That is why I downloaded it into the folder as explained.

I think the solution here is to download it again and let it do its thing.if that is possible. Now that it has downloaded there will be nought in the queue for download. 

It may be a very clear and simple process for those who know what they are doing, but the aged and feeble like mineself create some incredible problems through sheer ignorance. This really could have been avoided with a simple explanation before download, but I blame me not ORBX.

Just for interest sake, where does this process download to? Does it create its own ORBX folder or place it somewhere into an existing v4 folder?

Thanks guys for all your replies and help. No doubt I will be screaming again as I go under for the third time LOL

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

More than happy to try and help - as an IT guy for more than 25 years - I'm used to working through a myriad of problems with users of varying skill levels... No worries whatsoever...

Could we have our wires crossed and your still trying to download and install "FTX Central 3" ??? This is the program that scans your drive for installed ORBX products and tells you which needs an update - - - it has to be version 3 as well... If you downloading it from the actual ORBX site - I would think it could be trusted - if not we would probably see hundreds of posts on the issue...

If it prompts you for where you want FTX3 installed - anywhere should be fine - personally - I keep my OS on one SSD - all my run time FS stuff on a second SSD - and utility programs like FTX3 on a third mechanical bulk storage drive... However you see fit... If it doesn't prompt you - some programs have the install path hard coded - just let it go where it wants...  

Can you post a screenshot of what you're looking at ???

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

I don't think that is necessary,

From memory, I went to ORBX site, downloaded the FTX Central installer, which then started the huge download about 2GB which took two days.

I think I am finally on the right track now because my error was that I simply downloaded it to a folder where it was not supposed to go. It has not been installed at all. I believe a "start again" approach is what is needed now.

What threw me off was the blank black space for the install directory. Had that hinted at ... drive C ... Microsoft program files..P3Dv4. or ...browse I would have had a better understanding of what it was etc. There was however, nothing like that, that I could find. It did not even have an install directory at all... just a blank space. For me ... very very confusing. That, plus the fact that it was labeled an update was strange and I immediately thought that the "update" was in fact, the v4 version.

Richard from ORBX support subsequently advised me that they were still working on the v4 version which then just contributed further to my confusion. because of the "update" aspect.  Update of what?

I will now try to find a new download and start again.

Huge waste of time and effort but I am hoping it will be worth it in the long run.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

OK - sounds good - sound like you have limited bandwidth if it takes so long to download... FTX3 should give you a list of programs that need to be updated and you select which ones to install - maybe try it first with a single file and make sure it completes properly before adding all the files to the queue...

Regards,
Scott