Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Dynamic Lighting Performance & 4.1

2 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Chris, I'll do it, but next time can you please ask when I'm at a bigger airport? I've already had one hull loss tonight, thanks to y'all. :happy:

2017-10-16_20-59-41-434_zpsinakyg0b.jpg

Here's the first visit by a 700-series NGX (in Southwest Classic colors) to 57NC Sossamon Field. Dynamic lights are on in the pic. WIth the lights off, she's exactly the same as the 600 described above ie. no illumination of the runway at all, but you can see 'lights' on the wings.

Now wish me luck for this takeoff... 

So there you go, PMDG upgraded all their models to DL.

If you want to use their planes be sure your system can sustain Dynamic lighting.

Simbol 

8 minutes ago, simbol said:

So there you go, PMDG upgraded all their models to DL.

If you want to use their planes be sure your system can sustain Dynamic lighting.

Simbol 

Yes, we've squared that away.

PLUS, if anyone has any contacts at Southwest Airlines, mention to them that they may want to consider running a service into 57NC Sossamon (just next to Bryson City, NC).

That takeoff wasn't even hard, we can definitely use this plane again... :happy:

2017-10-16_21-14-7-240_zps5fixlbdf.jpg

• Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

13 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

PLUS, if anyone has any contacts at Southwest Airlines, mention to them that they may want to consider running a service into 57NC Sossamon (just next to Bryson City, NC).

That takeoff wasn't even hard, we can definitely use this plane again... :happy:

LOL

I have just tested my -700 (v1.20.8413) with P3D V4.0 again.

Legacy lights work, but only in the virtual cockpit (VC), not from the outside view.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to paste images here at AVSIM forum if you have not uploaded them with a URL.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Another good test is ESSA from Orbx (fastlane may need to be enabled) - DL can be toggled on and off from the control panel to see how performance is affected.

Does anyone get the problem where -  in a scene which has many lights (e.g. at EGLL facing the terminal buildings whilst taxing) the aircraft taxi lights disappear? I assume because the hard limit of 250 DL is reached. Why can't it limit lights based on distance rather than number, and why would it start from the closest?

2 minutes ago, Zinnertek said:

Does anyone get the problem where -  in a scene which has many lights (e.g. at EGLL facing the terminal buildings whilst taxing) the aircraft taxi lights disappear? I assume because the hard limit of 250 DL is reached. Why can't it limit lights based on distance rather than number, and why would it start from the closest?

I got this yesterday at Imaginesim's Singapore -- what is strange is that it's a scenery with no dynamic lights at all, so I'm not sure how it hit the limit. It's also possible it's an issue unrelated to the DL hard limit, I suppose.

When I would face the camera away from the airport the taxi lights would come back. Very strange behavior.

James

1 hour ago, DylanM said:

Another good test is ESSA from Orbx (fastlane may need to be enabled) - DL can be toggled on and off from the control panel to see how performance is affected.

Dylan, folks.

I thought I'd follow up on this. 

QOTS II at Orbx ESSA, tested at gate 62, terminal 2.

Cockpit views:

No lighting, daytime: 49 FPS

Night, airport DLs: 51 FPS

Night, airport DLs, landing lights on: 51 FPS

----------------------

GPU usage (this is with a mildly overclocked 1080Ti) - 88%

Outcome: NO impact with twenty odd airport lights and PMDG landing lights. This is with a six core CPU with 28 PCI-E lanes, and a very good graphics card that is near - but not at - its limit.

------------------

Outside view:

FINALLY I have some drop in my frames, by 10-20 depending on where I look. GPU at 100%

----------

Comment: I've had a very good experience with dynamic lighting with A2A, PMDG and now ORbx airports. Any frame drop seems to be GPU-limited.

I note on the LM P3D forum some of the people posting problems turn out to have good, but older, graphics cards. Given that I'm at 88% in the cockpit with a 1080Ti running at 1936 MHz, even a standard 1080 is not going to cut in this application.

So I'd say that the tech is not broken, but we really need the next-gen GPUs to give us some headroom here.

Cheers!

Rob

• Upvote 2

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

33 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Dylan, folks.

I thought I'd follow up on this. 

QOTS II at Orbx ESSA, tested at gate 62, terminal 2.

Cockpit views:

No lighting, daytime: 49 FPS

Night, airport DLs: 51 FPS

Night, airport DLs, landing lights on: 51 FPS

----------------------

GPU usage (this is with a mildly overclocked 1080Ti) - 88%

Outcome: NO impact with twenty odd airport lights and PMDG landing lights. This is with a six core CPU with 28 PCI-E lanes, and a very good graphics card that is near - but not at - its limit.

------------------

Outside view:

FINALLY I have some drop in my frames, by 10-20 depending on where I look. GPU at 100%

----------

Comment: I've had a very good experience with dynamic lighting with A2A, PMDG and now ORbx airports. Any frame drop seems to be GPU-limited.

I note on the LM P3D forum some of the people posting problems turn out to have good, but older, graphics cards. Given that I'm at 88% in the cockpit with a 1080Ti running at 1936 MHz, even a standard 1080 is not going to cut in this application.

So I'd say that the tech is not broken, but we really need the next-gen GPUs to give us some headroom here.

Cheers!

Rob

Rob are you using SSAA or 4k?  Most people find issues under such configurations.

Simbol 

5 minutes ago, simbol said:

Rob are you using SSAA or 4k?  Most people find issues under such configurations.

Simbol 

Yes, I think 4K or high-level AA are going to max out any card, given that I'm at 88%.

i use msaa 8x.

Screen: not 4K, bigger than 1080p (graphic monitor) - 2560 x 1440, I think? (4am, too much simming, hope I got my numbers right!}

I don't use 4K because my actual flying is all using the Oculus CV1 these days.

Oz

34 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Yes, I think 4K or high-level AA are going to max out any card, given that I'm at 88%.

i use msaa 8x.

Screen: not 4K, bigger than 1080p (graphic monitor) - 2560 x 1440, I think? (4am, too much simming, hope I got my numbers right!}

I don't use 4K because my actual flying is all using the Oculus CV1 these days.

Thanks Robert,

Can you switch to SSAA and see if you get massive drops? I just want to confirm this is the case as there is a high quantity of users having such drops under SSAA.

Simbol

nVidia Volta (Tesla V100 silicon) 2.3 X faster than a Titan X pascal ... should solve any SSAA DL 4K issues when they come out end of this year or early next year.  GTX2080Ti @ $699 (21 billion transistors), 5120 CUDA cores, 16GB VRAM (DDR6 or HBM2), 900GB/s bandwidth ... current speculation.

Cheers, Rob.

20 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

nVidia Volta (Tesla V100 silicon) 2.3 X faster than a Titan X pascal ... should solve any SSAA DL 4K issues when they come out end of this year or early next year.  GTX2080Ti @ $699 (21 billion transistors), 5120 CUDA cores, 16GB VRAM (DDR6 or HBM2), 900GB/s bandwidth ... current speculation.

Cheers, Rob.

I'd scream with joy at paying $699 for that Rob, unfortunately here in rip off UK we're likely to see £1000 plus I'm afraid - and more on top of that if this stupid Brexity thing actually happens :(

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

10 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

here in rip off UK we're likely to see £1000 plus I'm afraid

Yeah, I was in shock when Pete D. told me the cost of his current PC ... it would have been considerably cheaper for him if I purchased the parts here in CA, flew out to the UK, built the system for him, and flew back (and get a visit in with my UK relatives while I'm at it).  No idea the source of the markup but it doesn't cost $528 to ship a GPU from CA to UK ... it's the exact same GPU and will work sooooo ...

Cheers, Rob.

19 hours ago, simbol said:

I agree with that observation and that's pretty much the state of flightsims these days. It is similar to the situation with the P3d 3D Speedtrees. The concept is great but the implementation is limited by hardware capabilities.

Another example is VR. Sure, Aerofly FS2 is nice and smooth but it's not a complete flight sim like P3d and XP11. 4K and 8K headsets will make that situation even worse.

The good news is that nVidia keeps pressing forward with GPU technology.