Gregg_Seipp

What do you guys think of Air Hauler 2?

Recommended Posts

Seems interesting to me.  I'd like to have missions, though, I'd rather fly humanitarian flights or small passenger flights and such than for profit...almost all GA.  I'd like to have to do some weight and balance and have air hauler load up the airplane for me.  Can't say I'm really interested in building my own airline so much as be an independent contractor.  Does Air Hauler 2 fit that model in any way?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi, I use air hauler in Nomad mode. This mode does not require you to have a base and run a cargo line. I also have another company that fly's for missionary air fellowship www.maf.org as pretend company. The amount of humanitarian missions are limited. You cannot create your own. If you can, try to get on the early access forum at just flight to read all the posts. AH2 gives a reason to fly . It is also still being enhanced. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Brian Weinrich said:

Hi, I use air hauler in Nomad mode. This mode does not require you to have a base and run a cargo line. I also have another company that fly's for missionary air fellowship www.maf.org as pretend company. The amount of humanitarian missions are limited. You cannot create your own. If you can, try to get on the early access forum at just flight to read all the posts. AH2 gives a reason to fly . It is also still being enhanced. 

That sounds pretty good.  It'd be nice to be able to create your own missions and/or share missions other people make in different categories.  Does it adjust to the kind of aircraft you have in your fleet?  E.g. I don't have the C208 in my fleet.  Does it load the fuel and cargo/passengers into your plane?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Seems interesting to me.  I'd like to have missions, though, I'd rather fly humanitarian flights or small passenger flights and such than for profit...almost all GA.  I'd like to have to do some weight and balance and have air hauler load up the airplane for me.  Can't say I'm really interested in building my own airline so much as be an independent contractor.  Does Air Hauler 2 fit that model in any way?

Yup, it has humanitarian missions, and they are related to real events too, i.e. fly some medical supplies to hurricane victims, that kind of thing, which makes it interesting and occasionally risky too, since you might be going through rough weather to get there. As far as weight and balance goes, what happens is if you start it with P3D for example, it has all the default aeroplanes in there already such as the Constellation, Electra, etc, but you can import any aeroplanes you have installed and choose to configure them for freight or passenger layout, then you have to fill out a few parameters such as fuel burn rate, range etc. From that, Air Hauler determines the payload it can carry overall as an MTOW and as a physical capacity too, so, it knows how much fuel you can load up and how much cargo you can load up (in lbs), so, you can for example, take a cargo of X amount of weight, but there may be only so much fuel you can carry before you'll be over MTOW. You can overload the thing if you like though, as you could a real aeroplane, or you could do things more safely and fly part of the route, land and then refuel and do the next bit, that kind of thing. It really is quite realistic in that respect. As far as being an independent contractor, you can do that too, picking up missions to fly this or that cargo here or there, or doing air taxi flights etc. 

It does a lot more than all that too, for example you can trade stocks on the stock market, build production facilities, trade produce, etc, et, and that's really what makes it so good; you can dip in and utilise it for whatever floats your boat and skip stuff which doesn't interest you. So if you just wanna be a pilot flying air taxi in a Cessna and have it generate such contracts so you get to fly to unusual places, then it will do that, or if you want to build a massive empire with hundreds of facilities and a ton of employees and all kinds of business activities, and a massive fleet of 747s or whatever, then you can do that too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup, it has humanitarian missions, and they are related to real events too, i.e. fly some medical supplies to hurricane victims, that kind of thing, which makes it interesting and occasionally risky too, since you might be going through rough weather to get there. As far as weight and balance goes, what happens is if you start it with P3D for example, it has all the default aeroplanes in there already such as the Constellation, Electra, etc, but you can import any aeroplanes you have installed and choose to configure them for freight or passenger layout, then you have to fill out a few parameters such as fuel burn rate, range etc. From that, Air Hauler determines the payload it can carry overall as an MTOW and as a physical capacity too, so, it knows how much fuel you can load up and how much cargo you can load up (in lbs), so, you can for example, take a cargo of X amount of weight, but there may be only so much fuel you can carry before you'll be over MTOW. You can overload the thing if you like though, as you could a real aeroplane, or you could do things more safely and fly part of the route, land and then refuel and do the next bit, that kind of thing. It really is quite realistic in that respect. As far as being an independent contractor, you can do that too, picking up missions to fly this or that cargo here or there, or doing air taxi flights etc. 

It does a lot more than all that too, for example you can trade stocks on the stock market, build production facilities, trade produce, etc, et, and that's really what makes it so good; you can dip in and utilise it for whatever floats your boat and skip stuff which doesn't interest you. So if you just wanna be a pilot flying air taxi in a Cessna and have it generate such contracts so you get to fly to unusual places, then it will do that, or if you want to build a massive empire with hundreds of facilities and a ton of employees and all kinds of business activities, and a massive fleet of 747s or whatever, then you can do that too.

That sounds good.  I like the idea of being able to select cargo and fuel up front...load up P3D and let Air Hauler do the magic.  I assume you can have different profiles...e.g. an "independent contractor" profile, a "corporate" profile.  I mostly fly GA but, every so often, I get that "I want to fly a great big airplane" itch.  Does it do a decent job of distributing cargo in the big planes?  (e.g. PMDG and the like?)

Share this post


Link to post

I have airhauler 2 and am put off by its complexity and the lack of a decent manual

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jkeye said:

I have airhauler 2 and am put off by its complexity and the lack of a decent manual

Do the youtube tutorials not help with it?  Seems like there are a lot of them.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jkeye said:

I have airhauler 2 and am put off by its complexity and the lack of a decent manual

Well, as it says in the present manual:

'As the early access period continues, more information on features and detail will be added to this document, with a fully detailed manual made available at release.'

There is no point in the developer wasting time constantly recreating new manual PDFs every time a bug is squashed or a feature is tweaked or added. As it stands, AH2 Early Access is usable and completely stable, and sure, some features take a bit of figuring out, but it's not rocket science to suss out how it all works, especially since there is a specific support forum for the product. More importantly, I have literally never had either the original Air Hauler or the present Air Hauler 2 early access version crash, not once, ever, and that's amazing considering I've been using AH since 2009 when the first version came out and have used it with FS9, FSX and P3D.

13 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I assume you can have different profiles...e.g. an "independent contractor" profile, a "corporate" profile.  I mostly fly GA but, every so often, I get that "I want to fly a great big airplane" itch.  Does it do a decent job of distributing cargo in the big planes?  (e.g. PMDG and the like?)

You can have as many companies as you like, you pick which one you want when you fire it up (takes about 2 seconds to do that). Or if you like, you can have your single company with all kinds of different aeroplanes in its fleet, and your pilot can have personal, i.e. non company aeroplanes too.

I have some AI pilots flying passenger schedules in Citation CJ4s and some flying cargo jobs in ATL-98s, but I've also got some pilots who will be taking a type rating and building hours in another ATL-98 which I purchased in poor condition, which I will repair and then eventually have making cargo runs across the Atlantic with those newer pilots, one other ATL-98 (G-CARV) is the one I use personally for cargo flights. Note on this screenshot that one CJ4 is slightly damaged, this is because one of the pilots that operates that aeroplane is a bit lacking in skills, they will improve with time though and the aeroplane is insured. One of the ATL-98s is also damaged, it was like that when I bought it, which is why it only cost about three million Dollars to buy. It is being delivered to one of my bases by the seller, and that will take a couple of days as it is coming from the Western USA (I could have chosen to fly it myself if I wanted it quicker, but couldn't be bothered, so I chose the option to pay for delivery):

K62SnmR.png

 

You don't need a youtube tutorial for it, it's pretty much common sense, the UI makes it easy to understand and use.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Does it do a decent job of distributing cargo in the big planes?  (e.g. PMDG and the like?)

Cargo and fuel loading. Note that you can override this in the sim with any specific loading app such as those which come with PMDG etc if you wish to):

6ySsDl9.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Two other features: You can create your own home page with graphics to customize your opening page experience. The other is for when you lease or purchase another aircraft for your company, you can see that aircraft parked at times at your base when assigned to your hired ai pilot. I use aircraft I have purchased for prepar3d such as the Milviz beaver or Lionheart Kodiak. It's nice to see they can get some use visually for me.  There are so many possibilities in small GA company. One I use in July is taking customers to small airports located near the 21 stages of the Tour De France. It gets me out into the Alps. The missionary company has it's base in Papua New Guinea and someone made some STOL strips which are challenging. Immersion is key for me to get into the air. As a side note, another program used is FSFlying School which adds to the Tour De France company. You can add a sound file that plays near the airport and/ or at the airport. So when landing I'll hear a short description of the stage location.  

Edited by Brian Weinrich
Change
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm also considering buying Air Hauler 2 but more to operate big aircraft such as FSL A320 and Majestci Q400.

For the GA aircraft I think FSEconomy does pretty well the stuff.

In Air Hauler is it possible to start directly with an A320 or a Q400 or do you have to play for month before being able to buy / lease that kind of Aircraft ?

Does the Majestic Q400 works flawlessly with Air Hauler without any needs of black magic tricks ? (the fact that the Q400 operate "outside" of the P3D engine make it tricky to work with client like FSE that reads data from P3D directly so I suspect it might be the same with Air Hauler 2)

Share this post


Link to post

What I found when I tried Air Hauler2 was that if I didn't play it for a week or two I'd come back to massive bills. Is there a way of managing this? I don't have the time to play 24/7 or even every day.

 

Jim Harris

 

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Bushido5 said:

I'm also considering buying Air Hauler 2 but more to operate big aircraft such as FSL A320 and Majestci Q400.

For the GA aircraft I think FSEconomy does pretty well the stuff.

In Air Hauler is it possible to start directly with an A320 or a Q400 or do you have to play for month before being able to buy / lease that kind of Aircraft ?

Does the Majestic Q400 works flawlessly with Air Hauler without any needs of black magic tricks ? (the fact that the Q400 operate "outside" of the P3D engine make it tricky to work with client like FSE that reads data from P3D directly so I suspect it might be the same with Air Hauler 2)

There are numerous start options when you create your Air Hauler company. The choice affects how much money you start out with, what reputation you have, and what aeroplane you have. You can start with a little Cessna or some such with little money and a poor reputation, or start with wads of cash, a high reputation level and a four-engined airliner, and pretty much all points in between. But, it will let you immediately sell the airliner you start with and then you have the cash to buy your preferred airliner. You can also borrow money from the bank to buy equipment, but how much you can borrow will depend on your reputation. So, it is certainly possible to start out on day one, sell the Lockheed Constellation, then use the cash to buy or lease your preferred aircraft. From that point on it is up to you to make cash and improve your reputation, add to your fleet, open bases, hire and fire pilots to fly your additional airliners etc.

Any aircraft you have installed can be imported into the Air Hauler interface and it then become available for your company to purchase or lease, and will occasionally also show up for sale 'second hand' via private sellers, which can be cheaper than leasing or buying one new, but the aircraft may be a long way from your base and might also be in poor condition, necessitating repairs. It only takes a couple of seconds to import anything you have installed in your simulator. When you import an airliner into the Air Hauler GUI, it is simply a case of pointing the browser to its config file, but upon import, Air Hauler will take a guess at the range, fuel consumption, capacity etc of the aeroplane, and if you don't like its guess, you can alter it. This means you might have to look up online what the range or capacity of the airliner is so you can put the correct info in, but it is very simple to do that. Once the aircraft is in there, it will appear on the screens for you to buy, lease etc.

I've never had a problem with any aeroplane in Air Hauler 2 working just fine, and that has included a lot of payer aeroplanes including: A2A's Piper Commanche, FSL A320, PMDG 737 NG, iFly 737 NG, PMDG 747, iFly 747, PMDG DC-6, JF DC-6, JF Trinidad and Tobago, JF DC-8, JF BAC 1-11, Flight Replicas DC-4, ATL-98 and Argonaut, Virtualcol CRJ, Virtualcol ATR-42& ATR-72, AeroSim 747-400D, Aerosol 777 etc, so you can see that it's not likely to be an issue with pretty much any aeroplane. 

I did just once have an issue with one aeroplane in the original Air Hauler years ago (can't remember what aeroplane it was, but I think it might have been something like the cargo capacity being wrong on the Just Flight DC-3 or some such), so I went on the Air Hauler forums and contacted the Air Hauler developer (Slopey), he tweaked the program and sorted the problem and released a patch literally the following day so it would work, but, in the interim, he told me a quick workaround which would get it working immediately. This is one of the reasons why I am such a strong advocate of both Air Hauler, its developer, and Just Flight (its publisher), because you get a level of support which puts other developers to shame.

26 minutes ago, Domestos said:

What I found when I tried Air Hauler2 was that if I didn't play it for a week or two I'd come back to massive bills. Is there a way of managing this? I don't have the time to play 24/7 or even every day.

Jim Harris

 

The way around that is to buy a small airliner (I use the Cessna Citation CJ4), and set up a regular scheduled passenger route which makes perhaps 8 flights a day between somewhere such as London and Paris, and set it up to operate seven days a week. A route like that will make at least 2,000 Dollars per flight, so if you times that by eight flights per day, that's 16,000 Dollars per day, times 30, gives you 480,000 Dollars a month. You can buy a CJ4 in the sim for about 1.2 million Dollars, which means it will pay for itself in less than three months. You will of course have fuel costs, AI crew costs, landing fees maintenance and such to pay, but the profit from the route will more than cover those costs. I have three such schedules set up in Air Hauler with three CJ4s that do nothing other than fly those AI schedules for me, which means I could easily leave Air Hauler 2 untouched for a couple of weeks and then fire it up, and it'd simply update with how much money I'd made. You will need to build a base at both airports you want to fly a route between, and that will take a couple of days to complete, but once you have that in place, you can simply set up one day of flight schedules and then copy and paste it to every day of the week.

Share this post


Link to post

I have AH1 and one aspect I don' like is the game clock runs even when the game is shut down.  Does AH2 work this way as well?

Share this post


Link to post

Just a quick question, can i limit the possible destinations to certain airports i have 3rd party scenery for?

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the detailed answer Chock.

Anyone here using Majestic Q400 and Air Hauler 2 can confirm there is no issue ? (The outside flight model of the Q400 make it hard for some client to read the data and hence understand that the engine are running / aircraft is flying)

Share this post


Link to post

Genius....! I'll start saving up for a CJ4 right away!

Thanks Mate!

Jim Harris

Share this post


Link to post

The program itself is complex enough to keep you engaged for a good while. It gives you a sense of direction within your sim. However i find the visuals of the program to be bland and reminding me more of playing a spreadsheet than anything. Because of this i am eager to see what Rex’ Simair will bring to the table when or if it eventually comes. Right now AH2 is definately the best in the market for what it does. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Woozie said:

Just a quick question, can i limit the possible destinations to certain airports i have 3rd party scenery for?

Well you could, but it would require you to do the following: Let's say you had payware scenery for these four airports: Heathrow EGLL, Paris LFPG, Kennedy KJFK and Almeria LEAM, you could build bases at those four airports, and then in the job generation options slider settings, you could put the 'internal jobs' generation option on max settings, and that would generate mostly freight jobs between your bases. But you'd need to be aware that one of the developer's goals when creating Air Hauler, was to provide flight simmers with the incentive to fly to airports which they  might not normally consider going to; because that is one of its aims, you actually get less reputation points per job for flying internal jobs between your bases, and so do your AI pilots. That's why I flew my ATL-98 all the way to Nigeria from Liverpool last night hauling a cargo hold full of fizzy drinks, which took ages since it has a maximum cruise speed of about 200 knots!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 24/11/2017 at 11:53 PM, Brian Weinrich said:

Hi, I use air hauler in Nomad mode. This mode does not require you to have a base and run a cargo line. I also have another company that fly's for missionary air fellowship www.maf.org as pretend company. The amount of humanitarian missions are limited. You cannot create your own. If you can, try to get on the early access forum at just flight to read all the posts. AH2 gives a reason to fly . It is also still being enhanced. 

Would you kindly find the time to explain to us mere mortals, who have had no breakfast today (!), how Nomad works ?

 

Thank you very much.

Edited by Gabe777

Share this post


Link to post

As I don't care much for flying to/from default airports, does AH2 allow you to define a  subset of airports to operate to/from

Share this post


Link to post

It generates a list of jobs from / to your base and some inbetween.  You choose a base(s) airport.  The cost of base varies based on grass, paved, lights, and ils, amongst other factors.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ErichB said:

As I don't care much for flying to/from default airports, does AH2 allow you to define a  subset of airports to operate to/from

Indirectly, yes it does. For cargo operations, AH regularly generates a number of cargo jobs which have various time limits for when they need to be completed, with various sizes of cargo to be hauled to and from airports all over the world. But, all of those parameters can be fine tuned in the options, whereby you can specify the size of jobs it generates, how many it generates, the range of the jobs etc. However, since you can open bases for your cargo (and passenger) operations, it is possible to select an option to generate more base-to-base jobs, and of course you can also simply choose to only fly jobs between your bases anyway, as it will generate a lot of them if you specify that as your preference. Where passenger ops are concerned, you set up schedules between bases, and since you can open a base at any airport you like for either cargo and/or passenger ops, obviously you can choose to only open bases for which you have decent scenery.

I've done all that stuff for my airline company in Air Hauler 2, so I have five bases, all of which I have good scenery for, these being Archangelsk, Liverpool, Paris Le Bourget, Almeria and Dakar, so I run a regular scheduled service with three Cessna CJ4 private jets running between Archangelsk, Le Bourget and Liverpool, plus major cargo operations between Almeria and Dakar utilising two Carvair DC-4 conversions, linking Europe to Africa.

When not running these ops or flying ad hoc flights between those bases, I use a B787 and an A330 to fly ad-hoc cargo flights to wherever I fancy, which means I can get to some interesting places, although some of these I won't have fancy scenery for, but I don't worry about that too much for those flights.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now