Jump to content

Nyxx

AS + SF entering Full overcast

Recommended Posts

AS with cloud draw distance set to 200 miles with very little hit on FPS SF with "Enhanced Overcast Clouds Bases turned ON. FL340

112.jpg


114.jpg


115.jpg

 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David, when you launch ASPv4 each time does it trigger ASCA Full Dynamic theme to download? Or you don't want ASCA anymore after installation of SF textures meaning you don't want them to be overwritten? Is there a trigger in SF to start after ASPv4 each time and infuse current weather-related textures like it was the case with ASCA?

Thanks,

Igor.

Edited by Dirk98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I start ASPv4 and ASCA auto starts. I then close ASCA and then start SF. Then start P3D. I also turned all option off in ASCA just to make sure.

As an high flyer FSL/NG being able to use cloud draw at 200 is a sim changer. I hated the 110 mile bubble I had.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I start ASPv4 and ASCA auto starts. I then close ASCA and then start SF. Then start P3D. I also turned all option off in ASCA just to make sure.

David, i still didnt find an answer about sky textures. Does SF inject sky textures as well like ASCA ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roi1862 said:

David, i still didnt found an answer about sky textures. Does SF inject sky textures as well like ASCA ? 

No 100% sure what your asking but for me SF has replaced ASCA, But due to redraw/WX AS is still the best weather engine we have. Happy to sit back and see what HiFi, REX or anyone else brings out to set a new level in a weather engine or cloud art. Competition is great.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

David, i still didnt find an answer about sky textures. Does SF inject sky textures as well like ASCA ? 

Roi, from what I've gathered so far SF infuses textures once at the beginning of P3D session. They are (perhaps) wx-related. And no, they don't get overwritten in the course of a P3D session like ASCA textures do.

I think I should get SF though, their textures look incredible.

Igor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I start ASPv4 and ASCA auto starts. I then close ASCA and then start SF. Then start P3D. I also turned all option off in ASCA just to make sure.

There's a box or setting in ASCA where you can just disengage autostart.

PS: Does SF also infuse Sky textures?

Edited by Dirk98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Roi, from what I've gathered so far SF infuses textures once at the beginning of P3D session. They are (perhaps) wx-related. And no, they don't get overwritten in the course of a P3D session like ASCA textures do.

I think I should get SF though, their textures look incredible.

Igor

Thanks Igor, i guess ill stick with ASCA for now... Yes the SF textures does look nice but i still want the verity according to the weather that ASCA does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you use SF it does not inject 1 texture for upper and 1 texture for lower. This is what we had up to now. SF seems to inject 8 of each.

It's always been more noticeable with upper clouds I remember OPUS had an option to even turn them off.

Here you can see all the upper textures are all different and that's very nice to see. No copy and paste/repeat that I hated.

xxx.jpg

 

Here you can see the sets for upper as you see it seems to use 8.

sf-clouds2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

and sky textures? Are they also weather dependent like asca?

Perhaps, but not Dynamic like ASCA, at least if you use them with ASP4 my understanding is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

AS with cloud draw distance set to 200 miles with very little hit on FPS SF with "Enhanced Overcast Clouds Bases turned ON. FL340

112.jpg


114.jpg


115.jpg

 

Thanks for posting.

I posted my question below in another forum not realising it was a FSX forum.

I’ve been trying to gather information reading through the forums about how well SF and AS work together since REX stated that they spent a lot of time making sure SF was compatible with other 3rd party WX engines. Unfortunately I see too many posts of only negativity from people who haven’t even bought it yet so I stop reading any further.

My first question is about texture performance.. I fly mainly in VR so performance is a major factor and in the past I’ve chosen one basic soft cloud texture just to keep up FPS in cloudy stormy weather. If I chose a nice white fluffy thunderstorm (non soft cloud) texture from REX’s textures direct my FPS takes a dive.

Second question.. relates to using AS as the WX engine. Has REX made SF compatible enough with AS that it will inject the appropriate cloud textures into the sim on the fly just like ASCA. (That’s really cool technology) I don’t really know how this works, but do you think SF randomly throws in a cloud texture or is AS calling for a particular texture from SF based on what WX is forecast.

I saw a post last night with pictures from a flight (NWWW to YSSY) that showed some very nice storm cloud build ups which I’ve never been able to achieve before because I’ve needed to use only one basic cumulus FPS friendly texture.

Another problem I have with AS & P3Dv4.1 is if I tick the Cloud Structures box in AS settings I loose all low level clouds and need to reinstall P3D again to get them back so I leave this feature unchecked. I’m hoping AS and SF will still work great without the structures box being ticked. I assume structures has a lot to do with the storm build ups appearance.

Thanks

IM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I start ASPv4 and ASCA auto starts. I then close ASCA and then start SF. Then start P3D. I also turned all option off in ASCA just to make sure.

As an high flyer FSL/NG being able to use cloud draw at 200 is a sim changer. I hated the 110 mile bubble I had.

Your shots are great and this 200 Nm visibility option is definitely worth trying. But why not leave ASCA running with only "Sky Textures" option enabled ? In this way one can benefit form the sky textures variety that ASCA provides and at the same time use AS16 as weather engine and RSF as cloud textures with the Sync textures option enabled... 

 

Ezio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Eziocin said:

Your shots are great and this 200 Nm visibility option is definitely worth trying. But why not leave ASCA running with only "Sky Textures" option enabled ? In this way one can benefit form the sky textures variety that ASCA provides and at the same time use AS16 as weather engine and RSF as cloud textures with the Sync textures option enabled... 

 

Ezio

For me SF replaces ASCA, I don’t want them trying to work together. As you can see AS + SF work well imo I don’t want to add anything else in the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Iceman2 said:

 

 

Thanks for posting.

I posted my question below in another forum not realising it was a FSX forum.

I’ve been trying to gather information reading through the forums about how well SF and AS work together since REX stated that they spent a lot of time making sure SF was compatible with other 3rd party WX engines. Unfortunately I see too many posts of only negativity from people who haven’t even bought it yet so I stop reading any further.

My first question is about texture performance.. I fly mainly in VR so performance is a major factor and in the past I’ve chosen one basic soft cloud texture just to keep up FPS in cloudy stormy weather. If I chose a nice white fluffy thunderstorm (non soft cloud) texture from REX’s textures direct my FPS takes a dive.

Second question.. relates to using AS as the WX engine. Has REX made SF compatible enough with AS that it will inject the appropriate cloud textures into the sim on the fly just like ASCA. (That’s really cool technology) I don’t really know how this works, but do you think SF randomly throws in a cloud texture or is AS calling for a particular texture from SF based on what WX is forecast.

I saw a post last night with pictures from a flight (NWWW to YSSY) that showed some very nice storm cloud build ups which I’ve never been able to achieve before because I’ve needed to use only one basic cumulus FPS friendly texture.

Another problem I have with AS & P3Dv4.1 is if I tick the Cloud Structures box in AS settings I loose all low level clouds and need to reinstall P3D again to get them back so I leave this feature unchecked. I’m hoping AS and SF will still work great without the structures box being ticked. I assume structures has a lot to do with the storm build ups appearance.

Thanks

IM

I would suggest you don’t try using ASCA with SF.

I tried using it with Rex soft clouds but ASCA works best with itself or envtext.

Use AS with SF, set textures within SF at DTX5 and a res of 512. You then should be fine.

I don’t see better FPS than AS , ASCA plus soft clouds but with SF I can go from a cloud draw distance of 110 to 200 with minimal effect on FPS.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I would suggest you don’t try using ASCA with SF.

I tried using it with Rex soft clouds but ASCA works best with itself or envtext.

Use AS with SF, set textures within SF at DTX5 and a res of 512. You then should be fine.

I don’t see better FPS than AS , ASCA plus soft clouds but with SF I can go from a cloud draw distance of 110 to 200 with minimal effect on FPS.

Thanks Nyxx,

From what I’m gathering from other folks SF is not injecting into AS on the fly like ASCA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Iceman2 said:

Thanks Nyxx,

Is SF injecting into AS on the fly just like ASCA.

I have no idea how they work together that’s a question for Rex, they said SF will work with other weather engines and it seems to work very well as you can see. SF looks and performs imo very well. To have a draw distance of 200 miles with full over cast and I use SSAAx4, to me is worth the price just for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nyxx said:

I have no idea how they work together that’s a question for Rex, they said SF will work with other weather engines and it seems to work very well as you can see. SF looks and performs imo very well. To have a draw distance of 200 miles with full over cast to be is worth the price just for that.

I agree there. 200 miles is a massive bonus. Hope I don’t loose FPS when in VR.

I might have to tell the kids the family holiday is over early (due to weather) and return home to try out SF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I would suggest you don’t try using ASCA with SF.

I tried using it with Rex soft clouds but ASCA works best with itself or envtext.

Use AS with SF, set textures within SF at DTX5 and a res of 512. You then should be fine.

I don’t see better FPS than AS , ASCA plus soft clouds but with SF I can go from a cloud draw distance of 110 to 200 with minimal effect on FPS.

Those pics are incredible looking and consistent with what I'm also doing using AS with SF. This business about ASCA's  'dynamic' mode is a bit overblown. Why? Because unlike SF's weather program AS fairly seamlessly incorporates the multiple and varied cloud textures per the various weather patterns and conditions. In fact, flying yesterday all I saw was AS and SF working in tandem in a seamless weather experience going from a  heavy clouds and precipitation situation to moderate cloud cover. In this I see no difference in using the dynamic mode of ASCA such that it would cause me to go back. Perceptually I see no effect that differs visually wise. I  have never liked the cloud textures in ASCA nor ENVTEX either.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I would suggest you don’t try using ASCA with SF.

I tried using it with Rex soft clouds but ASCA works best with itself or envtext.

Use AS with SF, set textures within SF at DTX5 and a res of 512. You then should be fine.

I don’t see better FPS than AS , ASCA plus soft clouds but with SF I can go from a cloud draw distance of 110 to 200 with minimal effect on FPS.

if  you  want  to use  asca   make sure  you untick  all the  texture boxes  don t know  if  it  will work, but  iam  with  you   i use  as16  with sf  and  turn  off  asca

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I have no idea how they work together that’s a question for Rex, they said SF will work with other weather engines and it seems to work very well as you can see. SF looks and performs imo very well. To have a draw distance of 200 miles with full over cast and I use SSAAx4, to me is worth the price just for that.

Indeed that sounds very  promising :biggrin:

 

David are you having ASP4 and SF on the same PC ? I have ASP4 on a network PC and would like SF to be installed on the Master PC where the sim is installed

 

Thanks

Michael Moe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Indeed that sounds very  promising :biggrin:

 

David are you having ASP¤ and SF on the same PC ? I have ASP4 on a network PC and would like SF to be installed on the Master PC where the sim is installed

 

Thanks

Michael Moe

All on the same PC Michael.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Nyxx

Following this thread with great interest

Will dual use ie ASP4 and SF together -stop these “jumps” we are all noticing and ignoring as weather scenarios change during a flight?

xxd09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear:

  1. SkyForce 3D does injects cloud models and structures dynamically!
  2. SkyForce 3D doesn't inject textures dynamically!
  3. Cloud textures are chosen by a static set, which consists of 8 cumulus and 8 cirrus clouds.
  4. Sky textures within SkyForce 3D is - like sky and cloud - chosen from a static set. There is however the option to choose a 10-day set (I don't really know how it chooses which texture in this option) and that works very nice, IMO.

Dynamic texture injection is for REX's upcoming addon; EnvironmentForce, to do.

As far as I've witnessed, AS16 with SkyForce works extremely well. I would - if at all possible - avoid using ASCA in that combination!

Thanks for the tip, @Nyxx. I will try using the 200nm cloud draw distance when I have a chance. Is that set in AS16 and in Prepar3D, then?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

xxd09

Please allow me to give a little insight here.

First to answer you question, When using ASP4 as the weather engine it, as its always been gives perfect seamless weather for that alone it's the best weather engine we have available. Working with SF makes no difference and the two work beautifully together as hopefully you can see.

I would like to point out....

The SF built in weather engine with SF is better. I have never seen skies and clouds look so good but looks is very subjective and personal. So the screenshots you see would be even more stunning if I used SF weather engine. But sadly the redraw kills it. If anyone does not understand what redraw is, we had it until AS came along and did away with it. Without AS what happens is you sim is injected with a weather after you have been flying, lets say its overcast.......you see an end to the overcast cloud cover and think your coming to clearer skies. Then you get a redraw and the sky ahead then becomes overcast again. Not nice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...