Sign in to follow this  
whamil77

PA31-350 Chieftain Mod v1.0 beta

I am finishing up a modification to the Alabeo PA31-350 Navajo Chieftain.  Having considerable experience in Navajos, I can say the Alabeo simulation as well as the Carenado PA31 simulation is quite good.  In fact good enough that I wanted to get them even closer to reality. The PA31-310 will come later. 

The mod will work with the default Alabeo G600 or the Flight1 G600.  Panel files are included for both.  The modifications are so extensive that the original release should be considered a beta and users are encouraged to give feedback to help improve future updates.  

Highlights are as follows.

1. Completely rebuilt STEC 55X Autopilot.  I have brought it as close to the manufacturer's operating manual as P3D will let me get.  (STEC 55X Manual included).

2. Added an optional King KFC-225 Autopilot.  It is a great deal more sophisticated than the STEC with GA mode and a yaw damper.  I have also completely redone this autopilot to bring it as close to the King KFC-225 operating manual as P3D will let me get. (King manual included.)

puFjXPd.png

69yuU9r.png

3. Reworked the fuel system to function correctly.  Crossfeed works properly instead of shutting both engines down.  Fuel tanks can be changed without the engine immediately shutting down (provided you turned the fuel pump on per the POH).

4. Reworked the fuel indicating system to function correctly.  Fuel level indicators follow the fuel selector.  If you run an aux tank dry the engine will quit.  

OOBbljT.jpg

pMIINDP.png

5. Corrected the annunciator panel to show main and baggage door ajar warnings.

TD599ND.png

6.   Reworked sound file to operate properly as constant speed props.  Also includes a new optional sound file that I think is scary accurate. 

7.  New night panel textures to coincide with a realistic lighting level.

8.  Minor FDE changes to enhance immersion. 

9.  Landing gear fix.  There have been instances where the nose and right main landing gear did not extend far enough to lock resulting in collapse on landing even with "3 green" showing.  That is corrected.

10  Optional throttle and prop matching algorithm.  Most don't use it but it's included for those why may have noisy hardware controllers. 

There may be some other things that I have forgotten as I have been working on this for a while.  For those who are already on my mailing list there is no need to PM me.  You will receive the mod by email.  For those who are not on my list (you haven't sent me your email address and you haven't received any of my other mods), if you would like to try this one out send me a PM with your email address.  It should be ready in the next couple of days. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 10

This mod looks really great--looking forward to receiving it. Thanks for all your work and I am enjoying your other a\c modifications!

Ray

Thanks for your work!

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Hi Bill,

Now THAT’s what I’m talk’n about...

While I don’t have this one yet - I’m sorely tempted now - your work vastly improves the other models I do have -  thanks so much for your time, effort, and sharing... Greatly appreciated - sir...

Truly still loving my Cheyenne II...

Looking forward to your Navajo...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hey, got to say I really like the way the systems behave with this mod. However, I'm struggling something fierce to get the engines started. I'm following the standard procedures (throttle a little forward, mixture primed 6 seconds then cutoff, props full forward, magnetos on, starter on, advance mixture), but it just spins and stops again. Fuel in the tanks, fuel selector on inboard tank, and the fuel valves are open. What on earth am I missing to start the aircraft? I always end up using the ready for taxi preset in the end... Need help from some professionals on this :)

Edited by Tivec

Have you tried cycling the fuel selector?  Every Carabeo airplane I have requires the fuel selector be cycled before it will cold start.

HTH and good luck,

Greg

The other possibility for failures to start with Carenado/Alabeo aircraft is your default flight.  It is best to save the default flight as the stock Cessna 172SP, everything turned off except for the fuel selector and shut-off lever, which should be set to "both tanks" and the shut-off should be in to allow fuel to flow to the engine.  If this flight is saved with the selector at a position other than "both" or the shut-off is pulled out, add-on aircraft may not start due to their reliance on the stock MicroSoft fuel system and the state of the aircraft in the default flight.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

12 hours ago, lownslo said:

Have you tried cycling the fuel selector?  Every Carabeo airplane I have requires the fuel selector be cycled before it will cold start.

HTH and good luck,

Greg

5 hours ago, stans said:

The other possibility for failures to start with Carenado/Alabeo aircraft is your default flight.  It is best to save the default flight as the stock Cessna 172SP, everything turned off except for the fuel selector and shut-off lever, which should be set to "both tanks" and the shut-off should be in to allow fuel to flow to the engine.  If this flight is saved with the selector at a position other than "both" or the shut-off is pulled out, add-on aircraft may not start due to their reliance on the stock MicroSoft fuel system and the state of the aircraft in the default flight.

I'm on Prepared V4.2, and I have not had this issue with other Carenado aircraft. I'm going to give the fuel selector a try next time I fire up the simulator, see if cycling it fixes the issue.

Great modifications significantly improving the systems on the Chieftain and also giving it some awesome sounds making flying the Alabeo Chieftain a much more immersive experience! Highly recommended mods for anyone who owns the Chieftain.

Bill

Bill,

Thank you very much for putting this modification together. So far it works perfectly with Flight1 GTN750 and new GNS600. The AP modification and sound is great and makes it a pleasure to fly! It is simmers like you that make this hobby very special, thank you!

Bob

+1

Likewise,   very enjoyable,  agree the new F1GNS600 is also a good add-on.

bob