Headley

Starting order for P3D & AS?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Stupid question, but anyway:

Starting order, first Active Sky then P3D or the other way around?

Does it care if you change the startup logic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Either way works.  But if you start AS first it will begin it's first weather update immediately after the scenario loads.  That can prevent YOU causing a problem by you manually interrupting something like the initial loading of a complex aircraft like a PMDG.  While the PMDG aircraft is initializing, you aren't supposed to be pressing any keys on your keyboard, playing with the mouse or joystick, etc.  But if you loaded AS first, it will then automatically start it's weather update (you don't have to manually "start" it) without interfering with the PMDG initialization.  In many cases, they will both finish at just about the same time, and you are ready to go then. NOTE:  If you are using REX SkyForce with AS, start SkyForce first, then AS, then P3D.  Normally you will want to start P3D last, but there are some exceptions, like if you use Radar Contact for ATC, you would start that AFTER loading your flight in P3D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks both,

But i had (not always, even rare but it happens) a warning from AS telling me that the sim must be restarted to load the AS-module properly (or something like that).  That's why i thought AS must be loaded first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Headley said:

Thanks both,

But i had (not always, even rare but it happens) a warning from AS telling me that the sim must be restarted to load the AS-module properly (or something like that).  That's why i thought AS must be loaded first?

Make sure you're running both "as administrator".

I also start ASP4 first, then P4D (then load FSL/PMDG etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I start first REX Sky Force without weather engine, then P3D and select aircraft. After that launch ASP4 with ASCA for dynamic skies.

Only when using FSL A320, after a while, ASP4 panel is frozen and can't use it although weather is updating without problems.

Anyone else with this freezing issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, tumtiddle said:

Make sure you're running both "as administrator".

Always start everything "as admin".

I had my previous mentioned "error" even when P4D was not even running (only once, and as said very rare)!  

Will continue starting AS first, then all the rest.  

Thanks everyone for advice...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OpenATC

Virtual airline app

ASv4 auto start ASCA(ASCA to use skies from Envtex) 

Load flight plan into AS (even though it can be done auto)

Start SF

Open task manager (w7)

Start P3D

Kick everything above off core 0 apart from P3D.

Close Task manager

Go fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Kick everything above off core 0 apart from P3D.

Hmm, not sure what you mean by this.

I'm a beginner when it comes to moving things in the taskmanager (except closing apps when it "hangs").

Where and what should i move then?

Thanks ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason to first start AS may be that in case you choose to set your plane on the active runway it will be the correct one. If you load a scenario before you loaded the weather there is a big change you end up on the wrong end of the runway. I have to add that I am not entirely sure how and when the sim chooses the active runway but well, it seems logical to me to first start the AS. I also always load AS before loading for instance ProATC: you want ProATC to know the weather is has to deal with. The same goes for PFPX. In short, always keep AS at or near the top of your loading list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Headley said:

Hmm, not sure what you mean by this.

I'm a beginner when it comes to moving things in the taskmanager (except closing apps when it "hangs").

Where and what should i move then?

Thanks ...

You right click on the app running and set the affinity if you have a 4 core with HT On you will have 0-8 and all the apps above will have a tick in them all.

I untick the top box core 0 on apps listed above plus UTL chaseplane SODE navigraph. 

This stops them all running on core 0 leaving P3D and windows to fill its boots on core 0.

That gives me a stutter free sim. I tried an AM for P3D all gave me stutter. Also Prosser lasso no matter what I tried also =stutter. The TM way gives perfect texture loading and stutter free sim to me on my PC.

You don't move anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

You right click on the app running and set the affinity if you have a 4 core with HT On you will have 0-8 and all the apps above will have a tick in them all.

I untick the top box core 0 on apps listed above plus UTL chaseplane SODE navigraph. 

This stops them all running on core 0 leaving P3D and windows to fill its boots on core 0.

That gives me a stutter free sim. I tried an AM for P3D all gave me stutter. Also Prosser lasso no matter what I tried also =stutter. The TM way gives perfect texture loading and stutter free sim to me on my PC.

You don't move anything. 

what works for me  i set P3D affinity on core 0 and all the others are on core 1,2,3 . HT off. never had any issues .

henry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now