suchw

P3d4 on system ssd only, anyone have that

Hi

Due to shocking load times i am going to completely uninstall p3d and reinstall on the system ssd on windows 10, anybody else doing that i cant see it causing an issue

Thanks

Wayne

As long as you assign its own folder outside of C:\Programfiles you are good. Putting it on C:\P3D4 would work just fine.

Vic

I have an 500GB SSD with W10 and P3D utilitys (AS, UTL etc.) and 1TB SSD only for P3D and Scenery, running well so far.

I have a 1TB SSD with a C:\ partition of 194GB and D:\ partition of 758GB. Everything on D: except Win10. All OK.

HTH

Edited by Richard McDonald Woods

My system is like that, everything installed on a .M2 Key SSD driver, no problems at all :)

Regards,
Simbol

I have a single SSD with everything on, including P3DV4 (it's even in the Program Files folder, which causes absolutely no issues, despite all the naysayers on this forum).

Everything on C drive will not be a problem, but avoid going beyond 85% capacity if possible on an SSD, I have windows only on my M2 c drive P3D on my D: 1TB SSD drive, I got in the habit of doing this in the past as the C drive will fill as you install programs outside your windows drive some elements will go on C drive just as flight sims do.

PS my D drive is excluded form my AV scans. 

Edited by rjfry

I would never exclude anything from AV scans..

It is not advisable, specially with recent news of malware being installed with programs that were legitimate.

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, simbol said:

I would never exclude anything from AV scans..

It is not advisable, specially with recent news of malware being installed with programs that were legitimate.

Simbol 

Excluding the Activesky and FSUIPC dll files and others that run along side p3d is not a security risk

3 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

Excluding the Activesky and FSUIPC dll files and others that run along side p3d is not a security risk

You are wrong.. viruses, malware and adware can come from many different sources and they can hide themselves on drives that are "Excluded" from your AV scans, once they manage to get in your AV will not prevent their execution since you have explicitly exclude them and "white listed" their behaviour.

S.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, simbol said:

You are wrong.. viruses, malware and adware can come from many different sources and they can hide themselves on drives that are "Excluded" from your AV scans, once they manage to get in your AV will not prevent their execution since you have explicitly exclude them and "white listed" their behaviour.

S.

If you get a virus called as_connect_64.dll that is a dedicated hacker

Excluding the P3D folder from read/write realtime scans is just fine and will help prevent stutters and other problems on many systems. When doing a system scan, include everything.

The best approach is to thoroughly scan any new program after install. Prevent the problem BEFORE it gets installed rather than finding out after.

Although there are lots of hackers out there doing bad things, they really are not targeting individual systems. Depending on where you download from and the type of websites you visit, the chances of getting a virus or serious malware pushed to your system are very slim. 

Anyhow - let's keep this on topic for the OP.

Vic

50 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

If you get a virus called as_connect_64.dll that is a dedicated hacker

That is not even funny - that dll is required by ASP4 for weather and is not a virus.

Vic

You folks who have installed P3D on your system drive, what do you when Windows goes tits up, or the drive itself refuses to work properly, as mine did awhile ago?  Luckily, I had P3D installed on its own SSD, along with all the addon sceneries, and neither required reinstallation after my system drive was repaired.

24 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

That is not even funny - that dll is required by ASP4 for weather and is not a virus.

Vic

That was the joke...if a virus really spoofs a specific dll from ActiveSky then we are dealing with a very persistent hacker.

1 hour ago, StewartH said:

You folks who have installed P3D on your system drive, what do you when Windows goes tits up, or the drive itself refuses to work properly, as mine did awhile ago?  Luckily, I had P3D installed on its own SSD, along with all the addon sceneries, and neither required reinstallation after my system drive was repaired.

That's what drive imaging software is for.  I started doing semi-weekly full image backups after "upgrading" from Win 7 to Win 10.  I started this after my first experience with an auto-installed Win10 update that included a Microsoft bug that broke the sim and wasn't fixed for over two months.  The backup saved me later when Win 10 installed a buggy new nVidia driver that completely borked my SLI configuration.  Imaging a single combined Windows/P3D drive is actually simpler than doing what I have to do with three SSDs.

FWIW, I use O&O DriveImage and an external 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro to keep the last 4 backups plus the current one.  Takes ~3 hrs to back up and verify the three SSDs on my flight sim server (OS is on a 256GB SSD, P3D and FSX are on separate 1TB SSDs, all Samsung 850 Pros).

Regards

Thank you, Bob, for your reply.  That makes sense and is what my computer tech suggested after my near disaster.  I still don't think it accomplishes much to have the flight sim and Windows on the same drive and never have thought so.  The chances of total loss don't make me comfortable.

It's a matter of personal preference. Properly installed, there is no benefit or problem having them both on the same ssd. Both on the same HDD could cause a slight performance hit.

Vic

2 hours ago, StewartH said:

Luckily, I had P3D installed on its own SSD, along with all the addon sceneries, and neither required reinstallation after my system drive was repaired.

How did you sort out the missing registry entries?

Everything that is download onto my PC is scanned by my AV, I do not disable my AV when downloading anything.   

Good question.  I should have clarified that.  Of course, there was some re-installation required, but it wasn't extensive, since non-Orbx scenery was in an addon folder and only needed to be reinstalled into the sim, and not reinstalled onto the computer.  P3D required a reinstall, but it was easy, since I had the original zip files.  And Orbx was easy, because FTX Central found all its stuff on the FSX drive.  So technically there was some re-installation necessary, but no re-downloads from the net.  But the system drive being hosed did not itself hose my FSX drive nor my P3D drive, I guess was the point.  My apologies for my own confusion on the point.