SpiritFlyer

Small(er) GA AI in P3Dv4

Recommended Posts

Hello Ya'll, 🚻

Yesterday I enjoyed meeting with our local flight sim club here in southeast New Brunswick! I had a question I was saving up for my fellow geeks, but no one could answer.

Therefore, I will ask you.

First: I have P3D v4 (Almost 500g worth on a separate 1T SSD), on up-to-date windows 10 (Home), 4.9 Mhz 2700K CPU, 16G RAM, 1080 GTX (with latest drivers) running 25% OC (Afterburner), 55 inch 4K curved Samsung as monitor, all well cooled etc, without hardware issues and really good performance.

My latest software acquisition is a great software program that really modernizes my AI suite with advanced models and AI sounds. Love it! However, small GA is reduced to small business jets sort of thing. There is narry a Cessna 150 or Beechcraft Bonanza to be found. Obviously all the small AI stuff disappeared when I installed, and uninstalled (several times) a newly available program, or just previous to that uninstalled Ultimate Traffic 2 (a la Poppet).

Question:

Is there a AI GA program that will not interfere with my present "Airline" AI program? Can I just add some general aviation program (that I am unaware of) to populate my small airports. On a side note, I notice that ORBX does not offer its great GA program for North America for P3Dv4 (v3 and earlier is available), so maybe 64 bit is a problem. 

Hope this is a bit clearer than mud and not too boring to bother with. 😎

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Steven, I have the ORBX NA airport pack in FTX Central for Prepar3d4. Not installed, but it's there. Maybe you forgot to add it as you have to add freeware manually.

Kind regards, Michael

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

AIG has a plethora of models and flightplans for GA including an extensive Bizjet section.  

I'm sure you can add AI separate of whatever software you bought.  Probably best to keep your GA AI models and flightplans in a separate location then the payware.   Then just point the sim to the folders.  Or add via .xml method.  

Orbx FTX AU AI package you are referring to is for Australia only but the GA models and aircraft are very nice and can be used separately after downloading.   In fact HTAI payware Cessna package is included in this FTX package so its a nice to have.  

http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/

https://aibizjetproject.weebly.com/

 

Edited by jason99vmi

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, jason99vmi said:

Orbx FTX AU AI package you are referring to is for Australia only but the GA models and aircraft are very nice and can be used separately after downloading.   

There are two ORBX packages, one for AU/NZ and one for NA.

Kind regards, Michael

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, pmb said:

There are two ORBX packages, one for AU/NZ and one for NA.

Kind regards, Michael

Not for P3D v4 though.   Only the AI AU/NZ works in v4 last I saw.  

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

The ORBX NA traffic only really added traffic to the west coast FTX areas, but you can still use it in V4 by using the models included in the ORBX AU AI V4 pack. It's a simple enough swap as it's just the models.

For bizjets etc, you can also bring in the Ultimate GA, Gulfstream, Global Express etc as many of those models have been converted for free by some of the guys over at AIG. As above, it's just a matter of swapping the models over.

 

Edited by Dave_YVR
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Can I just add some general aviation program (that I am unaware of) to populate my small airports. 😎

 

I use FSX GA-Traffic by Markus Brunner.  Creates a .bgl file that is placed in your sim's Scenery/World/scenery folder and works a peach!  You must find your own AI GA aircraft... I found a few just perusing sim websites, and I bought the HTAI payware Cessna and Piper packages.  Is very nice to go to my local GA airport and have active AI traffic (although sometimes they do the dumbest things! 😁).  I've been using the same .bgl file in FSX for the past couple of years, and it also works fine in P3Dv4.

FSX GA-Traffic is here: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1671/fsx-ga-traffic/

HTH,

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, jason99vmi said:

Not for P3D v4 though.   Only the AI AU/NZ works in v4 last I saw.  

I have the NA pack for Prepar3d4 in FTX Central. It's under North America/OTHER.

Kind regards, Michael

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, pmb said:

I have the NA pack for Prepar3d4 in FTX Central. It's under North America/OTHER.

Kind regards, Michael

NA Airport pack (FTX enhanced airports)...yes.  AI models, traffic flightplans for NA...no.  They haven't done it for v4 yet.  i really hope they do.  Their GA models for the AU/NZ pack are a nice set.  

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, jason99vmi said:

NA Airport pack (FTX enhanced airports)...yes.  AI models, traffic flightplans for NA...no.  They haven't done it for v4 yet.  i really hope they do.  Their GA models for the AU/NZ pack are a nice set.  

Sorry, you are right. I see am getting old.

Kind regards, Michael

Share this post


Link to post

What about Europe? Which GA AI for the old continent?

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I use FSX GA-Traffic by Markus Brunner.  Creates a .bgl file that is placed in your sim's Scenery/World/scenery folder and works a peach!  You must find your own AI GA aircraft... I found a few just perusing sim websites, and I bought the HTAI payware Cessna and Piper packages.  Is very nice to go to my local GA airport and have active AI traffic (although sometimes they do the dumbest things! 😁).  I've been using the same .bgl file in FSX for the past couple of years, and it also works fine in P3Dv4.

FSX GA-Traffic is here: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1671/fsx-ga-traffic/

HTH,

Greg

This is a very interesting looking app. I haven't tried this before. How did you install in P3Dv4? Did you just generate the Traffic-GA.bgl file in FSX and then copy over to the P3Dv4, along with any necessary plane files? Or did you point the app to P3Dv4 using the FSX path in the app's set up screen, and then generate?

I'm sorry if these are rather newbie questions, I'm somewhat new at all this. 

Thanks - Bob 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BBCM said:

Did you just generate the Traffic-GA.bgl file in FSX and then copy over to the P3Dv4, along with any necessary plane files?

Yep, this was my solution.  I already had the bgl working in FSX and simply copied it and the AI aircraft files over to P3D.  But I would think that if you have an FSX.exe file that you could drop into P3D it would work too... the file structure is so similar between the two sims.  You might even get it to work by renaming a simple text file "FSX.exe".  Point the app at the FSX.exe and let it rip!

Good luck,

Greg

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the reply Greg. I ask because I did the same when I was porting over Traffic360 to P3Dv4. But with Traffic360, you have to rename the FSX Traffic360 ai-traffic.bgl so it replaces the default P3Dv4 trafficAircraft.bgl..

Did you have to rename the FSX Traffic-GA.bgl to get it to work in P3Dv4, or did you just copy and paste as is?

Thanks - Bob 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi guys

I have installed GA Traffic and used a migration tool to place the bgl into P3D, but GA Traffic does not show any aircraft. It creates a bgl file of 1kb. Anyone got any ideas on how it can find the P3D aircraft?

Thanks

John

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BBCM said:

Did you have to rename the FSX Traffic-GA.bgl to get it to work in P3Dv4, or did you just copy and paste as is?

I did a copy and paste... it was easy as that.

 

1 hour ago, johnbla said:

It creates a bgl file of 1kb.

For reference, the bgl file I'm currently using is 31.6MB.  What are you using for AI aircraft and does the application see them?

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, lownslo said:

For reference, the bgl file I'm currently using is 31.6MB.  What are you using for AI aircraft and does the application see them?

 Hi, I am using the stock P3D aircraft. When I click the aircraft tab in GA Traffic nothing appears so the application is not seeing them.

Share this post


Link to post

If you are not that picky regarding registrations on the GA textures, you can easily use the ORBX GA traffic world wide using a configurable traffic addon. Thats what I do. I simply reassigned the full UT2 GA database to those ORBX models and now I have them flying around all over the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, johnbla said:

 Hi, I am using the stock P3D aircraft. When I click the aircraft tab in GA Traffic nothing appears so the application is not seeing them.

Same here.

I guess I am as dumb as a bag of boots, but do not know how to do this whatsoever.

Found the FSX Traffic-GA program downloaded, pointed at P3Dv4, ran it and there are no GA showing up in the P3d root files, or when sim is running.

Getting old...

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

Edited by SpiritFlyer
Can't seem to spell very good!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Same here.

I guess I am as dumb as a bag of boots, but do not know how to do this whatsoever.

Found the FSX Traffic-GA program downloaded, pointed at P3Dv4, ran it and there are no GA showing up in the P3d root files, or when sim is running.

Getting old...

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

No, there's no way I can see of just pointing FSX Traffic-GA at P3Dv4 and letting it run.. 

 You have to set it up and compile completely in FSX first. Once done, you then copy the resulting Traffic-GA.bgl from FSX's scenery/world/scenery folder over to P3Dv4's scenery/world/scenery folder. 

This requires that you have a working copy of FSX installed as well as P3Dv4.

But while this is an interesting app, for me it's going to take a lot of work to get it properly working in FSX, much less P3Dv4. The problem is the auto plane scan for ai suitable planes. It seems to take everything under a certain weight. The author in his read me said he didn't have much payware. But I have a lot. The scan was choosing all of my Alebo's, Carenado's, A2A accusim GA's, Global ai shipping ships, etc, etc.

Because of the file size and complexity of some of these planes, I would probably get CTD's if the app tried to use them for ai. And of course, you can't use the non-plane vehicles.

So this would mean a fair amount of work on my part going through Traffic-GA's plane list  and de-activationg all the items unsuitable for ai planes. More work than I really want to spend at the present time.

I was hoping the ai plane scan would have a manual component that would allow me to browse and select specific folders or files.

But it's still a very interesting app.  Maybe some time when I'm feeling less lazy, I'll go through and set it up properly. 

Thanks again to Greg for bringing the app to my attention.

- Bob 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by BBCM
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

It has been a couple of years since I last used this app, and then it was with FSX.  I just installed it on my system again, this time with only P3Dv4 installed.  I had the same problems everyone else has had... the app won't read my sim's airports, and it won't see my installed aircraft.  The scenery read issue is easy to resolve... just remove the "objects.dat" file from the FSX GA-Traffic directory, and then restart the app.  It will then read all the scenery directories in your sim and create another objects.dat.

The issue with the app interrogating for installed GA aircraft is the killer.  I too have been unsuccessful at getting the app to read any of my aircraft.  I have an FSX,exe in my main P3Dv4 folder, but no joy.  All of the AI that were installed in my FSX are also installed in P3Dv4; didn't help at all.  That v4 is a 64bit app is not a problem because all the AI aircraft I had in FSX were simply copied over to P3Dv4.  No matter what I've tried the app will not see any of my installed aircraft in P3Dv4.

I agree with Bob that one must have a working FSX installed... somewhere.  Then the app would create the Traffic-GA.bgl that is required (and as well one would want to copy their AI GA aircraft over to P3Dv4... more on this below).

2 hours ago, BBCM said:

But while this is an interesting app, for me it's going to take a lot of work to get it properly working in FSX, much less P3Dv4. The problem is the auto plane scan for ai suitable planes. It seems to take everything under a certain weight. The author in his read me said he didn't have much payware. But I have a lot. The scan was choosing all of my Alebo's, Carenado's, A2A accusim GA's, Global ai shipping ships, etc, etc.

It's quite easy to exclude any GA aircraft you wish not to use as AI.  Additionally, I learned not to include payware aircraft as AI.  Even when using the app's "Make AI" feature (which converts non AI aircraft into low-poly AI), the file size of the aircraft can be excessive if you wish to have a fair amount of GA AI traffic.  I limited my AI candidates to HTAI (perfect for this application), low-poly freeware GA aircraft that were then run through the Make AI feature, and the standard low poly (by today's standards) FSX stock aircraft like the 172, 208, Bravo.

Hopefully someone will figure out how to force the app to read the aircraft installed in P3Dv4, then the app will be quite useful.  I really enjoy flying with what FSX Traffic-GA has allowed me to create.  I fly GA only and own many of the ORBX offerings... their parked aircraft and the bgl created by FSX Traffic-GA make my airports alive and busy.

Greg

Edited by lownslo
Cuz I'm still learnin to spel

Share this post


Link to post

Hi guys, thanks to all those who have provided some important information re this app, especially Iownslo and BBCM. 

I have P3D v4 only installed on my system. Can I reinstall FSX and then run GA Traffic, being careful to only use the aircraft that are common to FSX and P3D and then just copy the bgl file over to P3D? 

Also, I see references to HTAI. Could someone please enlighten me on what this is.

Many thanks

John

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now