Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chapstick

Why do so many scenery developers not include uninstallers?

Recommended Posts

I have no idea how the concept of including an uninstaller has befuddled so many add-on developers, but here I am in 2018 manually hunting down scenery folders to remove payware products made by developers who should know better.

I genuinely don't understand their thought process.

 

  • Upvote 1

-Alex 

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

I have no idea how the concept of including an uninstaller has befuddled so many add-on developers, but here I am in 2018 manually hunting down scenery folders to remove payware products made by developers who should know better.

I genuinely don't understand their thought process.

 

When you disable scenery in the Addons or Scenery Library it is effective removed.  How hard is it to hunt down scenery folders?


Dan Downs KCRP

Share this post


Link to post

I used the uninstaller once from LatinVFR for their KMIA scenery and it deleted my complete Addon Folder with everything in it,  took me weeks to get everything back to normal. So even those that do provide uninstallers for their scenery be careful?

Edited by MartinRex007

Share this post


Link to post

Even with uninstallers, there are often many leftovers. I install all addon scenery in the fake P3D folder, then i move and add them using add-on.xml metod. This way, P3D original files are not touched, and i don't need to worry about P3D upgrades and uninstallers. I also keep a backup of clean original Prepar3d.cfg and other cfg files, since many addons will "tweak" them, so i coppy prepar3d.cfg back every time after new addon install

BTW, you can't track every single file using standard installation, some files are going to scenery/world/scenery, some of them to effects, etc

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Zeljko Budovic

Share this post


Link to post

Great idea!  I might give that I try when P3D v5 is released, might even do it if I have a few free days. 


\Robert Hamlich/

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, lodestar said:

Even with uninstallers, there are often many leftovers. I install all addon scenery in the fake P3D folder, then i move and add them using add-on.xml metod. This way, P3D original files are not touched, and i don't need to worry about P3D upgrades and uninstallers. I also keep a backup of clean original Prepar3d.cfg and other cfg files, since many addons will "tweak" them, so i coppy prepar3d.cfg back every time after new addon install

BTW, you can't track every single file using standard installation, some files are going to scenery/world/scenery, some of them to effects, etc

Could you please share your method in detail. I would also like to do this as well with all my sceneries that don't abide to the add-on.xml method.


ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Could you please share your method in detail. I would also like to do this as well with all my sceneries that don't abide to the add-on.xml method.

Ok, no problem. I'll try to post it tomorow. I can't do it right now becouse it's complicated with some developers, i need some time to choose the right examles of add-on.xml. Some developers are not reading the P3D learning center, or it can be complicated becouse of config app, libraries etc.

  • Like 1

Zeljko Budovic

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, lodestar said:

Ok, no problem. I'll try to post it tomorow. I can't do it right now becouse it's complicated with some developers, i need some time to choose the right examles of add-on.xml. Some developers are not reading the P3D learning center, or it can be complicated becouse of config app, libraries etc.

No problem, thanks!


ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Share this post


Link to post

Just a update - I didn't have time today, but i'm definitely going to do it in the next few days. Sorry for this, something unexpected happened


Zeljko Budovic

Share this post


Link to post

It's okay. 🙂


ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...