Sign in to follow this  
joemiller

PMDG Expansion 747-8 or QW 787

How robust is the autopilot in the QW787? The autopilot in the Avro RJ can best be described as "flimsy".

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

37 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I would choose 787 simply because they are both good and the 787 gives you far more real world flight options - if that’s your thing (I only fly real world routes/aircraft other than subbing in historical aircraft sometimes).

I think with cargo 747 routes in the mix, there are at least as many r/w route options as the 787--particularly shorter legs.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, Chock said:

but you really need to step away from the Kool Aid. 😉

with this statement you prove your position as totally delusional. No person or company except God Himself has me in the palm, and I speak out either for or against as I see the plain facts. 

One of several problems with your Majestic position is the practicality of simply taxiing the plane, yes very realistic, but so foolish to attempt in a PC sim for all kinds of users. PMDG could make the steering tiller necessary by use of a mouse (grab and drag) to taxi, but as a practical service to customers they do not force this. Not everybody has or wants an extra controller just to taxi. Customer care (consideration of all potential customers) is very much a part of my advice to the OP.

There is simply no doubt that PMDG is a far superior company and their products are far superior to QW. This true fact makes the question of this topic unneeded except for the purpose of debates of opinion of value.   

Edited by pracines
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

And anyone mentioning IFly and ‘quality’ in the same sentence are also dillusional. 

I don't agree with this statement at all, I think it is all in the reference of the user and what the user is in. Back in my FS9 days I had the Ifly 737 and it was probably the most quality airliner that there was for FS9

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I got both. Variety is the spice of life. 

Eric 

25 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

And anyone mentioning IFly and ‘quality’ in the same sentence are also dillusional. 

Completely inaccurate statement.  iFly makes a quality, system depth product.  Period, dot end of story.

As to which product you should get.  Get both, if you can't get the 787 if you have the 747-400.  If you don't have the 747-400 get that over the 787.  The only reason I say this is the 748 and the 744 share the same "role".  Long range bulk cargo/pax flights.  The 787 will fit a different sect of flying for you.  The 748 is a remarkable aircraft and I'll finally get to play around with it today but from my understanding from some other friends that have flown it PMDG actually skipped on modelling certain VNAV features that make the 748 more unique from the 744(Flap speed and
descent deceleration profile point).  So if all you are paying for is the ECL, EFB and a larger airframe might want to go with the 787 just to broaden your Flight Sim fleet unless you can afford both.  

• Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

43 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

I don't agree with this statement at all, I think it is all in the reference of the user and what the user is in. Back in my FS9 days I had the Ifly 737 and it was probably the most quality airliner that there was for FS9

You said. It. Fs9. The worlds moved on by a decade while IFly are stuck in the past. 

And I never found it that system deep at all. It’s  missing quite a few things. I’d call their 737 and 747 ‘lite’ versions especially compared to pmdg’s products. 

Both of my ‘cheaper’ (you truly do get what you pay for) IFly’s were gladly refunded. Common practise with many others I’ve talked to around the traps and VA’s. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, regis9 said:

I would choose 787 simply because they are both good and the 787 gives you far more real world flight options - if that’s your thing (I only fly real world routes/aircraft other than subbing in historical aircraft sometimes).

I own all of them and i tend to make it the day to call what i am up to . Some times i am so tied from work and need the " just feel and look" without to much fuzz all though i really enjoy realism in a very pro way but sometimes its just what it is :-).

I agree CTD is not a welcome addition to a hard work week coming home friday and just want to fly.

But i wouldnt miss those birds for the world in my sim

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

3 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

You said. It. Fs9. The worlds moved on by a decade while IFly are stuck in the past. 

And I never found it that system deep at all. It’s  missing quite a few things. I’d call their 737 and 747 ‘lite’ versions especially compared to pmdg’s products. 

Both of my ‘cheaper’ (you truly do get what you pay for) IFly’s were gladly refunded. Common practise with many others I’ve talked to around the traps and VA’s. 

Please explain what systems the NGX has over the iFly 737. I'll wait.  Your word not allowed dismissive attitude is showing. I own both. Both are quality products.  In fact the iFly 737 can ACTUALLY navigate an RF Leg while the NGX is incapable of doing so unless it generates numerous imaginary points to create an artificial sense of of a curved leg.  The fact you say you returned the aircraft means you owned it less than 30 days. I'm willing to bet you only gave it a couple legs.  To even suggest that you somehow know the complete depth of a product with such little time in it should already disqualify your uniformed review. Sorry.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

47 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

PMDG actually skipped on modelling certain VNAV features that make the 748 more unique from the 744(Flap speed and descent deceleration profile point).  

Is PMDG going to implement those missing features?

6 minutes ago, J35OE said:

Is PMDG going to implement those missing features?

No idea. I haven't verified they are missing but from what was described to be I have no doubt they are misisng. Was planning on asking later today.  And it's the largest difference between VNAV difference between the legacy and NG FMC.  Makes the 748 more like an MD-11 during intermediate approach than a 744.  

But unlike the performance calculator this has not been mentioned by PMDG at all.  So no idea.

Edited by thibodba57

beta.gif   

My Liveries

12 hours ago, Chock said:

I think one of the important things to consider here, is what do you want to use it for?

I totally agree with this, but my explanation is a little different. In FSX, I had the NGX and their 777. Because of the cost, I didn't get the 777 for P3D, but I did re-buy the NGX. Most of my flight are less than 5 hours, so I didn't get a lot of use out of the 777. I did, however, buy the 787. I don't get a lot of use out of it either, but the price was right. It is a beautiful aircraft visually. I haven't had too many issues, but I do miss the way PMDG simplifies certain things. Unlike many, I do like the team at QW and I do believe they do their best to address issues. In addition, I know it is a lighter aircraft, but I really like their 757 in FSX, and I really want it for P3D. In the end, it is really about how much I'll use the aircraft and how much it costs.

I try to do reasonably realistic flights (correct aircraft/destination/origin/airline), so I don't see an opportunity to use the 747 package very often. The 747-400 is being retired by many airlines and the 747-8's pax usage is very limited. I don't typically do cargo flights, but if I did, I'd rather see a 757, because it is used by UPS and FedEx.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

3 minutes ago, duckbilled said:

I totally agree with this, but my explanation is a little different. In FSX, I had the NGX and their 777. Because of the cost, I didn't get the 777 for P3D, but I did re-buy the NGX. Most of my flight are less than 5 hours, so I didn't get a lot of use out of the 777. I did, however, buy the 787. I don't get a lot of use out of it either, but the price was right. It is a beautiful aircraft visually. I haven't had too many issues, but I do miss the way PMDG simplifies certain things. Unlike many, I do like the team at QW and I do believe they do their best to address issues. In addition, I know it is a lighter aircraft, but I really like their 757 in FSX, and I really want it for P3D. In the end, it is really about how much I'll use the aircraft and how much it costs.

I try to do reasonably realistic flights (correct aircraft/destination/origin/airline), so I don't see an opportunity to use the 747 package very often. The 747-400 is being retired by many airlines and the 747-8's pax usage is very limited. I don't typically do cargo flights, but if I did, I'd rather see a 757, because it is used by UPS and FedEx.

FedEx contracts out it's 74 flying 😉

beta.gif   

My Liveries

16 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Please explain what systems the NGX has over the iFly 737. I'll wait.  Your word not allowed dismissive attitude is showing. I own both. Both are quality products.  In fact the iFly 737 can ACTUALLY navigate an RF Leg while the NGX is incapable of doing so unless it generates numerous imaginary points to create an artificial sense of of a curved leg.  The fact you say you returned the aircraft means you owned it less than 30 days. I'm willing to bet you only gave it a couple legs.  To even suggest that you somehow know the complete depth of a product with such little time in it should already disqualify your uniformed review. Sorry.

I don't have the iFly 737 but I do have the PMDG NGX - does the iFly have an HGS?

I do not see it mentioned in the product feature page of the iFly site as of this day:

http://www.iflysimsoft.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?PID=17

Nor is an HGS part of SP1:

http://www.iflysimsoft.com/NewsDetail.aspx?PID=7