bean_sprout

Ansiotropic - nVidia CP vs P3Dv4

Setting Ansiotropic to 16x does not work in P3D v4 on my 1070 GTX SLI rig with driver 411.70.  It does work if set in the nVidia control panel as a P3D game setting.

How do you know if Ansio 16x is not working - set your plane on the runway and the centerline will start to blur about 100 out front.

Cheers
bs

• Like 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Haven’t tried it yet but I will test it later today.

Very interesting observation. I haven't tried this myself (not near my flight sim PC right now) but maybe Rob Ainscough or Steve Waite could investigate. This is their area of expertise.

I have been very frustrated with the blurred centerline and have not been able to find a solution.  I have a 1080ti and tried several different drivers.  I had Anisotropic 16x set in the sim.  I tried setting it in the NVidia control panel and the blurred centerline is gone!  Seems to have cleaned up the view overall.  Thanks so much for the tip.

hank  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fueliehead said:

I have been very frustrated with the blurred centerline and have not been able to find a solution.  I have a 1080ti and tried several different drivers.  I had Anisotropic 16x set in the sim.  I tried setting it in the NVidia control panel and the blurred centerline is gone!  Seems to have cleaned up the view overall.  Thanks so much for the tip.

hank  

So do you leave it set at 16x in sim and additionally set it in NCP?

I'm running v4.3 with a Geforce 1080Ti and I have anistropic filtering set to 16x in the game. I don't see any blurring whatsoever of the centerline, runway edge lines, or any other markings, virtually in to infinity. I have never found it necessary to use the Nvidia CP, all the in game settings have always worked fine for me.

• Upvote 1

I tried this yesterday, enabling the anisotropic in the CP and somehow my sim looks better now. I set the anisotropic to trilinear in the sim, not sure if that´s the correct way to do it.

55 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

So do you leave it set at 16x in sim and additionally set it in NCP?

I did not change the in sim setting, it is set to 16x.  I added the setting in NCP.

4 hours ago, fueliehead said:

hank  

Just tried this and it worked great! High anisotropic settings in the P3D settings has always affected my framerates. 

Moving the settings out to my 1080 (which had plenty of breathing room) solved the problem for me. Now good!

Also moved AA out to Nvidia CP, that helped a lot too.

20 hours ago, Henry Street said:

Just tried this and it worked great! High anisotropic settings in the P3D settings has always affected my framerates. 

Moving the settings out to my 1080 (which had plenty of breathing room) solved the problem for me. Now good!

Also moved AA out to Nvidia CP, that helped a lot too. 

Would you mind sharing your AA settings?  I played with this yesterday but couldn't get good results using NCP for AA.  Thanks.

The aniso settings work fine in the game and also work in CP setup too. I've not had time to test if there's any difference in performance and will be interested to see if the P3D setting is outperformed by the corresponding CP setting of the same. If so it would more than likely seem to be a result of the problem in that system anyway.

If any settings don't change the look in-game, or for any reason of odd behaviour, the first thing to try is selecting the P3D profile in CP and Restore/Apply, then go back to the in game settings and try them out again.

Edited by SteveW

11 minutes ago, zwenna said:

It also depends on the used Driver I think.

No... Updates are improvements for games. P3D has this profile for a long time. Nothing changed there...

Edited by GSalden

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

No... Updates are improvements for games. P3D has this profile for a long time. Nothing changed there...

...and yet some drivers are better than others 😎

Michael Moe

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Still, quite a few people prefer certain drivers because other ones give them problems in P3D... Maybe the profile hasn't changed but something else in the driver might affect things...? (I myself never notice a difference with any driver though...)

5 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

...and yet some drivers are better than others 😎

Michael Moe

Always the same people see improvements and higher fps with each release.

And others, myself included, never have had driver issues nor seen all those improvements.

Imho it is all about a correct driver install.

If the driver is updated then the profile should be 'Restore/Apply' d because it is uncertain if the offsets match the driver. So many faults and differences in performance and so on attributable to profile.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:14 PM, GSalden said:

Always the same people see improvements and higher fps with each release.

They're the ones who don't take ice with their whiskey! 😄

Out of interest I tested it, and I see no difference on screenshots I took for comparisons.

Tested following:

1. Nvidia CP default + 16x Aniso in P3D

2. Nvidia CP 16x Aniso + 16x Aniso in P3D

3. Nvidia CP default + Trilinear in P3D

The only difference I could spot was a 3rd one. 1st and 2nd = none.

1 hour ago, SimonC said:

Out of interest I tested it, and I see no difference on screenshots I took for comparisons.

Tested following:

1. Nvidia CP default + 16x Aniso in P3D

2. Nvidia CP 16x Aniso + 16x Aniso in P3D

3. Nvidia CP default + Trilinear in P3D

The only difference I could spot was a 3rd one. 1st and 2nd = none.

1 & 2 are the same and 3 is different. So your test seems to show things working OK.

...what I did was screenshot and zoom into the images. CP Restore/Apply. Then took shots of Tri, 2x,4x,8x,16xaniso. All show slightly different with clearer far distance for higher numbers. CP setting overrides for the same result.

9 hours ago, SteveW said:

...what I did was screenshot and zoom into the images. CP Restore/Apply. Then took shots of Tri, 2x,4x,8x,16xaniso. All show slightly different with clearer far distance for higher numbers. CP setting overrides for the same result.

That's right, it overrides, but setting 16x Aniso additionally to 16x Aniso already in the sim (or just instead) brings no improvement as stated in the first post, that was my point.

31 minutes ago, SimonC said:

That's right, it overrides, but setting 16x Aniso additionally to 16x Aniso already in the sim (or just instead) brings no improvement as stated in the first post, that was my point.

With 16 in the sim setting 16 in CP makes no change - why would it? They are the same.

Edited by SteveW

Setting aniso in the sim or overriding with CP is the same result - they are not re-rendered even more accurately they are already done:

Texture filtering: This is the method of projection of textures onto the facets. Anisotropic means that the view is calculated for all angles, linear simply meets the facet with the texture. At the far distance where textures are very small projections, anisotropic settings improve the clarity by interpolating the texture more accurately. 

TextureFilter.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SteveW said:
Texture filtering: This is the method of projection of textures onto the facets. Anisotropic means that the view is calculated for all angles, linear simply meets the facet with the texture. At the far distance where textures are very small projections, anisotropic settings improve the clarity by interpolating the texture more accurately. 

Been following this thread and...thanks for this explanation. After I did a little more experimentation, it is the AA settings moved out to my 1080 that improved my framerates....not the anisotropic settings.

Again, thanks for the explanation. 

• Like 1