spilok

Do you use a Download Accelerator?

Recommended Posts

Many downloads in Flight Sim are quite large....and I was wondering if you use a specific Download Accelerator for Flight Sim.  I was using IDM or Internet Download Manager, but I started having some issues with its performance so I'm now looking for one that is "automatic", in that when I click to download anything, it defaults to the accelerator. 

Just curious if you have a recommendation for a good, simple, fast, and intelligent accelerator.

 

Stan

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

On my previous computer (just replaced it last week) I was using "Free Download Manager" and activated the "browser integration" option for Chrome. All my downloads were managed within the browser without having to open a different window for that application. Worked very well. I don't know though if it is an "accelerator", but it can resume an interrupted download. There might be other solution out there, I haven't searched any further since it did the job for me.

I appreciated it the most during the years where I had to download my ORBX sceneries from the Flightsim Store.

Share this post


Link to post

I used them in former times .. But at least since two years I haven't. I never experienced any problem (neither speed nor quality) with FF.

Edited by Nemo

Share this post


Link to post

I use Internet Download Manager (IDM) and find it very useful for speeding up most downloads because it opens several download streams.  Its only downside is that it intercepts and downloads pdfs also.  I'm too lazy to figure out a workaround for this slight annoyance because the rest of the package is worth it to me.  One upside of the downloaded pdfs is that you can then reproduce them when necessary.

 

Jim Driskell 

Share this post


Link to post

I use JDownloader 2, it's free (donationware but doesn't nag), real flexible and can do stuff like match hashes to make sure the file is right.  Works nice for saving YouTube videos like tutorials, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've never really felt the need to. With a download speed of over 300 mbps I can download really large files in a relatively short time.

Share this post


Link to post

Must be nice to have such a big pipe.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

Must be nice to have such a big pipe.

I've been told that before.....😁

But seriously, on a good day I have hit 350 mbps. My ISP is Comcast, AKA XFinity,  East Coast USA, near Washington DC, but thankfully far enough away......😎

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

I've been told that before.....😁

But seriously, on a good day I have hit 350 mbps. My ISP is Comcast, AKA XFinity,  East Coast USA, near Washington DC, but thankfully far enough away......😎

 

Sorry to burst your bubble, I'm on Gigabyte Fiber at 950 mbps lol

Edited by ZKOKQ

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

 

Sorry to burst your bubble, I'm on Gigabyte Fiber at 950 mbps lol

I am humbled...😯

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am humbled too.  950 gigs!  INCREDIBLE.

Stan

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

I use Internet Download Manager (IDM) and find it very useful for speeding up most downloads because it opens several download streams.  Its only downside is that it intercepts and downloads pdfs also.  I'm too lazy to figure out a workaround for this slight annoyance because the rest of the package is worth it to me.  One upside of the downloaded pdfs is that you can then reproduce them when necessary.

 

Jim Driskell 

That was my problem too.  Intercepted pdfs!  Why that happens, I have no idea.  For a few months, it didn't do that....now all of a sudden, it's back to those unnecessary downloads.

Stan

Share this post


Link to post

Buffy,

I D/Led "JDownloader 2" at your suggestion (64-bit).  Almost completed the installation, but when it requested I provide a Domain Name I was at a loss (fee is required to purchase a Name).  What gives with that since it's for personal use, not a business app?.  So I I abandoned this app for now.

I'm actually satisfied with my current download speeds anyway, but I try to take new approaches every now and then...   

 

Share this post


Link to post

domain name? for what? i never had to put one.

Unless its asking you if you want to set up accounts like to sign into youtube, etc  That's optional though.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, spilok said:

I am humbled too.  950 gigs!  INCREDIBLE.

Stan

He said 950 Mb/s - not 950 gigs (or Gb/s). 😉 
(I doubt that much people have that... expect ISP's perhaps)

I use Internet Download Manager (IDM) and I love it. Worth the price and truly works as intended.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, spilok said:

That was my problem too.  Intercepted pdfs!  Why that happens, I have no idea.  For a few months, it didn't do that....now all of a sudden, it's back to those unnecessary downloads.

Stan

I use IDM and pdf's I download using IE, anything I download from Chrome auto uses IDM.

So download PDF using IE or right click and choose IDM from the menu if you want to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

He said 950 Mb/s - not 950 gigs (or Gb/s). 😉 
(I doubt that much people have that... expect ISP's perhaps)

I don't know, we don't have fiber available in my neck of the woods, but according to this it's certainly possible at the consumer level, it just depends on your location and availability...

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/how-fast-is-fiber/

Download speeds of up to 1000 mbps. apparently.

Share this post


Link to post

I use Internet Download Manager also, have for several years now with no problems.

Share this post


Link to post

Buffy - FYI:

It seems I downloaded a commercial-type app called "ADManager-Plus" by mistake - (which requires a Domain Name to run it).  But I finally got JDownloader and installed it... Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

Buffy - FYI:

It seems I downloaded a commercial-type app called "ADManager-Plus" by mistake - (which requires a Domain Name to run it).  But I finally got JDownloader and installed it... Thanks.

Yay!  I'm glad you got the right one; I think you'll really like it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2019 at 7:42 PM, spilok said:

That was my problem too.  Intercepted pdfs!  Why that happens, I have no idea.  For a few months, it didn't do that....now all of a sudden, it's back to those unnecessary downloads.

Stan

Jim and Stan...try this. Start IDM and go to Downloads/Options/File Types and delete the PDF entry from the list of files to be automatically downloaded.........Doug

Share this post


Link to post

W2DR,

Now that sounds like a great idea. It also sounds like it will work.   Did it!!!

Stan

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

I don't know, we don't have fiber available in my neck of the woods, but according to this it's certainly possible at the consumer level, it just depends on your location and availability...

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/how-fast-is-fiber/

Download speeds of up to 1000 mbps. apparently.

I'm not really sure what you mean with this?! Yes, 1.000 Mbps is certainly possible with regular fiber connections - even with coax cables. We have several places here in Denmark, where it's possible to have 1 Gbps (or 1.000 Mbps) delivered through a fiber-connection or coax-cabling - provided the quality is adequate.

But the quote I was refering to, mentioned 1.000 (or 950) Gbps! or neary 1 Tbps.

Again, I doubt any consumer level instant have THAT connection - expect ISP's etc...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

But the quote I was refering to, mentioned 1.000 (or 950) Gbps! or neary 1 Tbps.

Again, I doubt any consumer level instant have THAT connection - expect ISP's etc...

Right, my mistake...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now