new RC is out. I had to manually update XP with the installer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Alright does it include the all-new weather engine?

11.3 is done, who knows what will be in 11.4 as they have not said, dont think there will be any more bug fixes as they have already stated most of the team are working on 11.4

20 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

11.3 is done, who knows what will be in 11.4 as they have not said, dont think there will be any more bug fixes as they have already stated most of the team are working on 11.4

Yep, 1.4 is the transition to Vulkan/Metal graphics, in progress. The dev blog says they're putting a hold on further optimizing for performance in 11.30, because there's no point in working on Open GL when they're about to switch over to the new graphics API. 

And that's gotta be a tongue-in-cheek comment on a new weather engine. 🙂  The magic number on that one starts with a 12, if it happens at all.

8 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Alright does it include the all-new weather engine?

Planned for 11.32.

3 hours ago, Paraffin said:

The magic number on that one starts with a 12

X-Plane 120.0 😁

14 hours ago, Paraffin said:

And that's gotta be a tongue-in-cheek comment on a new weather engine. 🙂

23 hours ago, CarlosF said:

Vulkan is next

Can't come fast enough! Will be great to be done with Open GL.

Usually I support Laminars efforts to include a working ATC with X-Plane. Yesterday however, it was force quit time again.

For multiple times, I tried to land at LAX by getting a pop-up clearance. And every goddamned time, I was cleared and then instructed to "descend and maintain 1000 feet" (I was around CIVET at that time, nowhere close LAX), effectively vectoring me into mountains and death.

Really makes you wonder what Laminar is doing there. It's just really, really bad. I mean even hobby third party products (124th ATC) are superior to this.

Edited by Colonel X

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

Really makes you wonder what Laminar is doing there. It's just really, really bad. I mean even hobby third party products (124th ATC) are superior to this.

Yep, it's one of the biggest complaints of the sim (along with seasons and weather). We were promised way back at the beginning of the X-Plane 10 run that eventually the ATC would support VFR flights as well, but it's now so long overdue that I wonder if they'll ever do anything more to it.

That being said, I never found anything particularly good for the other sims as well. Most of the paid stuff I used a few years ago would either vector me into a mountain or just do weird things. Maybe things have improved since then, but it seems nobody has really got this right yet. For VFR flights VATSIM is not particularly great, and only the largest airports are manned sporadically. There is the excellent PilotEdge, but this one is limited to the US and manned during off hours for someone in Europe.

I think if someone made a decent manned ATC service for Europe that follows European rules for a monthly subscription it would actually be pretty popular

I think that since vulkan came into play, XP's roadmap  diverted. It does makes sence to give vulkan a priority as I believe it will set the foundation for things to come. ATC, seasons and whatever else, will eventually be sorted out, maybe late XP11 (I wouldn't bet on it) or early XP12.

I for one want performance sorted out, its not there yet, maybe LR has no way of getting more out of OpenGL and thus the move to vulkan. I rather have a smooth sim with cero hiccups, than ATC or seasons. I'm sure these will eventually be offered by third party developers which I'm sure will be better than what LR will include in the sim.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tonywob said:

Yep, it's one of the biggest complaints of the sim (along with seasons and weather). We were promised way back at the beginning of the X-Plane 10 run that eventually the ATC would support VFR flights as well, but it's now so long overdue that I wonder if they'll ever do anything more to it.

I encourage you to try out 124th ATC, it actually works really well with IFR. I just dislike having 3rd party (X-plane 10 style) windows in my sim, and it almost looks like it's abandonware as it hasn't been updated in over a year. It's still much better (real approaches anyone?) compared to vanilla ATC (especially if you manually install custom voices). I deinstalled it after having one or two CTD's which I blame the plug-in for anyway.

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Yesterday however, it was force quit time again.

I wrote force quit but I meant RAGE QUIT.

XP15 ATC like FSX. XP16 Wx like FSX.

ATC ain't gonna happen soon enough. 

For Europe one can always try Vatsim / X-ivap , especially for uK / Netherlands / Germany , they do have good ATC coverage , the best i found was EHAM all towers.  Usually the evening hours and weekends has a good coverage. I prefer vatsim.  Been a few years that i haven't done an online flight , might be different now.

Think XP11 cycle is very close to final just my opinion. 

They have diverted more towards Vulkan. They need to change that stupid water , the sun etc.. 

All that we wish to see or change in XP11 won't come true, i have given up on XP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

All that we wish to see or change in XP11 won't come true.

It has and it will, give it time.

Historically speaking, this is how XP has shown. I do have some frustrations just like you have, but wont give up on XP, what else is there, P3D? no way, I've given up on that one long time ago, I did not want to spend $$$$$$ to make it decent, and even now, it is still full of performance issues.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

It has and it will, give it time.

Historically speaking, this is how XP has shown. I do have some frustrations just like you have, but wont give up on XP, what else is there, P3D? no way, I've given up on that one long time ago, I did not want to spend $$$$$$ to make it decent, and even now, it is still full of performance issues.

P3dlol or AFS2 no chance i would even consider of using them. They don't have the light. 

do understand that xp  has come a long way and it being a small team they have done a fantastic job , at least to me it's a big difference from XP10 to 11. But there are certain quirks that for me are very irritating.

by giving up i meant not expecting anything and just using it the way it is.  Yes the only thing right now that i expect from LR is vulkan being ported.

This is the only civil capable of good heli flying. and 95% is heli for me. 

Vulkan and the Wx if they can sort these two i will be a happy pilot. I don't care much for ATC. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Think XP11 cycle is very close to final just my opinion. 

A better word might be "stable" for the next couple of years, but I know what you mean.

This will help developers. I think the flight and engine tweaks are probably done now as of 11.30, at least anything that would prevent devs like Carenado from finalizing their v11 models. It's been a moving target until now, and that's caused some delays in upgrading their fleet. I'm sure it's affected other aircraft developers too.

Vulkan/Metal will affect anything else that uses 3D in the sim. That might be why HiFi is delaying their cloud depiction package for ActiveSky until later this year. Other weather add-ons will probably be affected too, if they use any 3D elements. 

And then we'll have a year or two to coast on a stable platform while Laminar works out what they want in XP12. Weather and seasons would be the big draw, but who knows? It was 4 years from XP10 to XP11, which went final in March 2017. That would put XP12's release somewhere in the first quarter of 2021 if it's on a similar schedule. Maybe a public beta in November 2020.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Colonel X said:

I just dislike having 3rd party (X-plane 10 style) windows in my sim, and it almost looks like it's abandonware as it hasn't been updated in over a year.

You just haven't dug deep enough. The latest RCs have terrain avoidance, manual SID/STAR selection and some underlying changes. Some releases are a bit crashy (for me at least), but they tend to work.

http://forum.124thatc.matacchieri.eu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17

Very interesting, thanks for the link! Does it come with XP11s interface style?

Really annoying though it cannot crash on its own and has to take XP down, too...

19 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Very interesting, thanks for the link! Does it come with XP11s interface style?

No.

Tried it last night but then something rather weird was happening when sat at the gate - the aircraft was gradually drifting across the airport despite supposedly being stationary. I guess it could have been either the aircraft (JAR A320) or weather engine (xEnviro) but rolling back to 11.30 seemed to do the trick.

Has anyone experienced, with this beta build (11.31), CTD?  I can not go longer than 15 minutes without experiencing a CDT.  

Edited by gpf3m

On 1/28/2019 at 11:29 AM, Paraffin said:

A better word might be "stable" for the next couple of years, but I know what you mean.

This will help developers. I think the flight and engine tweaks are probably done now as of 11.30, at least anything that would prevent devs like Carenado from finalizing their v11 models. It's been a moving target until now, and that's caused some delays in upgrading their fleet. I'm sure it's affected other aircraft developers too.

Vulkan/Metal will affect anything else that uses 3D in the sim. That might be why HiFi is delaying their cloud depiction package for ActiveSky until later this year. Other weather add-ons will probably be affected too, if they use any 3D elements. 

And then we'll have a year or two to coast on a stable platform while Laminar works out what they want in XP12. Weather and seasons would be the big draw, but who knows? It was 4 years from XP10 to XP11, which went final in March 2017. That would put XP12's release somewhere in the first quarter of 2021 if it's on a similar schedule. Maybe a public beta in November 2020.

Austin has more flight dynamics tweaks for 11.40! Carenado will never be stable! lol........