Sign in to follow this  
MPatrickW

my new i7 9700k is worse!!?

My previous setup: i5 6600k, Asus z170, 16gb ram, 1080ti ran pretty smoothly (with fps limited to 25).  P3D settings sensible  not pushing it too hard, all was good.   I recently rebuilt my PC around an MSI z390 board, i7 9700k, 32gb ram, and the same graphics card 1080ti.  All SSDs and P3D v4.4 settings are untouched and precisely the same as before.  But now P3D stutters badly and has 20% lower fps than before with six scenarios loaded to benchmark before and after.  New BIOS settings checked and new memory is recognised correctly at 3200.  I've tried changing fps limit, to no effect.  I'm baffled, after spending £800+ that my P3D performance is worse!  I must be missing something.  Any help or advice is desperately needed please!

Maybe i misunterstood you, but did you port your old install of P3D to the new system?

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

No software changes, just plugged in all SSDs from the old PC inc dedicated D; P3D SSD to the new board.  all other software and SSDs behaving fine.

Have you installed the motherboard chipset driver?

What OS?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Also double-check whatever virus/security scanning software you are using.  Depending on how it is designed, a large change in your hardware may default the virus scanning software settings back to a "default" setting where your "Exclusions" for any P3D files/folders/drives may have been removed (I'm assuming you do exclude your P3D stuff from realtime virus scanning.  If not, go do that now and see if it helps).  

Edited by FalconAF

Rick Ryan

All MSI chipset and utilities installed (except Norton).  

Win 10 64bit

No virus scanning. It is  'clean' PC only used for P3D and Oculus, no other software or email.

Thanks for the advice guys, but still baffled why it is so bad.

I want to make sure that I understand correctly. You just added to a completely new build your two old ssds?

If that's the case you will have big issues, windows, motherboard, cpu that was on the other system is not the same as the new one. During installation, windows will optimize the system on base of what you have.

Even you cloned your hard drives there are way too many hardware changes not to create performance issues. With your new system, you should not have any issues on a clean install.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I recently upgraded to a similar system. Aside from my storage drive, reformatted everything and installed from scratch. Runs like a charm. Over the years I have found this is the best way to do it.

David Porrett

1 hour ago, MPatrickW said:

All MSI chipset and utilities installed (except Norton).  

Yes, but your Z170 chipset bits are still embedded in the OS and boot sector.  No amount of uninstalling things will change that.  You are faced with a wipe and reinstall.  

I agree with Alex and David

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

If I understand your process correctly - you just plugged the OLD system drive into the new system - you are lucky that it even booted up.

You will need to wipe and reinstall the OS and everything else. I suggest uninstalling P3D and anything else that may keep registration info.

Take it step by step - there is no quick solution to your issue.

Vic

• Like 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Unfortuntaly that is solid advise,  there goes a few days of your life lol

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Before you go the full on reinstall everything method, start small and try to delete your shaders, and delete and rebuild your prepar3d.cfg file and see if that helps.  I went from a 4790k to an 8700k without wiping the OS and I didn't have any major issues.  You have been able to do the "dirty OS" upgrade successfully since Windows 7, you just need to make sure to remove all of the old drivers before you swap the hardware.  Now XP and older was another story 🙂

Alan

I agree with vgBaron. I am surprised that your system booted to windows given that you essentially took the system drive from one system and put it in another. You can do that!

1 hour ago, Avidean said:

I am surprised that your system booted to windows

Me too. I've been doing my own rebuilds since the mid '90's when I built a 486DX2 (!) - experimented a few times by just plugging everything back in and have never had a successful boot. Wiping clean to me is the only way to go.

Edited by DavidP

David Porrett