tharpley

GTX 1070 Ti or RTX 2060?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a new system ready to (finally!) make the switch from FSX to P3D v4 and am having a bit of a dilemma over which graphics card to go for.

I don't really want to spend anymore than £400, so I've narrowed it down to either the GTX 1070 Ti (which I can get for ~£390) or the newer RTX 2060 (for ~£330).  In most benchmarks and reviews I've seen, the gaming performance appears to be almost identical between the two, so on paper it seems an obvious choice to go for the newer (and cheaper) RTX 2060. The only thing holding me back is the fact the 1070 Ti has 8GB of VRAM, versus only 6GB in the 2060 (although it is newer and faster GDDR6). What are peoples thoughts on the VRAM - will 6GB in the 2060 be sufficient, or should I go for the 8GB in the 1070 Ti? I usually fly with ORBX scenery and tend to use study level aircraft (PMDG etc.).

My current system only has a GTX 670, so either card is going to be a nice step up, but I don't want to make a choice that's going to severely limit my ability to use p3d!

Appreciate hearing the experience of anyone using either card.

Cheers!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is just my opinion, but I would take a 70 series card over a 60 series card, even if it is a generation newer.

The 1070 series has better memory bandwidth than the 2060 and that matters in flightsimming.. not to mention the VRAM size which also matters if you go to higher resolutions/settings..

Share this post


Link to post

Welcome to the forums.  If the resolution of your monitor it's greater than 1080p I'd recommend the 1070 Ti.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I've been running a Gigabyte GTX-1070Ti for about 10 months now. Highly recommend it.

The 8Gigs of VRAM will come in handy over the 6Gigs the RTX2060 has. I'm running on a 32" 1440p monitor and run some very heavy scenery and aircraft ( ORBX TE/PMDG etc ) …...been very happy with the results in P3Dv4 and XP11.

Chris Boyce

Edited by Chris Boyce

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

This is just my opinion, but I would take a 70 series card over a 60 series card, even if it is a generation newer.

The 1070 series has better memory bandwidth than the 2060 and that matters in flightsimming.. not to mention the VRAM size which also matters if you go to higher resolutions/settings..

Thanks for your response Bert.

Checking the specs for each though, it appears the RTX 2060 actually has the higher memory bandwidth: 336GB/s vs. 256GB/s (although it does have 2GB less VRAM). I'm struggling to decide which is more important though...bandwidth or VRAM size?

 

10 minutes ago, Chris Boyce said:

I've been running a Gigabyte GTX-1070Ti for about 10 months now. Highly recommend it.

The 8Gigs of VRAM will come in handy over the 6Gigs the RTX2060 has. I'm running on a 32" 1440p monitor and run some very heavy scenery and aircraft ( ORBX TE/PMDG etc ) …...been very happy with the results in P3Dv4 and XP11.

Chris Boyce

Thanks for positive report on the 1070 Ti Chris. I'm aiming for a similar setup (only have a 1080p monitor right now, but longer term I'm aiming for 1440p) and run the same scenery and aircraft, so it's good to know the 1070 Ti is capable.

I'm now wondering whether I should spend a little (~£60-100!) more and step up to the RTX 2070 which should have the best of both worlds: newer chipset with faster memory, plus 8GB of VRAM....

Edited by tharpley

Share this post


Link to post

i would suggest that you do some serious research on the 1070ti vs the 2070. Most of the reviews and comments I have seen suggest that there is minimal actual improvement for P3DV4.4 in the 2000 series cards vs the same 1000 series card.

I am running a 1080 with 8GB VRAM at 4k in P3DV4.4 without issue on one monitor.

I throughly agree the 8 GB VRAM is the way to go.

Greg

 

Share this post


Link to post

I am using the RTX2060 at 75mhz 1080p and I am blown away, 30fps minimum.

My cpu is a I7 7700k and 16gb ram

 

I love it

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/3/2019 at 3:29 PM, gregmorin said:

i would suggest that you do some serious research on the 1070ti vs the 2070. Most of the reviews and comments I have seen suggest that there is minimal actual improvement for P3DV4.4 in the 2000 series cards vs the same 1000 series card.

I am running a 1080 with 8GB VRAM at 4k in P3DV4.4 without issue on one monitor.

I throughly agree the 8 GB VRAM is the way to go.

Greg

 

There is a bunch of false information out there regarding this comparison.  I’ve seen some of the reviews on YouTube and they are BS.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi There,

I have the 1070Ti and I find it OK, although I do wish I could have afforded a1080Ti (or 2 x 1070Ti's) at the time of purchase.

Alas this new batch of cards from NVidia are either uber expensive, or are a step backwards in one way or another, probably why the 1070Ti is holding its value.

These videos demonstrate the use of P3D and my 1070Ti card, plus now that I've achieved a stable CPU overclock I've turned my attention to the GPU and am achieving some quite noticable and reliable overclocking.

My Videos on YouTube

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Rogen said:

I do wish I could have afforded a1080Ti (or 2 x 1070Ti's) at the time of purchase.

Bad idea.  Plus a single 2080ti will outperform two 1080ti’s.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Bad idea.  Plus a single 2080ti will outperform two 1080ti’s. 

Affordability and availablity does factor into purchasing.

The 2080Ti  had just come onto market when I purchased the 1070Ti and was pushing up around the high end between $2000.00~$3000.00 AUD mark (still mostly over 2 grand atm).

Even the 1080Ti were around the $1300~$1800 mark and still are if you can find one.

And the 1070Ti was totally the only affordable offering @ $599.00 AUD at the time.

Probably why the 2070 is a top seller being affordable @ ~$769.00 AUD.

So there are no good or bad ideas, just the best that can be afforded.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post

If you can push it I have seen RTX2070 8GB £449, on ebuyer.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rogen said:

Affordability and availablity does factor into purchasing.

The 2080Ti  had just come onto market when I purchased the 1070Ti and was pushing up around the high end between $2000.00~$3000.00 AUD mark (still mostly over 2 grand atm).

Even the 1080Ti were around the $1300~$1800 mark and still are if you can find one.

And the 1070Ti was totally the only affordable offering @ $599.00 AUD at the time.

Probably why the 2070 is a top seller being affordable @ ~$769.00 AUD.

So there are no good or bad ideas, just the best that can be afforded.

Cheers

I totally understand.  I just try and sway people away from SLI so they don’t make the same mistake I did.

Share this post


Link to post

2060 is slightly better than a 1070ti, but if you can, as others have suggested, if you can afford it get a 2070.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now